Scholar theme custom design and theme translation

Hi, i've been posting some of my questions under other threads, and gotten som answers, but nothing works in my case.

the site is http://k-plass.no

I cant seem to to overide the deafault.css option, to make my own custom.css or use the child theme.
Cant even override the presests with the css files in the theme.
Also i have trouble with the translation, tried different suggestion regarding theme translation, but now i've had to go throu all the files to change language.

I'd like to get all this sorted before i finish, because of the upgrading.

regards Chris

• Tammie

@wahwahchris: I see the following code:

<link rel="stylesheet" target="_blank" href="http://k-plass.no/wp-content/themes/bp-scholar/_inc/styles/kplass.css" type="text/css" media="all" />

So basically you're already linking to a custom css? However the better method would be to simply add a line in style.css to import that file - far easier. Same goes for custom.css or the child theme but using the structure outlined in the style.css to link up stylesheets. There are also commented lines you can look at removing the // from to get custom / child css working in those files.

As for the language well you would use the po and mo files to do this and here are some useful links:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/load_theme_textdomain
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Translating_WordPress
    http://urbangiraffe.com/articles/translating-wordpress-themes-and-plugins/

• INKstar

Have you ever tried WPML with scholar theme???

It's not really working ?!? :slight_frown:

You got it to work at one point but then with translated categorys the start page slideshow is not working and the dropdon menue is not :slight_frown: ...

mmmh ... so what would you recommend??? I need to have EVERY page and content in 2 languages ... except for the admin who translates it no one really would need to switch back and forth so it could even run on subdomains or whatever!?!?

I found solutions but they dont work with buddypress and if something does it does not work with the them *lol* ... sorry for the hassle I only do this part-time for a non profit organisation and it is killing my time *lol* ... HELP!

• Tammie

I've not tried WPML no but there are default mo and po files made in the recommended method by WordPress using poedit. I'm not as experienced in multiple languages but we have got a few people that are so perhaps one of those will have a suggestion. All I can tell you is we've created the mo and po files as per the right methods. You could create your own using poedit though if you think those would have a better option that or I suggest contacting WPML themselves as they are a plugin you are using.

I will note that the mo and po files have worked for others translating - they are in english you have to create your own for the other languages which perhaps is your problem maybe?

• train4lifewpmu

Hi Folks,

I think I might be experiencing a similar issue (without the languages stuff)...

I'm trying to use the 'Custom Styling' page for BP Scholar. At the top of the page it says:

"If you want to customise the theme options you MUST have default.css selected"

As there is no 'default.css' in the actual theme folders, I have taken this to mean that if I am to edit a theme's styles that I need to select the 'default.css' theme template from the 'Preset Styles' page? Can anyone confirm this?

So, without further instruction, I'm left to assume that if I edit the 'default.css' theme template that these edits will transfer to the 'Preset Style' theme template of my choice? In my case mono.css.

But that is not the case. None of the edits I made transferred to mono. They only changed the 'default.css' theme template...which seems to leave me needing to manually edit a custom.css of my own. But as I found out, the 'custom.css' file in the BP Scholar Theme Folder is somehow locked and therefore uneditable (never seen that before), and the CSS file that seems to be allocated for 'actual' custom edits for the child theme is called 'child.css' (I only found that because I waded through every css file...it's a bit obscure...oh and I've never seen that before either).

This is all a bit confusing. I can see 2 options:

Spend ages editing the 'default.css' theme template (via the 'Custom Styling' page), until it looks like 'mono.css' plus my intended edits; or

Use Firebug to track all of my edits and construct my child.css myself, as I usually do.

Either way this leaves me wondering what purpose the 'Custom Styling' page actually serves.

I've worked with Child Theme Templates before (e.g. Thematics), and they've been far less confusing than this. Which is to say that I could follow the 'available' documentation and did not need to seek assistance.

And I fail to see why anyone would create such a seemingly functional template that requires me to track down links in php and/or css files to tell it to import it's own custom.css files?

