Scheduled Posts and auto-post to Facebook

So, playing with this plugin, and I thought I had it all working well. Make a post to WordPress, and the post shows up on my Facebook page, with a clip of the content, as well as the first picture from the post. Perfect.

Until I scheduled a post… instead of the content on Facebook, I am getting the post title (with hyperlink working properly), no picture, and in place of the description just the word “false”.

This happened 6 times this morning… every scheduled post came up with this result.

I have checked the page source for the original posts, and all the og: tags are there in the proper format with the proper content… just seems that the plugin didn’t pass this information on to Facebook when it was time to publish. We are also not using the custom meta setting… just basic WordPress post editor.

Any ideas? I’ve got nothing in the error log (it says it’s empty). And again, it works fine when manually publishing the post. It only displays a “false” on Facebook when the post is scheduled.

I do have “Do not allow individual posts to Facebook” enabled… from what I read, all that does is hide the custom facebook meta box… did I misunderstand, and this is the cause of the problem?

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

CanadianCreative

Hi and Thanks for using WPMUdev forums!

You are correct in that turning off individual posts to Facebook should not affect this, it is only for the Meta box.

I’m looking at the code that send the post to Facebook, it seems that things are working, since it is actually being sent, however something isn’t going right in the sequence.

Let’s look at your post-types…are you using custom post types?

And what are your settings for “Post as” ?

Also can Go to your Facebook App Settings (on Facebook) > Edit App> Advanced > Migrations Section > Set “Deprecate offline access” to Disabled.

As for your post pics.. Do you have a featured image set? or just an image in the post?

Are you inserting your pic via url or media library?

What other plugins are you running?

That should get us started! :slight_smile:

Best,

Kimberly

• CanadianCreative
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Let’s look at your post-types…are you using custom post types?

Nope, just standard post settings

And what are your settings for “Post as” ?

Not sure I understand this one. Posts are public, posted by the usual author (all posts, both scheduled and live, are done by the same person)

Also can Go to your Facebook App Settings (on Facebook) > Edit App> Advanced > Migrations Section > Set “Deprecate offline access” to Disabled.

Already done. Had to actually disable that setting in order to allow the extended permissions popup to work properly

As for your post pics.. Do you have a featured image set? or just an image in the post?

Are you inserting your pic via url or media library?

The pic is being entered directly into the post via media library (we do not utilize the featured image). But the og:image tag is properly being set in the source… for whatever reason it is just not passing this info on to Facebook… but only on scheduled posts. And again, the og:description is also being set properly, yet with scheduled posts, only shows up as “false”, but shows up properly when publishing live.

What other plugins are you running?

Lots… but this is the only plugin that has any interaction with Facebook.

The issue I’m having is that the plugin works exactly as it should when you manually publish the post… but when you let WordPress post it via schedule, while all the proper og: tags are inserted into the source, those tags aren’t being passed on to Facebook like they are when publishing manually.

• CanadianCreative
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Here’s what is happening (in pictures and such):

In the WordPress Post (which was scheduled, and posted at the properly scheduled time) we have the meta tags:

<meta property='og:type' content='article' />
    <meta property='og:url' content='http://www.villagegamer.net/2012/04/18/rockstar-and-marvel-announce-max-payne-3-comic/' />
    <meta property='og:site_name' content='Village Gamer' />
    <meta property='og:description' content='Rockstar announced yesterday that a 3-part original Max Payne 3 comic series will be created in partnership between the game developer and Marvel Custom Solutions. The upcoming comic will be released as both a digital graphic novel and in limited ...' />
    <meta property='og:image' content='http://www.villagegamer.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/rockstaryvr.jpg' />

But the attached screenshot is what actually made it to Facebook.

• CanadianCreative
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

And this is from a manually published post (nothing was changed in the settings for WordPress or the plugin between these two posts):

<meta property='og:url' content='http://www.villagegamer.net/2012/04/18/canadian-disney-star-jasmine-richards-releases-anti-bullying-song/' />
    <meta property='og:description' content='Canadian actress and singer Jasmine Richards, best known for her roles in Camp Rock, Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam, Disney/Family Channel sitcoms Naturally, Sadie and Overruled!, is launching an anti-bullying campaign with her song and video &quot;Yo...' />
    <meta property='og:image' content='http://www.villagegamer.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/mini-orby.gif' />

As you can see, the meta tags are the same in both posts (well, the tags are, the content is not), yet the only one that successfully passed all info to Facebook was the one published manually.

I'm stumped.

• CanadianCreative
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Managed to track down the issue: W3 Total Cache

For whatever reason, this plugin seems to be causing some sort of issue between the Facebook site and the UF Plugin.

