Scholar Theme: update so that images don't have to be in Custom Fields?

Hi:

I'm using Scholar, along with The Events Manager plugin for event posts - I tried WPMU Events+ but needed Eventbrite integration and some other functions, so I had to go with this one.

Here is the client production site:
http://few.modernmediajapan.com/

If you look on the front page, you'll see that many Events posts don't have thumbnail images. No matter whether I use the Featured Image or the Insert in Post option, the Events post image thumbnails don't show up on the front page or in the slideshow.

The developer I'm working with said this:

Image issue - it turns out that this theme uses old way of utilizing
images attached with posts - uses custom fields, NOT thumbnail image
feature.
So Events with category "News" will now appear on the top page and in the slideshow, and you
need to manually set which image to show in custom field each time you post an event.

Is this the case? If so, how do I update the theme to use the thumbnail image feature for all posts, including Events posts? I've already talked with the plugin developer and they say this is definitely a theme issue, not a plugin issue. it's a big problem for my client: the people who will be posting these events are not html savvy, and that means I am going to have to spend hours of time each week posting their images for them: which won't work.

Please let me know what to do about this.

thanks,

Terri

update: sorry, I forgot to add a screenshot of the way that Events posts have to have photos added: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tokyoterri/6984187444/)

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi Terri

Thank you for being a member of our community and for posting to the forum.

I had a look at the Scholar Theme, but couldn't reproduce the error you're getting. That being said, Terri, I don't have Events Manager installed. However, all the posts that I created accepted the featured images perfectly and showed up on my homepage.

I had a look at your site and the images that are not showing. Interestingly enough, the images that are not showing doesn't have a URL, but the others have, as you will see from the screenshots I took.

We are currently in the process of updating all our themes and have brought in a new designer to assist with this. So I will discuss this with him at the earliest. In the meantime, please try to add a few more posts with different sizes of images so we can investigate if it is perhaps a image size issue.

All the best and talk soon again.

Gina

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there! :slight_smile:

Just checking in to see how things are going with this one and if you need any further help. :slight_smile:

We haven't heard from you on this thread for a while so I'm going to presume your all fixed up now and don't need any further assistance.

However if you have more questions or need some more help then please feel free to respond in this thread or create a new one and we will be more than happy to offer assistance. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• tokyoterri
    • New Recruit

Hi Timothy:

here's the site:
    http://few.modernmediajapan.com/

Well, I'm just about done with the site, except I still have the problem that regular Posts and the Activity stream do not upload Featured Images to BP-Gallery.

the developer I'm working with says it's a problem with Scholar not using the Featured Image for posts and the Activity stream but that it's a theme issue and I should talk with the theme designers...honestly, I'm just desperate to get this fixed.

what should I do? you can only see the problem from within the site, so I will be glad to give you a login so that you can see what's wrong and let me know how to fix it.

help!

thanks,
    best,

Terri

• tokyoterri
    • New Recruit

Hi Timothy:

Okay, I've decided to settle for the BP-Album Gallery only showing photos that are uploaded by community members, rather than also showing Event post and Regular post photos.

I can make a virtue out of necessity there in explaining this to the client.

The other part of the problem still remains: when I use Scholar's Featured Image function, it only works some of the time. In other words, sometimes the post photo shows up on the front page, sometimes it doesn't.

I know you said you have a dev looking at themes: I'd be happy to let the person sign in as tech on my site, because I have a lot of non-techie members, and they absolutely will not be able to use custom fields just to post a photo.

help!
    thanks,
    Terri

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings tokyoterri,

Sorry for the delay here in a response form our lead developer concerning this issue.

Hopefully he will have the opportunity soon to make his way in here with his invaluable insight and possibly advise us on how to fix this issue.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

@tokyoterri

Hi Terri

I'm just quickly checking in to see if there's any change in the issue. Were you able to resolve it or do you still need support from our side?

If this problem is still persisting I will ping the Developer again. Truly sorry for the delay. Our apologies :disappointed:

Have a good day and look forward to receive your feedback.

Gina

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hi!

Just checking in :slight_smile:

I'm guessing that because we haven't heard back from you that you've got your issue worked out or that we have reached the end of our convo here. If you are still having problems or need any other answers on this particular topic please feel free to come back to this thread at anytime. Just be sure to mark it Not Resolved so we don't miss it!

This ticket is only being Resolved due to lack of activity. It is by no means an action to avoid, brush off or minimize your issue. We are ready and here if you want to re-open at any time and I apologize in advance for any lack of communication if this ticket is being closed in error.

Thanks for being part of the WPMU DEV Community!

Best,
    Kimberly

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.