Any clarification/confirmation would be helpful :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers

Stephen G

• Tammie

@train4lifewpmu: If you look under preset styles there is one that says default.css pick that and you can use it - it is marked if you look even with text saying to pick that one. Also the video that is on the theme page goes into how you select custom styling I'd suggest looking at that for reference. The custom.css is not locked at all just make sure you have it in styles.css uncommented but it should be by default. Not sure what you mean by locked as could be your settings. I've included a picture for you to show selecting the default.css. One point though this thread was about translation which is something different so please can you start a new thread for a new topic next time.

Default.css uses the green one therefore that is what you would be editing so yes if you want it to be as mono you'd have to do that but therefore that is why we also offer in the parent custom.css and the child themes. Custom styling serves a great purpose to many where they can change a few colours or specific elements or if they don't know code do everything - as all elements are marked they don't have to use firebug they can change it hit refresh and see.

Thematics is a framework which is different thing to a child css however there are no issues with the child.css not sure why you are having such issues but as I said you can use the default.css and that will mean not having to use the child. A framework is also a different thing to a theme itself which Scholar is a theme not a framework hence you don't get all the options you'd get with say thematic.

The way you should think about it is if you are doing 60% + edits to the theme go the custom theme options selecting default.css if you are doing 40% or less then go with a child or custom.css. Anything in between your call but really if you find yourself liking say mono for instance use that then in the child do some basic edits.

As the child css file styles.css states:

/* Uncomment the following line and add your custom child styles to '_inc/css/child.css' */<br />
    @import url( _inc/css/child.css );

It is uncommented for you in the latest version so just add styles to child.css and you're set.

• train4lifewpmu

Hi Tammie,

That was very good of you...and infinitely patient. Reading back over my blurb (the next day), I probably would've walloped me...I was obviously a bit tired...luckily I took a break :slight_smile: So my apologies if it seemed a bit sharp.

What follows here is just a bit of qualitative feedback/suggestion:

I think if there is any frustration, it would be from the seeming assumptions that are made about folks abilities to read unarticulated intentions of developers...you know? the ol' 'too close to one's own work' syndrome :stuck_out_tongue:

e.g. "BuddyPress Scholar also comes not only with the default colour scheme but 6 more styles each with custom image elements to keep the high impact design. If one of those preset styles doesn't fit then you can easily create your own just by using our easy colour picker." (clearly this is not acccurate) & "Theme options that mean no code editing to configure any feature on this theme" (clearly this is not accurate either).

It would seem that some simple edits in the dashboard notes might make your life a whole lot easier by reducing the need for newbies like me to come here with dumb questions:

Eg. "If you want to customise the theme options you MUST have default.css selected" by adding 'in Preset Styles'. Would've saved us both a lot of time :stuck_out_tongue:

A little bit of thoughtful/extra description at the point of use, can save everyone a lot of time...

Thanks again for your kind assistance...if I have need to further discuss the css editing stuff, I'll open another thread.

Many thanks...

Stephen G :slight_smile:

• Tammie

@train4lifewpmu:

I think if there is any frustration, it would be from the seeming assumptions that are made about folks abilities to read unarticulated intentions of developers...you know? the ol' 'too close to one's own work' syndrome :stuck_out_tongue:

Not at all, we are always very open and listen to our members in fact many things have been added in response to members polite and valid requests. We are also not all developers in this company therefore have a whole range of abilities that reflect in what we produce.

e.g. "BuddyPress Scholar also comes not only with the default colour scheme but 6 more styles each with custom image elements to keep the high impact design. If one of those preset styles doesn't fit then you can easily create your own just by using our easy colour picker." (clearly this is not acccurate) & "Theme options that mean no code editing to configure any feature on this theme" (clearly this is not accurate either).

Sorry but both these phrases are accurate you just select default.css and then use the colour picker so it is perfectly accurate. We would never claim something that is not true and this isn't the case. Do you perhaps have to change a lot of colours if you want something specific? Yes. Can you still do it all without knowing a line of code? Yes. Therefore we are not inaccurate.

Eg. "If you want to customise the theme options you MUST have default.css selected" by adding 'in Preset Styles'. Would've saved us both a lot of time :stuck_out_tongue:

That is why we have the video and if you look that is shown in the video where actually customising is gone through as a process.

A little bit of thoughtful/extra description at the point of use, can save everyone a lot of time...

We are always looking to improve what we do however accurate criticism is always appreciated but please do not claim we ever suggest we do something we do not as that is inaccurate.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.