Scholar Problems

Please forgive the long message. I bought and installed Scholar 3 days ago. My tickets won't submit and I can't seem to find answers on your site to my scholar problems. Please direct me to where I can get help. My immediate priority is to get 3 columns on my home page working.
I would like my site to consist of either three column pages or right sidebar pages with the home page being a three column page. http://www.onlinelearningexchangebase.com/
1. 3 column left bar is not where it should be.
2. The default pages such as categories are not listed in the admin area so that I can change the template to right sidebar instead of left.
3. There is no left sidebar template in case I need to fall back on using it
4. Widgets do not show in directories such as member directory sidebar.
5. The theme is retaining old information that was changed. (I did not consciously install caching)
6. When I try to edit theme options the site crashes and when I try to access it I get a single message "error". It comes back after approximately half an hour.
7. Since installing scholar the site crashes constantly and is frequently unavailable.
I like the scholar theme and would like to use it but I must confess that I am getting frustrated.
I would truly appreciate help soon. I need to shorten down time on the site.
http://www.onlinelearningexchangebase.com/
Thanks.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again @spachase,

I got stuff set up on a test site. But, inspecting your site more closely, I just noticed there is a problem with the theme on your site: the left sidebar div not only appears beneath the main content div, it is actually inside that div. Not where it should be.

Considering the other difficulties you are experiencing, such as your site crashing regularly, I believe the installation of the theme was faulty. I recommend you deactivate the theme, delete it completely, then re-install and re-activate.

If you still experience the same problems, then I can only presume that the root cause is with your installation of WordPress itself. Let's not go there yet though :slight_smile:

Please delete and re-install the theme, and we'll work from there.

• 11 Plus for Parents
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Downloaded and used your zip file. Still the same problem.

Is theme information being stored somewhere other than in the themes folder?

I am thinking that if I delete the theme, information such as the category selection for spotlight and news should be lost. Yet this information is still there. Remember I mentioned that information is being retained and not always changed when I change it in the Administrators panel.

Also I have a test environment on my desktop using DesktopServer. In addition to buddypress it has only s2member and restrict group creation. Same problem. (No I do not use DektopServer to upload test site to hosting server.)

In this test environment I experimented with replacing the call to 3col sidebar with sidebar. The effect of this was to put the widget at left but hard left leaving the page unbalanced as I saw in one of the discussions. I did this in a child theme of course.

I have since deleted the file in the child theme that was used to carry out the experiment, but still the effect persists.

Could there be a problem with theme cleanup routines?

Removing s2member cannot be a permanent solution, but i shall remove restrict group creation and see what if any effect that has.

Again thanks for your response.

• 11 Plus for Parents

Update 2

Carried out further testing:

1. Stripped down the site (Site 1) and stopped just short of reinstalling WordPress and rebuilt it. No change.

2. Built a completely new site, Site 2. The 3 columns worked but I can't get the group directory etc. widgets to work on the new site, Site 2

I was considering rebuilding Site 1 so I started exporting posts and pages to test the import on Site 2 to make sure that the procedure works.

Something interesting happened, the skewed page was imported into Site 2. If skewed pages can be exported from Site 1 to 2, why not import good pages from 2 to 1. It Worked! And will hopefully continue to work.

Now work needs to be done on item 4 of the original post:

Can anyone help with that?

Thanks in advance.

• 11 Plus for Parents

Hi Patrick,

Further examination shows that when BOTH Allow comments && Allow trackbacks and pingbacks are turned off, then nothing is printed. When nothing is printed 3col left widget moves. If at least "comments are closed" was printed this would solve the problem.

I have been looking at the code below from the comments.php file. I can see that this is where the decision is made but I unable to change the above behaviour. Can you?

<?php if ( pings_open() && !comments_open() && ( is_single() || is_page() ) ) : ?>

<p class="comments-closed pings-open">
    <?php printf( __( 'Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.', 'bp-scholar' ), trackback_url( '0' ) ) ?>
    </p>

<?php elseif ( !comments_open() && ( is_single() || is_page() ) ) : ?>
    <p class="comments-closed">
    <?php _e( 'Comments are closed.', 'bp-scholar' ) ?>
    </p>
    <?php endif; ?>

• 11 Plus for Parents

Hi Patrick,

My immediate problem is the fact that widgets / sidebars don't show for group directory, member directory or Activity.

I have seen some posts on this but no solution that works.

I do not have this problem with other themes that I have tried.

Can you tell me how to solve this problem?

Thanks

• 11 Plus for Parents

Hi Patrick,

With further experimentation I have figured out how to get the group widget to show.

BUT it is of no use to me because it shows up on the left.

