Send Preview Emails not working

Send Preview Emails stopped working from today, it was working fine before. Getting the following error when I try to send a preview email to one of the email id:

Please check the chat notes for more info.

• Dimitris

Hello there Len,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

As this seems more like a SMTP issue with the account you use, please contact your hosting provider about this email account and the SMTP settings of it and let us know about their response.

To double check that SMTP is working good in plugin's end, please also try to connect another account for SMTP, preferably a GMail account, which should work without any issues.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Len

Hi Dimitris ,

I contacted my host last night. They confirmed all SMTP settings on my site were correct and in order. I also, on the host’s advice, downloaded a separate plugin to test emails and my SMTP connection, Easy WP SMTP. This plugin showed SMTP was working properly and I was able to send various emails of my choosing to different email accounts with no problem. Sending emails only seems to be an issue with e-Newsletter. Please advise.

Thanks,
    Len

• Dimitris

Hi Len

I wonder if there's some kind of conflict in your installation causing this. We could double check this with two ways:
    a) by performing a conflict test. This means that you should first grab a complete website backup (files and database), so you can revert in case you lose any settings. Then deactivate all plugins from network and main site, activate a default theme like TwentySeventeen and check preview again. The following flow chart can further help you on this: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Support-Process-Support-Process.gif

b) you can share your SMTP credentials, so we can test these via our testing sites. As this is public forum, you should send us your details through our safe contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question using this template (keep in mind the subject line as ensures that it gets assigned to me.):

Subject: "Attn: Dimitris"
    - SMTP credentials (email, server, username, password, port, type of connection)
    - link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Dimitris

Hello there Len,##1

appreciate the cooperation here! :slight_smile:

I've just tested to add your SMTP credentials in a testing multisite and preview seems that's working good. I've tried with Gmail, Yahoo and the same email address used in SMTP settings of eNewsletter.

This tells me that there should be some specific setting in server considering this domain or some other plugin is conflicting.

Due to the live nature of this installation, I'd rather advise you to create a staging environment and troubleshoot in there instead. This new installation should have its own database and point into another location/folder in the same server (so both have common settings in server level).
    Our cloud backups (Managed Backups in Snapshot plugin) can help you on this, as they also provide a way to migrate into another domain.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/introducing-managed-wordpress-cloud-backups-for-free/
    (notice the "And When it Comes to Restoring, Oh My!" section).
    You could then proceed with a conflict test as better illustrated in a nice flow chart here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Support-Process-Support-Process.gif

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Len

Hi Dimitris ,

I did do some further testing, although it was not as time intensive and technically frustrating as the method you suggested (I'm not a dev, and it would take me days and hours just to figure out how to do what you want me to do to bug test a problem I have with your plugin!).

Instead, as a workaround for sending a preview email, I 'sent' a Newsletter(s) to the 'Administrator' user group, as you can send Newsletters to one or all user groups. By doing this, I effectively only sent the Newsletter to myself, and it worked fine, testing on two different email addresses unassociated with my domain.

Because e-Newsletter is actually able to send Newsletters to various email addresses via SMTP (and I am getting alternative email plugins, and your 'test connection' emails to do the same) , there can be no theme or plugin conflict with the actual sending of emails. Rather, the Preview function within the draft page of your plugin is faulty on my site. Indeed, every so often when attempting to send a Preview email, I get instead of the error message posted above, the error message "Unable to generate email body".

Could this somehow be related to the already identified bug, which I am also currently experiencing of e-Newsletter failing to save draft content? See here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/e-newletter-draft-is-not-saving-email-content

Because, when Preview attempts to send a Newsletter, it requires the user to save that which is basically a draft copy of the Newsletter before sending. If there is a bug with the saving, could this be why Preview could potentially fail to send?

In any case, this plugin has a few bugs. And in the many years of using this plugin on my site (without new plugins or themes other than updates), I've not experienced nearly these many issues. I hope going forward you can bug test your own software on my site without you wanting me to do it for you. I do pay a lot of money to keep up my membership here, and you wanting me to bug test your software makes me wonder what its for...?

• Dimitris

Hello there Len,

hope you're doing good and I'm really sorry for the frustration here.

Considering the other thread, I can see that it's been committed a fix recently and I've asked our developers to share any possible beta version, so we could share it with you before next plugin update.

I've also tested that again, making some changes in newsletter, saving as draft, but still email preview is working good with your SMTP credentials.

Having said that, I could assist you with the conflict test, if you could first create a staging environment, so this doesn't happen in the live site. If you could do this for us, send us your details through our safe contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question using this template:

- Staging site URL
    - WordPress admin (login url/username/password)

Keep in mind the subject line as ensures that it gets assigned to me.
    Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Len

Hi Dimitris ,

I'm not sure how to create a staging environment. All of this goes way past my knowledge base. I appreciate your assistance, but I do believe I have already sent you all cPanel, WordPress, and email login information I have. I'm really not sure what else you need at this point, or what else I can provide that I haven't already? You should have all the access you need to create a duplicate website test environment on my platform. Am I missing something?

Regards,
    Len

• Dimitris

Hey there Len,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

Creating a staging environment actually surpasses the scope of our support, so it's not something we do for our members, as it would need some extended time from our behalf.

As this is an issue that seems specific to your installation and/or server, we can only test it in there.

As this is a multisite, you should be able to do so by using our Snapshot plugin and specifically the Managed Backups, which are using our cloud storage. You should then be able to migrate it into another locations/folder in the same server, using a separate database.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/introducing-managed-wordpress-cloud-backups-for-free/

If this is too much for you, you can either contact your hosting provider about it, or hire a developer to build this for you. https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Dimitris

Hello Len,

unfortunately a testing subsite can't be too helpful, as there're many other plugins that's activated in the whole network, so in order to perform a full conflict test, we should also deactivate them.
    If you have a complete backup in place, so you could restore it in case any settings got lost durgin the conflict test, and you don't mind performing the test in the live installation, then let me know here in your next reply and I could go ahead and carry on with it.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Len

Hi Dimitris ,

I'd rather not test on my live site if possible, but creating a staging environment is presently beyond my abilities. Therefore, you may proceed to test on my live site (preferably on the demo child-site). I do have a complete backup in place via VaultPress, but please do restore any settings, themes, or plugins you alter to their original state after testing, in case a site restore happens to leave your changes in place.

Thanks,
    Len

• Dimitris

Hey Len,

hope you're doing good today!

Ok, so in order to be 100% clear on this:
    - I can deactivate all plugins from network and the testing subsite, apart from WPMUDEV Dashboard and e-Newsletter of course.
    - activate a default theme in testing subsite
    - try to send some preview newsletters
    - if issue is resolved, I will start activating plugins and themes, one by one, until I reproduce initial issue

I'm not going to change any kind of settings, it's the process of turning on and off the plugins and themes that may make them lose settings (that depends on each plugin/theme).
    So when I finish with my tests, I'll activate everything back anyway and I'll let you know about my results. You could then inspect your setup again and if you notice any missing settings, you can restore a previous working condition from VaultPress.

Let me know, if you're fine with this and I can carry on. :slight_smile:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Dimitris

Hello there Len,

it seems that the credentials of cPanel that you've shared during initial chat session, aren't working anymore and I'd need some server access before start testing. Could you please send over the updated password? Please do it through our safe contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question using this template:

- cPanel credentials (login url/username/password)

Keep in mind the subject line as ensures that it gets assigned to me.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris