Scholar Theme: IE8 and Footer Formatting Problems

@tammie
@masonjames

Hey guys, thanks so much for all of the help you provide!

I've found another problem with IE8. I'm kicking myself for not testing within this browser with every change that I made. Perhaps this was due to my noobiness as well. In any event, there is a division problem with the main body of content versus the footer. In most of the URLs, including those associated with Buddypress stuff, like the Members Directory url and the Forums url, generated Posts, etc., the division line is great and all of the footer content is housed appropriately. However, with any created wordpress "pages," the division line is almost at the very top and very close to nav bar, hiding behind the main content. As a result, the footer content is compressed up to abut adjacent to the end of the page content, wherever that is for each individual page. I've created a link to a little screencast video to illustrate exactly what I mean. Any help would be much appreciated. Here's the link:

http://screencast.com/t/OWEyODc2MTk

Website link: http://www.physicianassistanted.com

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions!

Dave

• Mason

Hiya David,

I have been testing this for awhile today and am unable to reproduce this error with IE8 on my own install. I setup a test install with Scholar and IE8 and activated many of the same widgets/plugins you've got on your install, along with the custom styling I see you've done in mono.css

At the end of it though, the footer still works as it's supposed to in IE8. Have you changed any of the default template PHP files?

Also, one thing I could not find is (what I think is a plugin) that adds some js and css to every page. It's got 'MB' at the front of it and the amount of code it's adding to each page is rather extensive. It's probably some kind of form-related plugin?

Did you try deactivating all plugins and seeing if the footer issue still exists? If it does, then it's definitely a customization you made at some point along the line. You'll need to go back and retrace your steps there until you find the issue.

Thanks!

• Tammie

@David: Some plugin is adding an extra div or something would be my bet. I really would say this is a lesson in you've got to strip back now. Whilst we can help as best we can there is a limit with so much on a site - we simply can't say what is effecting what sadly. If you can remove all plugins apart from BuddyPress and all custom work if possible then see and build back up you may benefit from this in the long run as you seem to have quite a list of issues we need to deal with.

• David Payne

@Tammie

I can't thank you enough for your help!

I loaded the new update for Scholar you released today and then I went and checked everything on IE8. Sure enough, there was no footer/div formatting problem. I then retraced my steps one at a time with each of the modifications I made to see what was causing the problem. I found it! You may or may not remember me asking you about widgetizing the top right column above the spotlight section in another post. You referred me to a very helpful tutorial that you had created about how to add widgets wherever you'd like. When I created a new widget area there, that's what distorted things in IE8.

Here's exactly what I did:

I found where the spotlight code was in home.php. Just above this, I added the following code:
    <?php if ( !function_exists('dynamic_sidebar') || !dynamic_sidebar('topright-sidebar') ) : ?>
    <?php endif; ?>

Then, I went into the functions.php file and added the following code just underneath where it says /* Register the widget columns */:
    register_sidebars( 1,
    array(
    'name' => 'topright-sidebar',
    'before_widget' => '<div id="%1$s">',
    'after_widget' => '</div>',
    'before_title' => '<h3>',
    'after_title' => '</h3>'
    )
    );

So the above allowed me to have a widget above the spotlight section but it was awkward because there was no background color for the widget. I'm assuming now that this is because it was built into the home.php file instead of an existing sidebar file. Could this be correct?

In any event, it messed things up inside of IE8!

So now I guess the next question is how to get a widget in that area without messing up IE8? Is this possible? I really would love to have that widget there because it's where I'd like to highlight featured posts across the blog network. Is there an easy and workable solution?

Again, Tammie, thanks for all you do! You've been exceptionally helpful in so many ways. I really appreciate everything. I don't know if it's real meaningful to you, but either way, I'm going to shoot you over a bunch of points for being so helpful :slight_smile:

Dave

• Tammie

@David: I'll respond to things then close this ticket as it's becoming off the topic a little lets have one thing per thread far easier to support.

Here is a link on how to add widget areas and if you do right anything won't upset ie 8 :slight_smile:

http://buddydress.com/2010/04/add-a-widget-anywhere-in-3-simple-steps/

I'm closing this one up then just so we don't get someone adding to it as it's a very specific issue to your site. Glad it's resolved and thank you for the points.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.