Selling Individual Course plus offering Membership

Hi there, before I get started on a project of mine, I wanted to double check something - which wasn't immediately clear from the plugin page.

I imagine using CoursePress along with MarketPress and Membership Pro. But want to check they will work the way I need them to together.

What I would like to achieve is a Free level of membership, where you can see all the courses, and can choose to buy them individually.
But then also offer a Paid level of membership, where all the courses are included.
Will the combo of these three plugins be able to achieve this?

I.e. Free Members log in and see the courses they have paid for (if any) - and can buy any others.
Paid Members log in and see all courses available for free.
(unless they cancel their paid membership and revert to a free member)

I haven't yet attempted to try this - as I'm still at the scoping stage of the project - so just thought I would ask here if anyone could give me a quick answer.

Thanks
Simon

Adam Czajczyk

Hello Simon,

I hope you're having a good day!

I agree that it's not quite clearly stated on the product pages if you can build such a site with those plugins but this is just because it's a bit of uncommon solution. That said, I think it's possible, however will require a bit more work than setting up a typical e-learning page.

The way I see it is to setup a site a common way first: create a set of courses and configure MarketPress to sell them. This way all the visitors to your page will be able to freely browse course's descriptions and then buy the courses at the store.

I would now turn my attention to our Protected Content plugin rather than Membership Pro. You can find it here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/protected-content/

In case of your needs it would be easier to use and simpler to setup IMHO. That said, I'd now create two memberships: a free plan and a paid plan.

Use provided shortcodes for a "free plan" to protect course listing from being publicly viewable. Protect the entire store that way. Now, those users that opt for your "free plan" will be able to browser courses and buy them individually.

Here comes the tricky part though. When user buys a "paid plan" he/she should be able to get all (or selected) courses for free. You may achieve this two ways:

1) Create the copy of every course but don't set the price - set them up as free courses; protect them with shorcodes of "paid plan"

2) Create 100% discount coupons with MarketPress for all those courses that you wish to give for free to the "paid plan" users - again protecting it with "paid plan" membership's shortcodes - give away those coupons.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'll be glad to assist you.

Cheers,
    Adam

slavetotheweb

Thanks for the prompt reply!
    I hadn't considered the protected content plugin as a choice! Interesting.

Coupon codes doesn't sound like it will work for me. If the codes aren't unique to the customer it would be a security concern - and besides, the user shouldn't be tasked with the manual effort of checking out on each course with a coupon - they should simply be unlocked. Plus, the paid members would also be getting access to all future released courses, so we'd have to keep generating and circulating coupons each time a new course was released.

Duplicating the courses is also not ideal, as obviously we have then got two places to remember to update if the course is edited. Plus - features like discussions etc wouldn't carry between the two audiences of the two copies of the course. But it might work.

Hmm - I will see if I can think of another way round it - you've got me thinking!
    Thanks,
    Simon

Adam Czajczyk

Hey Simon,

I hope you're well today!

I wonder if you've managed to find another way round it? Let me know please.
    I know it's not exactly what you have in mind but here's another thought that crossed my mind: our Protected Content plugin lets you create so called "dripping content" subscription which feeds members consecutively with parts of content over time. Would it be of any help to you?

Regards,
    Adam