SEO advice and question for an old domain

Hello all!

I might be better off in an SEO forum or something, but I need some advice fairly quickly and I love how WPMU is quick to respond so I'm crossing my fingers that someone may have some good insight!

I have a client who has an old domain, but a REALLY crappy site under it. It used to do fairly well (according to him), but after I did an audit, checked Open Site Explorer and Majestic, the site scores very low and has very little value -- which is surprising considering how long he's had the domain.

What we're trying to figure out is what to do here. I have come up with 2 solutions and not sure which is best:

1. I built a new site for the guy, but it's under a different domain that he wants to use so I was going to do 301 redirects for the old site to the new site.

2. Or should I build a small site for this old domain and not do 301 redirects to the new site? Is it worth it to spend more money to keep a site under the old domain? Obviously, there are more costs involved here, but he is willing to spend if this is the best course of action.

Looking forward to hear what people think! I appreciate your time.

Sinoun

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Sinoun,

I hope you're well today and thanks for your question!

I think I can keep it quite short: build a new site :slight_smile:

Actually, the "domain age" doesn't count anymore. At least not that much that it used to. The most important SEO factors would be to build a site that:

1) meets as much current tech standards (like HTML, CSS etc specifications) as possible
    2) loads pretty fast
    3) follow search engine rules in terms of source code/content construction (no "keyword stuffing" and "over optimization")
    4) provides visitors with a lot of unique and valuable content.
    5) is SSL protected (https://) if possible

Proper sitemaps and 301 redirection should do the rest. I hope this helps. From my own experience can say that I've been through similar scenarios and personally I'd do exactly this :slight_smile:

Please note though, that SEO isn't something you can achieve a "rock solid, precisely planned and super-fast" results and every change you apply to the site (regardless whether it would be a development of the old site or a brand new service) can take a significant amount of time to take effect.

Cheers,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.