Search/category view without entire post

How do you get the blog to show excerpts instead of whole blog posts?

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hiya josephdowdy,

Do you mean on the individual blog posts themselves, you'd like to display the excerpts rather than the blog posts?

Or is there a specific template or section you're referring to? Perhaps you could provide a link or screenshot to illustrate?

Thanks,
    David

• josephdowdy
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Well, it's pretty simple. I'm sorry it wasn't clearer; that's my fault.

When I click on the category, I don't get a list of posts with titles and excerpts. I just get all of the entire blog post entries. It'd be better if it were just the excerpts because more will fit on one page without scrolling down.

• josephdowdy
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

<?php /* Start the Loop */ ?>
    <?php while ( have_posts() ) : the_post(); ?>

<?php
    /* Include the Post-Format-specific template for the content.
    * If you want to overload this in a child theme then include a file
    * called content-___.php (where ___ is the Post Format name) and that will be used instead.
    */
    get_template_part( 'excerpt', get_post_format() );
    ?>
    * Replaced 'content' with 'excerpt'.
    <?php endwhile; ?>

<?php twentyeleven_content_nav( 'nav-below' ); ?>

<?php else : ?>

<article id="post-0" class="post no-results not-found">
    <header class="entry-header">
    <h1 class="entry-title"><?php _e( 'Nothing Found', 'twentyeleven' ); ?></h1>

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

Sorry to interject but I think the confusion here is you shouldn't be changing that template part to excerpt.

get_template_part( 'content', get_post_format() );

That's a call to the file either content.php or content-aside, content-gallery.php ... Now, what Phil was suggesting was where you have the_content() you change to the_excerpt - this will then give you excerpts.

That would be in content.php and all the -postformat.php content files maybe (depends on theme). Content-single.php should only have the_content so that should be left.

I could be wrong but hopefully I'm reading the cross communication here right and have helped - sorry to pipe up :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.