SEO for Multisite.

I am running Wordpress multisite, and I am using the subfolders (not subdomain) option, to create multiple websites. Anyway, I created a website (with it's own domain, say "smalldomain.com") and put a lot of good content on the site. However, I've decided I'd like to ditch "smalldomain.com" and let the content be a part of my master multisite domain ("bigdomain.com"). Under domain mapping, it seems like I have an option to do this: to select "smalldomain.com" or "bigdomain.com/small-domains-content." If I choose "bigdomain" as the new primary, will the search engines index the content/pages as part of "bigdomain.com", and will the pages/content start to show up in google analytics under "bigdomain.com." It is confusing because the url will say bigdomain.com, but those pages will still have their own separate dashboard in multisite. Thanks for any help!

• Gabe

If I choose "bigdomain" as the new primary, will the search engines index the content/pages as part of "bigdomain.com", and will the pages/content start to show up in google analytics under "bigdomain.com."

Yes. Over time as search engines re-index your content, that content will begin to appear in search engines as part of the new domain. It's critical that you use 301 redirects to point the old content to the new and ensure the content isn't available in two places at the same time (if it must, use a canonical URL). You can do some research on moving content to a new domain, but it really isn't ideal however you do it. Using 301 redirects will lessen the impact to your traffic/rankings though.

You'll have to manually update your Google Analytics settings to properly track the new domain, but it's a trivial change. If you're already tracking the primary domain that you're moving the content to, just make sure the code on the main site (domain.com) matches the code on the subsite (domain.com/subsite) assuming you still use a subfolder structure so they appear under the same domain. Hope this helps.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

Under domain mapping, it seems like I have an option to do this: to select "smalldomain.com" or "bigdomain.com/small-domains-content." If I choose "bigdomain" as the new primary, will the search engines index the content/pages as part of "bigdomain.com", and will the pages/content start to show up in google analytics under "bigdomain.com." It is confusing because the url will say bigdomain.com, but those pages will still have their own separate dashboard in multisite.

Are you talking about the option to allow:

Original Domain
    User Domain
    Mapped domain

?

If so then that only refers to the admin area of your site. The frontend will continue to be indexed and run from the mapped domain name.

Is this what you mean?

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.