I need it to show on the right in a three column arrangement with group info in the middle and the default sidebar/widget on the left.

Please tell me what determines the location of a widget so that I can put it where I need it.

How do I code this?

• 11 Plus for Parents

Dear Patrick,

I do not wish to offend, but if you are fair, you would acknowledge that the feedback that I have had so far is insufficient to solve the Scholar Theme problems that I am experiencing.

Given enough time I can probably find workarounds. This is however undesirable as they would most likely break the site whenever there is an upgrade.

Here are my suggestions for an improved Scholar theme:

1) Installation of Scholar must make allowances for a site that already has BuddyPress specific pages. Perhaps a simple if statement can check for existence of these pages in order to avoid duplication. Not everyone who installs scholar will be starting from scratch; some people will be switching themes.

2) 3 column page template needs attention to prevent 3colleft from moving out of place under certain conditions.

3) Group, member and blog widgets need immediate attention so that they display without the need for tinkering with code.

4) There should be both group right and group left sidebars with the ability to add widgets.

5) There should also be member right and member left and possibly blog right and blog left sidebars/widgets.

There are other problems but these are the ones that I think, that if fixed, would greatly improve the ease of use of Scholar and blow away the competition.

Some of this functionality already exists in the Social Theme and therefore it should not be difficult for someone with the right knowledge to port it to the Scholar theme.

Again, I do not wish to offend. I do like the Scholar theme and want to use it, I think it has great potential, however I am spending too much time problem solving.

I am confident that your staff can have these problem resolved far faster than I ever could.

Thank you for your understanding. I look forward to getting the assistance necessary to solve the above mentioned scholar problems urgently.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hiya @spachase

Terribly sorry for the delay in responding, this thread appears to have slipped completely through the cracks (been using a new system to keep track lately, so hopefully it won't happen again).

I've been chatting with Timothy (while he's been chatting with you), and I think with the nature and number of issues you're having, a first-hand look-see at your installation would be a good idea at this point.

Can you please email me at: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

And include the following:

- Mark to my attention
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include admin/network access
    - Include FTP access

Let's see if can get to the bottom of this... :slight_smile:

• 11 Plus for Parents

Hi Patrick

I believe that all things work together for good... even when I can't see how.

For instance I only intended to pay thirty something dollars for the Scholar theme and support, but somehow when I got the receipt it was for $79 with a full membership to your site. I looked around and decided that I would stay.

Sometimes things go wrong, but there is hope. A survey done in a bank found that customers who had had a problem and had it resolved were happier with the bank than customers who never had a problem. The ball is in your court....

My potential problem is that my 1-month subscription will expire in a couple of days and I am unlikely to renew given my experience. I do think though that I should be given a free month's membership.

Since my last post I made progress. I now have working 3-column pages and a working 3-column group directory with the directory listing in the center and working widgets on both sides. I have been working on 3-column output for the other directories and activities but have not yet implemented them on the site.

I would be happy to submit my changes for review and possible adoption by your group. I am sure that I am not the only one who would like 3 columns. I have learned much from people on the Internet who have given freely and I have no difficulty giving back.

p.s. The whole quote is actually:
    And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose (Romans 8:28 KJV).

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @spachase,

I agree that when folks work together to find resolution to problems, things do work out. Not always in the way we had planned, but...

And, no worries, your support requests do not offend in the least. On the contrary, you are among the most polite of users with difficult issues :slight_smile:

I looked through our recent emails, and cannot find anything from you. Do you wish me to take a look at your admin settings for the theme, etc?

Also, you may wish to check your email for an important message.

• 11 Plus for Parents

Hi Patrick,

Thank you so much for the free 1 month extension to my membership.

Sorry for the delay in my response, it was just one of those weeks complete with ISP problems which seem to be still going on.

Update:
    I rebuilt the site in a different location and did a clean install of Scholar. Unfortunately I am unable to access the old installation by the usual methods. I copied the files to a different domain and can access it through that domain name.

The new install is here

Given the above please tell me how you would like to proceed.

Let's get Scholar living up to its potential!

p.s. how do I give you ftp access?

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @spachase

You're very welcome!

It came to me over the weekend that there are 2 additional options you can explore for your particular use-case:

1. Add your own, spanking new widget area to the main content area in a custom template, and assign that template to a page that you can set as your homepage under "Settings" > "Reading". Here's a great article to learn how:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/how-to-widgetize-a-page-post-header-or-any-other-template-in-wordpress/

2. Try a fabulous new plugin that does the above automatically:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/new-wordpress-sidebar-plugin-gives-you-total-layout-control/

:slight_smile:

• 11 Plus for Parents

Dear Patrick,

Thank you for the links.

