Scholar Theme Archives Page layout off a little?

I'm looking at the archives page and thought something looked a little odd on the page.

http://foodblogforum.com/archive

Then I compared it to the home page and noticed that the layout is what I expected. It seems the archive layout closes the context-box-outer to soon. My title bar is therefore separated from the content of the post. Then there is no space between the content and the title of the next post.

Thanks,
twodeuces

PS - Is there a way to add post thumbnails to archives and put the meta data at the bottom instead of above the excerpt?

• Tammie

@twodeuces: I can see how that could seem off looking on the layout I've updated the theme with a margin in content-box-inner that should give a more uniform look that I think you are after. You can add thumbnails and so on using the same process on home.php in for instance the spotlight posts part. You can also change where the meta goes by just moving in archives.php for instance the following code:

<div class="post-meta-data">
    <div class="meta-date"><?php the_time('F jS, Y') ?> </div>
    <div class="meta-category"> <?php _e( 'in', 'buddypress' ) ?> <?php the_category(', ') ?></div>
    <div class="meta-comments"><?php comments_popup_link( __( 'No Comments »', 'buddypress' ), __( '1 Comment »', 'buddypress' ), __( '% Comments »', 'buddypress' ) ); ?></div>
    <?php if( $bp_existed == 'true' ) { //check if bp existed ?>
    <div class="meta-author"><?php echo get_avatar( get_the_author_email(), '17' ); ?><?php printf( __( 'by %s', 'buddypress' ), bp_core_get_userlink( $post->post_author ) ) ?></div>
    <?php } else { // if not bp detected..let go normal ?>
    <div class="meta-author">
    <?php the_author_link(); ?>
    </div>
    <?php } ?>
    <div class="meta-tag"><?php the_tags( __( 'Tags: ', 'buddypress' ), ', ', '
    '); ?></div>

<div class="clear"></div>
    </div>

You could then put it after the post content which is:

<div class="post-content">

<div class="entry">
    <?php the_excerpt(); ?>
    </div>

</div>

• Tammie

@twodeuces: there are 2 parts to this equation:

1. the header part:

<div class="post" id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>">
    <div class="content-box-outer">
    <div class="h3-background">
    <h3>" rel="bookmark" title="<?php _e( 'Permanent Link to', 'buddypress' ) ?> <?php the_title_attribute(); ?>"><?php the_title(); ?></h3>
    </div></div>

2. the main post part:

<div class="content-box-inner">
    <div class="meta-date"><?php the_time('F jS, Y') ?> </div>
    <div class="meta-category"> <?php _e( 'in', 'buddypress' ) ?> <?php the_category(', ') ?></div>
    <div class="meta-comments"><?php comments_popup_link( __( 'No Comments »', 'buddypress' ), __( '1 Comment »', 'buddypress' ), __( '% Comments »', 'buddypress' ) ); ?></div>
    <?php if( $bp_existed == 'true' ) { //check if bp existed ?>
    <div class="meta-author"><?php echo get_avatar( get_the_author_email(), '17' ); ?><?php printf( __( 'by %s', 'buddypress' ), bp_core_get_userlink( $post->post_author ) ) ?></div>
    <?php } else { // if not bp detected..let go normal ?>
    <div class="meta-author">
    <?php the_author_link(); ?>
    </div>
    <?php } ?>
    <div class="meta-tag"><?php the_tags( __( 'Tags: ', 'buddypress' ), ', ', '
    '); ?></div>

</div>

<div class="entry">
    <?php the_excerpt(); ?>
    </div>

</div>

</div>
    </div>

If you noticed in the header bit: <div class="post" id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>">

<h3>" rel="bookmark" title="<?php _e( 'Permanent Link to', 'buddypress' ) ?> <?php the_title_attribute(); ?>"><?php the_title(); ?></h3>
    </div></div>

This leaves you with 1 div remaining that is then closed at the bottom but isn't part of the styling it's a custom post name div that allows further customisation if you want via css.

Basically header is self containing there is no div left over. If you look at the styling for content-box-outer it is meant to be closed before therefore it's all working as expected. You can add a style to class post or even change archive to get a different result the choice is yours.

• twodeuces

I understand that, and I don't want you to think I'm arguing style since you designed the theme. I was just noting a difference from the home page which has a div structure like this:

</div>
    <div class="entry">
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>

verses the archive section has this

<div id="post-xx">
    </div>
    </div> <-- closing the "content-box-outer"
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>

In the archive section, when the outer content box is closed for that individual post, it creates a floating title bar that looks like it is not attached to any post. This becomes more evident if you change the background color to something different than your content background. I think I went about it the wrong way, but all I wanted to suggest was maybe try something like this:

<div id="post-xx">
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div> <-- close the inner-box
    </div> <-- close the outer-box
    </div>

This would match the look and feel of the homepage. Just a thought. sorry if I came across the wrong way.

• Tammie

@twodeuces: Not at all coming across the wrong way happy to consider. The idea was the archive pages were different however as a different 'type' of content. As it's not a bug let me put it on the check list for if another version comes out consider adding it in. Scholar has had quite a few updates currently and I'd like to keep it at bug fixes for a little while just to let the dust settle on it. I won't ignore this request though it's in my checklist now so will get in at some point or at least reviewed. Does that sound good?

I'm always happy to listen about things. As I said for our themes from now on we're going to invite members only to beta versions so that should make sure you can have your say and get things done right at the start of a project - the more commenting the better then as it can influence the final release.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.