Scheduled Managed Backups not working

Despite having disabled WP-Cron and setting up a custom cron job on the server, scheduled Managed backups are not starting.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Martinus,

I see that you're still using Snapshot 3.1.5 version while 3.1.7 release had some improvements to the schedule so could you try updating to the latest version and give it a try after that?

I would do this for you but the support access is not working for me on your site, so could you also revoke support access and re-grant it in case that the update didn't work so we can access your site to further investigate this.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Martinus

Thank you for your response and for opening support access.

I have checked your site again (both back-end and server) and there are two more things that I think need to be addressed:

1. Is your host - canspace.ca - in any way affiliated or depending on WPEngine? Or was the site moved from WPEngine to canspace.ca? If it was moved, I think we should sort out WPEngine specific configuration as it might actually be affecting that. WPEngine is a great host but they got quite specific requirements and change the way WP works by default quite significantly so if WPEngine is not "involved" now in any way with the hosting, let me know so I could bring back the "generic WP" configuration to the site (of course - if you agree; no data would be lost too).

2. Can you get in touch with your host and ask them if they support "wget" on server? If so, if it can be used in CRON jobs setup or if it's necessary to run cron scripts via PHP interpreter directly? Let me know about their response, please.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Martinus

Thank you for your response!

In that case I let myself do a bit of "clean up" of WPEngine's "leftovers":

- I have cleaned up "wp-config.php" file and additionally enable WP debugging in it and increased memory limit for WP (the original "wp-config.php" file is still on server in case you'd need to restore it, though I don't think it will be necessary)

- I have switched off the WPEngine's "system" mu-plugin (it's still on server, just renamed in order not to be executed).

If anything from WPEngine's configuration was interfering here, it shouldn't anymore, giving us a "clean battlefield" to work with.

I have also checked cron jobs again so it's now run every 5 minutes (to handle all the internal WP tasks) and installed again WP Crontrol plugin to have a "preview" on cron execution.

Finally, I've changed managed backups schedule so it should be run as soon as possible (so I could troubleshoot it). It should be fired in a little over an hour from now so we need to wait for it. After that I'll check the site again and see what to do next - depending on what happens.

Please keep an eye on this thread and I'll update it again in a couple of hours from now. I'm sorry for not giving you an exact timeframe but it depends mostly on whether the backup will be fired up or not and then if it it will complete or not and on the investigation/tests I'll have to conduct after that.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Martinus

Yup, that was automatic. I didn't trigger backup manually, just waited until a scheduled one and apart from what I described in my previous post, I didn't make any other changes meanwhile.

It looks then this solved the issue. However, I think it would be best to keep it "as is" for a couple more days (I mean with debug enabled and Crontrol plugin enabled) to make sure that it is indeed working fine and if so, we can then disable debugging and remove the Crontrol plugin (as they are only for "giving insight into what's going on" - not changing anything on site).

So, I think just keep watching that for a couple of days and if nothing changes and it's still working, just confirm it again here and I'll disable debugging and remove the plugin and you'll be "good to go" :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Martinus

So if all goes well over the next couple of days, then these are probably the changes we'll need to make to all the sites we have on WPMU?

Yeah, I think so. If everything goes fine then "clearing up" WPEngine "left overs" and setting up a cron job exactly the way like it's set now for the site we have dealt with - would be all that has to be done to other sites that experience the same issue.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Martinus

Thank you for confirmation and I'm glad we were able to solve that riddle :slight_smile:

Sure, I can help with other sites as well. I'll just need a bit more information from you:

- a list of those sites (along with login url, admin login and password - those can be temporary ones that you'll remove later)
    - if they are all available via the same cPanel that I have used so far, that's fine; if not, I'll also need access credentials for cPanels or FTP for them.

Please send me these information directly via our contact form here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

As a subject line use only: "ATTN: Adam Czajczyk"
    and include aforementioned info and a link back to this thread in the message.

Please do not post requested information in this thread, just use the contact form linked above.

I'll then check those sites and apply the changes to them and hopefully it will solve the issue there as well :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Martinus

Are they all available via the same cPanel access that I used to sort out the that one we were working on here? If so, then yes, support access should suffice and I'll assume those with enabled access are all affected.

Just let me know when it's granted and confirm, please, about cPanel (that access is necessary for me to proceed).

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.