Secure downloads

I am trying to setup the download security with the mask URL like described on the help page, so far no luck. But, isn’t there a way to secure the file using htaccess to prevent a user from navigating to the file?

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi lrainaldi,

There are various ways to restrict access to files, including using htaccess. Membership opts to mask Media Library file and folder locations.

Is there something specific that’s not working though? It usually is just a matter of membership level configuration and if you could provide us some details of how that’s setup I’m sure we can get that sorted.

Thanks,

David

• lrainaldi
    • New Recruit

I have created 3 protectred groups (subscriber,clientuser,employee) and uploaded a sampe text file for group. I have the actual download URL set to the home page and added /files to the masked download URL. I then go to the files and mark each with a group, in this case employee.

I also tried this to an existing photo on that is used on an existing post and the photo shows up if I am logged in or not.

Thanks

Lou

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Lou,

I have the actual download URL set to the home page

That’s probably not correct though unless you are uploading things to your root directory?

Normally it’ll be something like domain.com/wp-content/uploads.

Can you find the actual URL (looking at the Media Library for example and seeing what the directory is) and add that under the Download/Media Protection Options?

Let us know. Thanks!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Just checking if it was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that’s great news.

If not, could you let us know by re-opening this topic, and we’ll get onto it and helping you out asap!

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.