Scribe Home Page and Upfront are baffling

I use lots of your plugins, but generally use the Thesis Theme. One site owner wanted to use Scribe. She wants to get rid of the "front page" or "home page" (it's a red stage curtain) and have the default page the page you get to after clicking on the red curtain page.

I have not used any of your Upfront themes and, even though I've been using WordPress since 2003 and creating sites since 1994, the UI is baffling to me. I can't see how to do what she wants to do…or much of anythings else. So…

(1) Please tell me how to change the default home page and just get rid of the giant image page that requires users to click through to get info.

(2) Please link to a basic tutorial about how Upfront works and how to navigate it.

Thanks

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello ProSapien,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

(1) Please tell me how to change the default home page and just get rid of the giant image page that requires users to click through to get info.

You may want to change your home page in WordPress settings. To do this please go to your dashboard's

"Settings" -> "Reading" page

and then

- set "Front page displays" option to "A static page (select below)"
    - select one of the existing pages to be used as a front page
    - open front page in the browser, enter the "editor mode" by clicking on "Upfront" link in admin toolbar and customize the layout

(2) Please link to a basic tutorial about how Upfront works and how to navigate it.

Take a look at this basic manual please (PDF download link):
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Upfront_guide.pdf

On this page you'll also find a lot of information (note please that there are links to more detailed descriptions inside the article):
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/scribe/#product-usage

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Adam

• ProSapien

Thanks. I didn't think that would work because I can't see a page that correlates to default front page. If she wants to go back to that, what page do I select?

Thanks for the guide link. I was thrown by Upfront because it bypasses much of the typical WordPress interface. What if my client chooses to switch to a "normal" theme—one that has the pages/posts in the typical pages/posts areas. Will she lose all of that?

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi @ProSapien,

To get the original home page back simply select Your latest posts again in Settings > Reading panel and that will do it.

Thanks for the guide link. I was thrown by Upfront because it bypasses much of the typical WordPress interface. What if my client chooses to switch to a "normal" theme—one that has the pages/posts in the typical pages/posts areas. Will she lose all of that?

Page/post titles and standard content are saved as regular pages so it will be there after you switch to different theme but Upfront elements added to those pages/posts and elements content will not be shown.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.