Scheduled backups not running

Automatic backups are not taken (neither snapshots nor Managed backups). However, manual backups work just fine. I have several sites, all are set to backup either Monthly or Weekly or Daily via Managed Backup.
Plus all have a Weekly Snapshot to S3 set to run on a Sunday looking today through The Hub it looks like most of them aren't actually backing up to either of those schedules for some reason.
I use a system cron that runs wp cron run... every 5 minutes and as far as I can tell they are all running as they should. 
 I use CloudWays hosting.
During the chat we've checked the site with WP Crontrol and there's no "outdated/missed" tasks. But the problem seems to be "something blocking" triggering snapshots.

• James Morris

Hello Mark,

I hope you are well today. I'll be following up with your chat.

Thank you for providing SFTP access. This afforded me the chance to check your crontab. Here's what I found.

Your previous crontab was:

* * * * * cd /home/master/applications/********/public_html/; /usr/bin/nice /usr/local/bin/wp cron event run --due-now > /dev/null 2>&1

The first problem here is this is set to fire every minute. This would quickly cause issues on the server and too much load on your site if the cron fired correctly. Given that I've never seen a cronjob that looks like this before, it's likely it is an incorrect define.

Instead, I've changed your crontab to the following:
    */5 * * * * wget -q -O - https://www.domain.co.uk/wp-cron.php?doing_wp_cron >/dev/null 2>&1

This is a bit more standard setup and is widely recommended for most hosts. While I consider every 5 minutes a bit excessive for most setups (10 is usually quite safe), you may have some plugins that require more frequent poling.

I've checked your site and it appears Managed Backups have backed up as of today and everything seems to be working correctly. Can you please monitor the site over the next 24hrs and verify?

Best regards,

James Morris

• Mark

Hi,

Actually up until this week I was running everything at 5 minutes no 1 minute. I'm currently trialling a few things system cron wise thus the recent change to 1 minute. So basically what I'm saying is the timing of the cron job is nothing to do with the problem, sorry for the confusion.

I'm on the verge of ditching Snapshot backups to be honest as I cannot afford them to be this unreliable as they are clients sites I'm managing (and charging them to do so). I cannot risk backups failing in this way especially as unless I go looking at each individual site there is no way to know the backup failed/did not run on schedule.

Mark