Selective backup, preserving plugin data, and resetting WP to defauls

Hey,

I believe I may have messed up one of my mu networks... actually I suspect a poorly written plugin that I installed a while back caused a few problems. Site is slow, new plugins don't work quite right, and i just want to start fresh.

So.. I'd like to try reset the entire network back to wp defaults. However, there are 4 things that I spent an awful lot of time on and would like to see if I can preserve those changes. I'm wondering how I might be able to accomplish this.

I'm wondering if I could simply reset the wp core db tables and replace the core files without affecting the other plugins I have. Or should i backup selected db tables of the individual components (plugins) and restore them later.

Here are the four things I'm most concerned with:

1. Theme manager plugin. I've spent a lot of time customising the descriptions, names and images of all the installed themes.

2. Pretty Plugin manager. Same as above

3. Ultimate Branding. Not as bad, but still quite a few changes that I'd like to keep if possible.

4.Website data, pages and theme. (Divi theme).

All other customisation I think I can deal with manually. There are only 3 other sites, all test data, so those aren't a big deal. And that's pretty much it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Shayne

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Shayne,

1. Theme manager plugin. I've spent a lot of time customising the descriptions, names and images of all the installed themes.

Theme manager plugin has option for import and export its configuration:

Network -> Multisite Theme Manager -> Export and Import

2. Pretty Plugin manager. Same as above

Pretty plugins manager has the same option for Import/Export as Theme manager: Network -> Pretty Plugins -> Export and Import

Ultimate Branding keeps it settings in table wp_sitemeta - problem is that its split to different meta keys and they not always have ub prefix in meta key name (that makes very hard to find all the settings) so you would need to make a copy of that whole table.

4.Website data, pages and theme. (Divi theme).

You can use native import export tools in WordPress https://pl.wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-importer/ to move you content: first you export it to file and then import on fresh installation

You can do that for all you subsites.

As for Divi theme according to its documentation it has import/export options you can use https://www.elegantthemes.com/gallery/divi/documentation/library-import/

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.