Self & premium serve sites on one install?

I'd love to setup a site where I can do both self-serve and premium sites on one install. What I'm thinking is two levels of DIY (with different plugins, themes, storage, etc) then three levels of full-service paid packages. I'm planning on doing the full service sites via either MarketPress or WooCommerce, but I'd rather not have people getting setup on a paid DIY plan seeing the option for the higher levels. Maybe this isn't the right plugin.

Basically, what I want:
Level 1: very basic, as automated as possible, paid
Level 2: a little more advanced, as automated as possible, paid (more)
Level 3: basic custom package, payment is automated, but I handle site setup on the back-end
Level 4: Like level 3, but with a few more plugins
Level 5: Like Level 4, but with a few more plugins

Suggestions?

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

The way Pro Sites works is that each level defines access to what plugins and themes they can use. Each higher level retains the use of those plugins and themes in the level prior.

There is no automated setup of settings, plugins and themes, although integration with our New Blog Templates plugin is something which has been discussed although nothing firm is available at the moment.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template/

The whole payment stuff of Pro Sites can be automated, they signup and get a blog, then you have them pay, their blog is upgraded. If you wish to handle the setup of plugins and such you could do that.

Take care.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

Pay to blog simply makes them page before they can use the admin area at all. There would be no free sites with this option. I believe from your post that all levels are paid so ya Paid To blog would be applicable here.

If you define DIY and configuring their own settings, choosing a theme from your selection then yeah this is what Pro Sites does.

If you define DIY as being able to upload their own themes, plugins and code then no it's not.

For levels as i mentioned:

The way Pro Sites works is that each level defines access to what plugins and themes they can use. Each higher level retains the use of those plugins and themes in the level prior.

So yes, Level 4 would have access to all of the plugins and themes of Level 1,2 and 3 in addition to it's own.

Once they pay they get access to those.

Take care.

• nbostic

I think what I'd really like to do is have 5 paid levels, but only have the first two publicly viewable. I don't think I'm being as clear as I should be on what I'm trying to accomplish, it's been a rough week. Let me attempt again. And maybe what I'm trying to do isn't a Pro Site setup, but Pay to Blog and some other plugins, I'm not sure.

Level 1: Visitor comes to site, says "I want a web site!", goes through a registration and payment system, has a site with some themes, some plugins, some storage. it's DIY in that they have to choose their own theme, activate their own plugins, and choose their own settings, but they don't have to setup WordPress, or install themes and plugins. This person should see and be able to upgrade to Level 2.

Level 2: Same as Level 1, but more themes, plugins, storage.

Level 3: I go solicit business, sell a customer on the service, I setup the site on my multisite install, I do the settings, design, configuration. They have access to more themes and plugins than Level 2, but don't really know about it since I'm managing the site for them. They can't see downgrade options to Level 1 or 2.

Level 4: Same as Level 3 in terms of sign up and setup process. They have access to yet more themes and plugins, but again, don't know about it since I'm managing things. Also can't see downgrades to Level 1 or 2.

Level 5: Same as Level 4, just more plugins. Can't see Level 1 or 2.

Realistically, I'm only going to be promoting Levels 3, 4 & 5 at first, but want to make sure I have things setup to allow levels 1 & 2 down the road.

Would you suggest trying to make it semi-automated with Levels, or do the Pay to Blog module for post privileges, and the extra themes, plugins, and storage? Then just manually go in as Super Admin to take care of Levels 3, 4 & 5?

Thanks for your help, I just want to make sure I'm conceptualizing this correctly.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

I think what I'd really like to do is have 5 paid levels, but only have the first two publicly viewable.

This isn't possible by default. there is no way to hide levels from front end viewing in settings.

There is however with CSS. Each level has it's own CSS class like level-1, level-1, etc. So you could hide them with CSS like:

.level-2{display:none;}

Level 1 - Yes

Level 2 - Yes, They get everything on the levels previous + whatever extra you add. So Level 2 would get everything from level 1 + it's own stuff.

Level 3 - Hiding the levels based on Pro Site level they're already on isn't possible without some custom coding.

Level 4 - Same as Level 3, it's all possible except for the hiding of other levels which would need some custom coding.

Level 5 - Same as I mentioned on level 3 and 4.

You can set up their sites, you can add a Pro Site status but they need to click on the level and go to Paypal if you want the billing to be managed by Pro Sites. Pay To Blog forces them to pay before they can use their site.

What you want could be easy to achieve though. You'd need to play as I've not tested this but something like:

is_pro_site() - Can be used to check if they are on a specific level for a specific blog.

is_pro_user() - This just checks if they have any Pro Sites at all.

So with is_pro_site you could check if they're on level 3, 4 or 5 and if so then use the CSS I mentioned above to hide level 1 and 2.

Or something like:

if (is_pro_site()){
    ENQUEUE YOUR CSS
    }

So this would check if there is a pro site and if there is then hide Level 1 and 2 with the CSS.

It wouldn't be overly hard to achieve but will take some custom coding albiet minimal.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.