Select from CPT items in Menus

I’m going nuts trying to figure out why I cannot select from my Custom Post Type entries in the menus are under Appearance. I’ve checked the Screen Options tab at the top…everything.

Any ideas?

<?php
register_post_type('products', array(
'label' => 'Products',
'description' => 'Company products',
'public' => true,
'show_ui' => true,
'show_in_menu' => true,
'show_in_nav_menus' => true,
'capability_type' => 'post',
'hierarchical' => true,
'rewrite' => array(
'slug' => ''
),
'query_var' => true,
'exclude_from_search' => false,
'supports' => array(
'title',
'page-attributes'
),
'taxonomies' => array(
'brands'
),
'labels' => array(
'name' => 'Products',
'singular_name' => 'Product',
'menu_name' => 'Products',
'add_new' => 'Add Product',
'add_new_item' => 'Add New Product',
'edit' => 'Edit',
'edit_item' => 'Edit Product',
'new_item' => 'New Product',
'view' => 'View Product',
'view_item' => 'View Product',
'search_items' => 'Search Products',
'not_found' => 'No Products Found',
'not_found_in_trash' => 'No Products Found in Trash',
'parent' => 'Parent Product'
)
));
?>

Shouldn’t this work? The CPT behaves normally …I just cannot select from its added items in the Menus area of WordPress. It would seriously suck to have to add each menu option manually. Not only for me, but for the client to maintain as well.

• Will Ashworth
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I totally thought this was the key:

'show_in_nav_menus' => true,

For whatever reason, that didn’t affect display of the Menus section one way or another. It’s like anything I try changes nothing.

CPTs are supported in menus, right? Maybe I’m just missing something obvious…like it isn’t possible. Figure it would be, though.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Will Ashworth,

Thank you for bringing this item to our attention.

Are you running WordPress 3.5 or?

Regarding the question

CPTs are supported in menus, right?

I am going to ask the lead developer @arnold to answer this for us since I do not have a definitive answer for this question.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Will Ashworth

There were some hard-coded rules, etc. in functions.php that maybe weren’t playing well with 3.5 and I commented them out (they weren’t crucial), then it all resolved itself. Something wasn’t playing well with jQuery or something, cause it was multiple issues going on surrounding the admin area specifically.

Word of advice to others:

• Disable plugins first.
    • If that doesn’t fix it, try verifying nothing out of the ordinary is in functions.
    • See if it still happens on a new, fresh WordPress installation.

I’m no rookie, but still fell for this. Had to take a step back and check things out.

P.S. – Of course, I had a backup of the site this entire time before the 3.5 upgrade.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Will Ashworth,

Thank you for the great input and yes WordPress 3.5 is indeed causing all kinds of anomalies including especially concerning databases and anything addressing $wpdb::prepare

Thank you for letting us know about how you fixed your installation, the additional trouble shooting steps you took, and for being WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Will Ashworth

Oh, there were way more than this issue going on. I ended up reverting back to 3.4 until I can read about the 3.5 aftermath online. My plugins were all up to date, and these were widely used plugins that are updated several times per month…everything should have been working. Permalink functionality (even after resetting .htaccess/permalinks) were completely jacked.

It’ll be interesting to see how this whole 3.5 thing plays itself out.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Will Ashworth,

Thank you so much for your additional input pointing out issues with WordPress 3.5 and I admit it tweaks me because they did this right before Christmas last year with 3.3 with the same kind of results and I once again waited for the first round of big fixes that came with Word Press 3.3.1 as I anticipate will happen with 3.5.1 and I will not personally upgrade until that release.

Thank you also for letting me know that reverting back to version 3.4.2 indeed fixed your site back up – which is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.