Search bar in the Wordpress toolbar doesn't work

Hi!

The search bar in the Wordpress toolbar doesn't work. All the other search bars seem to be working though -like the ones displayed at the groups, forums and site members pages.

Here's what an inspection of the element revealed: http://i.imgur.com/EVxaBkt.png
Below is what's displaye when I turn WP_DEBUG on:
"Strict Standards: Non-static method BPDevLimitBlogsPerUser::get_instance() should not be called statically in /home/wheelofcommerce/public_html/wp-content/plugins/limit-blogs-per-user/limit-bogs-per-user.php on line 156

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class ReCAPTCHAPlugin in /home/wheelofcommerce/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-recaptcha/recaptcha.php on line 41

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class WPPlugin in /home/wheelofcommerce/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-recaptcha/wp-plugin.php on line 27

Strict Standards: Declaration of BBP_Forums_Group_Extension::display() should be compatible with BP_Group_Extension::display($group_id = NULL) in /home/wheelofcommerce/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/extend/buddypress/groups.php on line 28

Notice: bbp_setup_current_user was called incorrectly. The current user is being initialized without using $wp->init(). Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 2.3.) in /home/wheelofcommerce/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3560

Notice: bp_setup_current_user was called incorrectly. The current user is being initialized without using $wp->init(). Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 1.7.) in /home/wheelofcommerce/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3560

Notice: Array to string conversion in /home/wheelofcommerce/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bowe-codes/includes/shortcodes.php on line 269

Notice: Array to string conversion in /home/wheelofcommerce/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bowe-codes/includes/shortcodes.php on line 269

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/wheelofcommerce/public_html/wp-content/plugins/limit-blogs-per-user/limit-bogs-per-user.php:156) in /home/wheelofcommerce/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mp-mojo-pro/includes/features/custom-shipping-form/inc/form/model.php on line 104"

Michelle told me this can have something to do with the recent https changes I've made, but that search bar isn't working even when I disable the https. She also told me it could be related to the shopping cart, but the plugin simply can't be disabled -I should be able to disable it at Network admin > MP Mojo > Slide Cart. I don't know if the cart can be related here, as supposedly it has nothing to do with the search bar, but anyway, it's just an idea Michelle made me aware of.

Thanks.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Gabriel! :slight_smile:

What if you were to try disabling all of the plugins (both the mu-plugins & those in the plugins folder; we've got a method that'll work for both noted at the bottom of our Getting Support page), and switch to a default theme?

I've already tried going through a plugin conflict test, but that didn't seem to solve the problem of there not being any search results (even when I searched for a term that should've shown up, and even when I tried installing the Better Search plugin on your site).

Please advise,
    Michael

• Wheel of Commerce

Hi!

I've talked with Tyler now and he told me that search bar in the wp toolbar actually can only find posts, so I'm guessing this is why my searches only work when I use other search bars, like the ones at the groups, forums, or members pages. So, do you recommend any plugins that insert a real search bar there?

There're also 2 other things I'd like to ask about, and since they're both really simple and I've been opening a lot of threads lately, I'll just put them here:
    1)Out of nowhere, an icon of a "little man" is now at the toolbar, being displayed for logged out users. The Admin Bar from Ultimate Branding offers icons like that to insert there, but I've checked and there's nothing selected in the plugin's settings.

2)Do you have any good translator widget to recommend? Or is the Google Translate widget the "less worse" thing I can use for that? I'm well aware that the ideal solution is to have somebody translating the site for me, but even after doing so, the products/services being posted by users would still need translation, so I'd still need a plugin for that.

Thanks.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Gabriel! :slight_smile:

So, do you recommend any plugins that insert a real search bar there?

There don't look to be any plugins out there that would replace the search box there, but one of our members had gone into implementing her own solution (which my colleague Aicee had assisted her with implementing):

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/replacing-wordpress-search-bar

1)Out of nowhere, an icon of a "little man" is now at the toolbar, being displayed for logged out users. The Admin Bar from Ultimate Branding offers icons like that to insert there, but I've checked and there's nothing selected in the plugin's settings.

Odd, I'm not seeing that icon there now, did you change something in the meantime?

2)Do you have any good translator widget to recommend? Or is the Google Translate widget the "less worse" thing I can use for that? I'm well aware that the ideal solution is to have somebody translating the site for me, but even after doing so, the products/services being posted by users would still need translation, so I'd still need a plugin for that.

If you're looking for an automatic translation, that's freely available, then it sounds like Google Translate would be the way to go for now. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Wheel of Commerce

The issue with the icon of the little man was solved.

About the search bar, I can see that what's in that thread seems to be a custom-made solution. Even though I'd like to simply have that native search bar working, it's not a big deal if the only way to have a truly functional search bar is to have the widget inserted somewhere else, like, let's say, the header. Any plugin you'd recommed for that?

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.