search form plugin for a custom page

Hi there !
I use a paid theme that is not from WP MU DEV and I want to add a search form on a page. The theme does not support widgets so I need one with a shortcode or something like this to display it where I want. Do you have a plugin that does this ? Or do you know any other ? Any help will be appreciated. This is my first month here. Thanks in advance !

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Serban,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

What you can do is create your own shortcode to be able to add search with shortcode, all you need to do is add below code to either you child theme functions.php file or create mu-plugin:

// Add Search Shortcode
    function custom_search_shortcode() {
    	get_search_form();
    }
    add_shortcode( 'search_shortcode', 'custom_search_shortcode' );

After that simply add this shortcode [search_shortcode] to your content and that should be it.

Or you can use plugin like this one https://wordpress.org/plugins/amr-shortcode-any-widget/ that will allow you to add your widgets in content via shortcode.

Let us know if this helps :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Dimitris

Hey there Serban,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in! :slight_smile:

Could you please describe to me where you're trying to add this [search_shortcode]? A screenshot would be great!

Also please grant us with support access to your website in order to have a better look.
    You can do so via WPMUDEV -> Support in your admin area.
    For more details on this please refer to https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Serban!

Thank you for granting access.

I'm not quite familiar with the theme that you are using but from what I found it looks like it includes a bunch of "special templates" that are actually only for some specific purposes. For example, the "Announcements" template that is currently assigned to the "Galerii" page doesn't even include WP template tag to display content.

This means that it won't display any content that you put in WP Editor, it seems to be only loading some galleries-related menus and that's all.

The first step then would be to change the template but I suppose that's not the solution because its, well, the gallery page :slight_smile:

What you could do then to override this behavior, would be to use a child-theme and "fix" the "Announcements" page template. I can see that there's some child-theme of current theme available on your site already? Did you created it or is it some kind of "stock" child-theme?

If you can edit it safely, you could:

- copy the "page-templates/news.php" page template from a parent theme to the child theme
    - find this line in a file:

<?php if($redux['mauna_promotion_title_enable'] == true) : ?>
    <header><h3 class="animate-header"><?php the_title(); ?></h3></header>
    <?php endif; ?>

and replace it with this:

<?php if($redux['mauna_promotion_title_enable'] == true) : ?>
    <header><h3 class="animate-header"><?php the_title(); ?></h3></header>
    <article><?php the_content(); ?></article>
    <?php endif; ?>

After switching to a child-theme the "Announcements" page template should be able to show the content that you add via WP Editor right below the page title. Therefore the shortcode would be processed as well.

Alternatively, you may simply switch the "Galerii" page to the "Default Template" page template instead of editing child-theme and switching site to it. This would work pretty much the same except it would change the layout/design of "Galerii" page and I suppose you would need to re-build it slightly (e.g. create a new menu leading to all the galleries and put it on a page as a widget using the "AMR shortcode any widget" plugin that my colleague Predrag mentioned).

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.