Today I found yet another problem with the Scholar theme. When the screen is zoomed to a comfortable viewing size the site message moves out of place.

I believe that the problems I am experiencing with Scholar are not peculiar to me so I went to your Scholar preview site to check it out. Sure enough the same thing happened at your preview site.

I seem to be left with only two choices. Give up on Scholar OR make some noise until the problems are fixed :slight_smile:

Not being the noise-maker type I started looking at some other themes. Honestly I can't find one that I would like to use instead of Scholar so......

• hkim135
    • Flash Drive

I'm having the same type of problems as spachase is with bp-scholar. For me, it's that the side bar (I'm using the default theme with the left side bar) isn't where it should be. There was an unclosed div in page.php file which was fixed, but there's something else going on. After much work, I found also that the problem has to do with comments.

Default template page:
    When comments are disabled, everything looks ok.
    When comments are allowed and and there is a comment, everything looks ok.
    When comments are allowed but there is no comment, side bar is shifted way to the left.
    See this page.

Blog posting page:
    When comments are disabled, everything looks ok.
    When comments are allowed but there is no comment, everything looks ok.
    When comments are allowed and there is a comment, the side bar has slid to under the main content.
    See this page.

I'm almost ready to give up on this beautiful theme!

• 11 Plus for Parents

hkim135,

Don't give up. Let's rally all those who want to see this beautiful theme work as it should.

I'm working on a project right now but I had to take a moment to encourage you and to let you know that if you are interested, I'll post step by step how I solved my comment problem later.

• hkim135
    • Flash Drive

Hi, spachase,

When you have a moment, I'd love to hear how you solved the comment problem!

I've tried other themes, and none looks as lovely as this one, especially for the content-heavy, educational type of site you and I are doing. My post regarding my problems are here. It does sound like the developer is working through a list of problems with the theme, so there is probably work going on behind the scenes.

• hkim135
    • Flash Drive

For anyone who may be interested, what I've found, at least on my own computer and setup, are:

1) There is an unclosed div in page.php
    2) There is an unclosed div in single.php
    3) Buddypress default template also has the side bar slid down under content (bp-scholar builds on that template, no?)

• 11 Plus for Parents

Hi hkim135,

Here is what I did:

1) Activated the child theme

2) Completely removed this statement from the comments.php file -

if ( is_page() && !have_comments() && !comments_open() && !pings_open() )
    return;

and changed this -

<?php _e( 'Comments are closed.', 'bp-scholar' ) ?>

to -

<?php _e( 'OleXb', 'bp-scholar' ) ?>

3) Uploaded the new comments.php to the child theme

Effect?

1. The left column stays in place in the 3-col page that I am using for my home page.

2. The name of my website is printed instead of Comments are closed.

• 11 Plus for Parents

hkim135

Thank you so much for directing me to where you posted your problems. It got me to thinking and already I have solved one of my problems by closing an open div. This could have happened sooooooo much sooner.

Feel free to head over to my site, join yourself up as a free subscriber and look around. If you see any change that I have made that is of interest to you I will post the changes for you.

Take for instance the default behaviour of anyone, member and non member alike, being able to search your membership.

Also note how I have made the group directory and members directory 3-col. I am working on activities next.

We are intelligent beings. This will not defeat us!

• 11 Plus for Parents

I do not agree with your decision to close this ticket.

All the problems that I highlighted in the first post still exist and have not been addressed.

I repeat them for your convenience:

1. 3 column left bar is not where it should be.

2. The default pages such as categories are not listed in the admin area so that I can change the template to right sidebar instead of left.

3. There is no left sidebar template in case I need to fall back on using it

5. The theme is retaining old information that was changed. (I did not consciously install caching)

6. When I try to edit theme options the site crashes and when I try to access it I get a single message "error". It comes back after approximately half an hour.

7. Since installing scholar the site crashes constantly and is frequently unavailable.

and permit me to add another one that I found recently

8. I have noticed that in Firefox, when the screen is zoomed the site message moves out of place. This also happens on your preview site

Please don't close the thread least the problems go unresolved.

• 11 Plus for Parents

It is of great concern to me that any "fixes" I might have implemented will break the site on the next upgrade of Wordpress, Buddypress and/or Scholar.

I therefore need you the professionals to look at the theme and resolve the issues in such a way that this does not happen.... before you close the thread.

Thank you for your understanding.

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

I closed the ticket because you had moved the discussion over to another thread, or so I had thought. Since you have opened up another ticket, I am going to move these issues over there and re close this ticket.

By moving this to the other thread we will have a consolidated and uncluttered list of everything that needs to be addressed with this theme. This will allow us to better and more quickly address these issues.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.