SEO Checkup in subsite scanning the main site

I have a subdomain multisite installation with mapped domains. I have SmartCrawl network enabled. When I run a SmartCrawl Checkup in a domain mapped subsite, it scans the main site for SEO issues and not the subsite where the checkup is ran from. FYI, the "Sitewide Mode (Network Level Changes Only)" option is disabled in the SmartCrawl network settings.

• Katya Tsihotska

Hi Jasper

Hope you're having a wonderful day!

I was able to replicate the same behavior on my test install. I'm marking it as a bug and sending the report to our developers so they will fix this in one of the next releases.

If the hotfix will be out before the official update, we will post it here.

Please keep in mind, our developers work round the clock and they have to deal with lots of critical issues and other things. So it may take a little while for them to check this and release a fix. I appreciate your patience!

Kind regards,
    Katya

• Katya Tsihotska

Hi Jasper

I've got in touch with our developers and they informed me that it's not a bug, it's the intended behavior because the scan will always use the URL that is registered with the Hub (which, in the network installs cases, is the URL of the main site on the network).

So at the moment, it's not possible to run the SEO Checkup for the subsite even if the SEO Checkup module is enabled for the subsites.

I would like to apologize for the wrong information in my previous post.

Kind regards,
    Katya

• Jasper

Hi Katya,

Wow, that's weird. You claim you"can use WPMUDEV to manage, update, monitor, scan, backup and improve all your WordPress sites, in one place. But with SEO Checkup this is only true for the main site? And why would I be able to enable the SEO Checkup module for my subsiters if it is a feature you don't even support. There's probably some people that don't even know it is not that exact site that is being checked.

I'm paying 50 dollars per month to make sure the plugins work with Multisite. That's very disappointing, and something you should clearly mention on your website. SEO is pretty important!

Another issue I have is with Hustle; in the statistics it shows the data for all slide-ins across all sites. I only want the data per site (and perhaps on the Network Admin level combined). Is this possible, or also just the intended behavior?

Best, Jasper

• Katya Tsihotska

Hi Jasper

Hope you're fine today!

I've further discussed that SmartCrawl behavior with our developers and they considered making the plugin's UI more clear. At the moment that's how the service works, but to avoid any confusion with this they will make it not possible to enable this option for subsite admins. I've sent your feedback to our developers and mark it as an improvement suggestion so this will be addressed in one of the next releases.

Another issue I have is with Hustle; in the statistics it shows the data for all slide-ins across all sites. I only want the data per site (and perhaps on the Network Admin level combined). Is this possible, or also just the intended behavior?

I was able to replicate the same on my test installation. I will need to contact the Hustle Pro developer as well to get their valuable feedback on this. As soon as I will get more information I will let you know.

And with regards to the title of this post: it is not scanning the whole network, it is only scanning the main site. The problem is it is NOT scanning my other sites. Small difference, but a completely different problem. Perhaps worth changing?

Sure, I've changed the title.

Kind regards,
    Katya

• Katya Tsihotska

Hi Jasper

I trust you had a great day!

I've consulted with our developers with regards to the Hustle Pro statistics on multisite installations and they confirmed that it seems to be a bug. So the issue has been already reported to them and they will take care of it and fix this in on of the next plugin releases.

If the hotfix will be out before the official update, we will post it here.

Please keep in mind that our developers deal with more complicated issues, thus it may take some time for them to provide a fix.

Kind regards,
    Katya

• Nikishna

I totally agree with Jasper. I subscribe to WPMU Dev for the multisite plugin support and updates. If SmartCrawl does not work in multisite mode, then WHY would it allow you to enable subsite Administration and allow for different settings for each subsite. That process just wasted 2 days of my time thinking I was crazy for it not working. Also shouldn't the plugin activate like a normal plugin, instead of network activate only?

• Nikishna

So if the WPMU Dev solution will be to "make the plugin's UI more clear" and removing the option to enable subsite admins, the question that I have is Why was there an option to enable subsite Admins in the first place..?

I've further discussed that SmartCrawl behavior with our developers and they considered making the plugin's UI more clear. At the moment that's how the service works, but to avoid any confusion with this they will make it not possible to enable this option for subsite admins. I've sent your feedback to our developers and mark it as an improvement suggestion so this will be addressed in one of the next releases.

• Katya Tsihotska

Hi Nikishna

Hope you're having a great day!

If SmartCrawl does not work in multisite mode, then WHY would it allow you to enable subsite Administration and allow for different settings for each subsite. That process just wasted 2 days of my time thinking I was crazy for it not working. Also shouldn't the plugin activate like a normal plugin, instead of network activate only?

Actually, the plugin works in multisite mode, you still can enable "Title & Meta" and "Settings" modules on the per-subsite basis and have different settings in those modules on each subsite.

The SmartCrawl Pro plugin on multisite installation can be only network-wide activated, it's not possible to activate it on each subsite separately.

So if the WPMU Dev solution will be to "make the plugin's UI more clear" and removing the option to enable subsite admins, the question that I have is Why was there an option to enable subsite Admins in the first place..?

This issue isn't fixed yet, this will be fixed in one of the next releases, we will remove the possibility to enable this option for subsite admins anymore until the logic of the SEO Checkup will not be changed.

Kind regards,
    Katya

• Nikishna

Katya,

Thank you very much for your response. I have been a loyal WPMU Dev customer for years now and I love your ecosystem approach to plugins. I am fine with all that you responded, yet I wanted a little bit more clarification on the last part:

This issue isn't fixed yet, this will be fixed in one of the next releases, we will remove the possibility to enable this option for subsite admins anymore until the logic of the SEO Checkup will not be changed.

So if in the next release, the option for subsite admins will be removed, does that mean that the "Title & Meta" and "Settings" SEO options will also no longer be available? Or will the next release keep all that is there now, just remove the SEO Checkup component of the subsite Smart Crawl plugin? Thanks!

• Katya Tsihotska

Hi Nikishna

Thank you for your loyalty and understanding, we really appreciate this.

So if in the next release, the option for subsite admins will be removed, does that mean that the "Title & Meta" and "Settings" SEO options will also no longer be available? Or will the next release keep all that is there now, just remove the SEO Checkup component of the subsite Smart Crawl plugin? Thanks!

This only related to the SmartCrawl SEO Checkup on subsites, all other options like "Title&Meta", "Settings" will remain as it is now, so don't worry about that :slight_smile:

If you have any additional questions please let us know, we always are happy to help.

Kind regards,
    Katya

• David

I have to agree with everyone else here. Having a plugin like SmartCrawl as a replacement for Yoast SEO is a great addition to the service that we are paying for. The sentiment above that the ability to scan our sites individually on multisite installations is an important part of this plugin. Without it, the plugin, in my opinion is fairly useless. We need the ability to check the sites we manage and ensure that everything is setup/running most effectively. Title & Meta Settings along with generating a Sitemap XML only is very novice and is beneath the capacity of the amazing developers we have at WPMUDEV.

From a marketing standpoint, the pricepoint difference between WPMUDEV is significant as well. Yoast SEO Premium is currently $89 one time. We pay $50/month to provide recurring revenue to be able to have these types of things. It is disappointing as a customer when I see customers asking for something and WPMUDEV saying there is no intention of providing it.

• James Morris

Hello David & Kyle Homstead

I've just spoken with the Lead Dev of the SmartCrawl project. We will be adding support for performing SEO Checkups on subsites in the future. However, this is going to require a major rewrite of the plugin. While this is definitely on the horizon, we cannot give a specific time frame of when, due to the complexity of the matter. But, please be assured our team has heard you and this will be added in the future! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.