I really liked the W3 Total Cache plugin though… is there any alternative that has been tested with, and proven to play well with the Ultimate Facebook plugin?

• CanadianCreative
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

That plugin addon sort of works, sort of does not.

It failed to grab the image from the post (or use the fallback image), and still displays a "false" in the story description on Facebook… although right below the false, it also displays the actual og:description content (see attached image).

On the other hand, it does play well with WP Super Cache… not really my cache plugin of choice, but if it works I'll stick with it.

On a side-note, is it possible to have the changes that wpmu-dev-facebook-addon makes standard in the "Ultimate Facebook" addon, and maybe a note that w3 does NOT like the plugin, for future generations to learn from the pain I had to go through (mostly at the hands of my boss, who was the one to notice the issues in the first place)?

• CanadianCreative
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Nope, not using CloudFlare.

I noticed when this rounds of scheduled content went out though, that the "description" showed up twice in each article. So apparently both the Ultimate Facebook plugin, and your addon, are both pushing out the og:description to Facebook, causing it to post the same thing twice (both in the same wall post).

I think I'm just going to have to give up on Cache for the time being. Having proper posts go out the way they are supposed to is higher priority to me (well, the boss) than the half a second that serving cache pages would save.

• CanadianCreative
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Installed the latest version (2.1)… it would appear that scheduled posts are not making it to facebook at all, and manually published posts are only posting the title and link… no thumbnail and no excerpt.

Do I need to set everything up again?

Here are the tags being placed in the post (I also note that it is using a default og:image instead of using the first image found in the post):

<meta property='og:title' content='Still testing' />
    <meta property='og:url' content='http://www.villagegamer.net/2012/04/30/still-testing/' />
    <meta property='og:description' content='Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nam aliquet scelerisque sodales. Aliquam erat volutpat. Nulla facilisi. Proin vitae diam neque. Ut aliquam odio non lorem aliquam vel placerat nulla congue. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in f...' />
    <meta property='og:image' content='http://www.villagegamer.net/wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/wordpress/img/trans.gif' />

The image should be linking to http://www.villagegamer.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/old-server.jpg (which is the only image in the post).

From the error log (which hopefully someone can tell me exactly what I need to look for)

Monday April 30, 2012 6:38 pm 	Unknown 	post_on_facebook 	exception 	OAuthException: (#200) The user hasn't authorized the application to perform this action
    Monday April 30, 2012 6:43 pm Unknown post_on_facebook exception OAuthException: (#200) The user hasn't authorized the application to perform this action

• CanadianCreative
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

As a follow-up, I attempted to reinstall the plugin, as well as reauthorize the application through the Facebook plugin… still receiving the same error in the log though… something about the user having not authorized the application to perform the action (error shows up when attempting to send a previously-scheduled post to Facebook).

In the meantime, I’ve had to roll back to 2.0.1

• CanadianCreative
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

And yet more… I’m noticing that when the “post to Facebook” is stripping tags, it’s also stripping the words that those tags enclose…

Such as… this is what is posted to Facebook Pages:The new will soon be available for free in the iTunes app store and will allow...

Whereas this is the actual excerpt:The new (open a href tag)Voices iOS app(close a href tag) will soon be available for free in the iTunes app store and will allow customers all the functionality of the Voices.com website, including the ability for actors to respond to auditions or check the status of jobs while on the road away from the computer.…

and this is the og:description:The new Voices iOS app will soon be available for free in the iTunes app store and will allow customers all the functionality of the Voices.com website, including the ability for actors to respond to auditions or check the status of jobs while on ...

Is this just because of how Facebook sees the content, or is something to do with a conflict between the a tags in the post, and the htmlspecialchars(wp_strip_all_tags($content), ENT_QUOTES); code in the plugin?

• CanadianCreative
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Nothing, eh? No way to fix the problem with extended permissions, no way to fix the stripping of content from the og:description…?

With version 2.1, scheduled posts don’t even make it to Facebook due to a change made in the Plugin (I know it’s related to the Plugin, because 2.0.1 is still managing to post to Facebook). What do I need to change in order for the posts to start again?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings CanadianCreative,

I have a mountain of folks having similar troubles with the 2.1 version of this plugin.

Are you receiving any errors that you are aware of?

Just trying to put a finger on what the heck is gong on here and if it is the same as the others which all have a specific error.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hi!

Just checking in :slight_smile:

I’m guessing that because we haven’t heard back from you that you’ve got your issue worked out! If you are still having problems or need any other answers on this particular topic please feel free to come back to this thread at anytime. Just be sure to mark it Not Resolved so we don’t miss it!

Thanks for using the WPMU Community!

Best,

Kimberly

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.