Sell: Multi-Domains and Domain Mapping

Let me get to the point,
I want to sell websites to my clients with their own custom domain. I want to get them on monthly payments. Right now in order to do that I believe I have to have:
-A Sub-Domain installation of Multi-site?
That should allow me to properly use multi-domain in conjunction with Domain mapping?

The reason I went with a sub-directory installation of multi-site was because I wanted to avoid getting more and more SSL certificates, but if I am unable to use multi-domains then its oK.

SO, in summary:
My main website is: http://www.dosedaily.com
My clients future site: http://www.healthclinic.com
I should be able to do that under my main dose daily.com site? And my clients will need to get their own SSL certificate if they are accepting payments?

I will also want to use Pro-sites, ad-sharing, white-labeling, and mobile phone app support.

I am asking these questions because I want to start off at the right base with less issues in the future, thanks for your time sire or madam.

• Kunal
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I mean, in order to get a domain name such as Client45.com that client, or myself HAS to pay for a new domain, (using eNom i suppose) (what if they already have their domain ready to go?)

And hosting is taken care of through my WP of course...

I am really just trying to clear up how I should approach this domain mapping with multi-domain, and FYI i already watched the multi-domain video and the domain mapping video.

• Kingdom Studios
    • The Bug Hunter

Let's say you have a site called "mygreathosting.com" and you had a client that wanted to buy client45.com, but host on your site. You could create a subdomain site within your multisite called "client45.mygreathosting.com" and then use Domain Mapping to map Client45.com to "client45.mygreathosting.com". You could use either your domain registration to obtain the Client45.com or have them do it and then map it.

Make more sense?

Martin

• Kunal

Ya that did make a lot of sense, thanks, just the last part, if they already own client45.com can they use multi-site to make client45.mygreathosting.com THEN I would use domain mapping and input information based on the CURRENT domain information for client45.com? Because most of my clients may already own a domain and would like to keep it.

• Kingdom Studios
    • The Bug Hunter

Yes. They would signup for your site creating the subdomain and then tell it to be mapped from their domain to your subdomain.

In order for it to work, they would have to change their current dns settings to your IP address.

If they already have a domain, and a website, the website would have to be a wordpress site in order to work. You would have to have a way to copy their WordPress site to your site. I haven't had to do that yet, so I couldn't tell you the particulars of exactly how to do it.

Regards,

Martin

• Kunal

I found out through my hosting company, Host Gator, that I can have one SSL per shared hosting account. I then asked about Multi-Domain Support and he sent me this link:
    http://support.hostgator.com/articles/ssl-certificates/how-do-i-obtain-an-ssl-certificate

I am trying to understand it, my main concern is that I can set my clients up with their own SSL if needed. I think possible I will need the wild card domain SSL?

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there Kunal,

Thanks for posting on the forums. I see that Martin has answered your questions regarding Multi Domains and Domain mapping.

To simplify and put that all in a single place here is how it works.

Lets say you have site.com

Now your clients will get client1.site.com and client2.site.com etc.

Domain mapping can allow your clients to map client1.com to client1.site.com and so on.

On the other hand Multi Domain allows you to add multiple primary domains your clients can choose from while creating a subsite.

So it can be site.com as main domain and site1.com site2.com as addons.

So the clients can create

client.site.com / client.site1.com / client.site2.com etc and then again using domain mapping allows them to map their own domain.

Domain mapping also allows you to sell domains to your users (using eNom account) so you can make some extra on that too :slight_smile:

As far as SSL in Multisite is concerned, you will need WildCard SSL if you need to SSL all the subsites. But if not, then you can have a SSL per site/domain as well.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers, PC

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there Kunal,

Sorry for the delay in response as I was away due to bad health and could not get back to this any sooner. Please accept my apologies for the uninformed delay and any inconvenience it may have caused.

I will be around in case you have further questions.

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.