Scholar theme widgets query

Hi there

I'm using wpmu 2.9.2 and buddypress 1.2.2.1 and using scholar theme
I had this question since long time and I think it's the time to let it out

while configuring widgets I came across 3 of them and I donno how do they work

left-sidebar
3colleft-sidebar
3colright-sidebar

I tried using left-sidebar instead the default-sidebar but I saw nothing so I prefered sticking to the default one

I like to know how 3colleft and 3colright sidebars work and how to switch them on

I like to show extra column on homepage and posts if that possible for adding some ads contents and that what make me look around for an answer

I read the PDF file attached to the theme, I watched the illustration movie for scholar theme but I end up with No answers for my question

I came across templates things but I have No idea about them and to change them or activate anyone of them

I'm building 2 websites now and both own you everything, I was lost before being a premium member in here

Thanks for help guys

• Tammie

@sabuntu: Those sidebars are for the templates you add a template under your page creation you can to the left select a template. All the templates and what they link to are listed in the PDF manual that comes with the theme. To add a sidebar just follow the method in the templates however you will need to do some editing to get another one to the sidebar to make it wider and content to make it smaller - this would impact on things like the slideshow. I'd advise perhaps using the footer or removing for instance the spotlight feature and making that a widget area.

You need to add the following code where you want the widget (not including the code around it just to show it):

<?php if ( !function_exists('dynamic_sidebar')
    || !dynamic_sidebar('name-sidebar') ) : ?>
    <div class="widget-error">
    <?php _e( 'Please log in and add widgets to this column.', 'buddypress' ) ?> /wp-admin/widgets.php?s=&show=&sidebar=name-sidebar"><?php _e( 'Add Widgets', 'buddypress' ) ?>
    </div>
    <?php endif; ?>

Then in functions.php add:

register_sidebars( 1,
    array(
    'name' => 'name-sidebar',
    'before_widget' => '',
    'after_widget' => '<div class="clear"></div></div>',
    'before_title' => '<div class="h4-background"><h4>',
    'after_title' => '</h4></div><div id="%1$s" class="widget-wrapper">'
    )
    );

Name being whatever you are calling your sidebar.

• Sabuntu

Thanks Tammie :slight_smile:

I read the pdf manual which talked a little bit about templates but I didn't see how to add templates and thank you for your effort to show me how, but I have No idea from where do I bring those templates, are they available with the scholar theme or I should get them from somewhere else. :slight_frown:((

I'm so sorry for the question, I'm just a newbie in wpmu world and I like to bee a geek like you guys

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.