SEO for pages - excerpt control

Hi, Which WPMUDEV or other plugin should I use to customize the SEO excerpt for PAGES in a WP site? I use visual composer and the short codes come up and I'd like to put in the actual text content of the site.

I've done this before but can not remember.

Please don't tell me not to use Visual Composer. I am using visual composer. Thank you

• Majid
    • Recruit

Hello Chris Three
    I hope you are doing great :slight_smile:

You can edit the SEO description (SEO excerpt) in each page using SmartCrawl edit meta option found right under/above the page editor.
    By default the desscription shows Visual Composer shortcodes, You have to click edit as in the screenshot

And after editing and saving I get this, which is the results wanted.

I hope this helps :slight_smile:
    Best Regards,
    Majid

• OMNISAPIEN
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks.
    The fields to input are not rendering.

Moreover there is sometinng VERY confusing about the setup of SmartCrawl.

In the setup page there is:
    Google Verification
    Paste the full meta tag from Google.

What??!! Meta tag from google. What meta tag from google? Metatags are generic HTML 101 from 1996 or earlier and google is a maze that is neigh impossible to navigate .

What does this mean and where do I get the "metatags from Google"?

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello there Chris Three,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

The fields to input are not rendering.

I've accessed your site and noticed that no box in the edit page screen can be toggled (extend/shrink) and there're some error messages in console log.

[See attached image]

Most probably this is happening due to some conflict between the plugins that's active, so better proceed with a conflict test. You should first ensure that you have a website backup, in case any settings get lost during this procedure, or use a staging environment (a complete and exact copy of this website into another location/folder in the same server, using a separate database).
    Then you should deactivate all plugins apart from WPMUDEV Dashboard and SmartCrawl, activate a default theme like TwentySeventeen and check that SmartCrawl meta boxes are working good in the edit page screens (edit Title and Description of a page and check if this is working good in frontend). If all is workings good, then there's a conflict somewhere between the rest of the plugins and theme, so start activating them back one-by-one until you regenerate the issue (check each time after each re-activation the SmartCrawl meta boxes in edit page screen), thus finding the conflict. I'd rather start with OptionTree plugin, as it's the only one that reports an error in console log (the rest are coming from WP core files, so can't tell for sure which plugin/theme triggers them).
    This flow chart image can help you better organize a conflict test:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Support-Process-Support-Process.gif

What does this mean and where do I get the "metatags from Google"?

In order to use Google's Webmaster Tools https://www.google.com/webmasters/
    you should verify the ownership of this site as shown here:
    https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/35179?hl=en
    In above link, you can see that there're multiple ways to do that, one of them is by a "HTML tag" which is a meta tag which a dynamically generated keyword, that Google will try to see when it will crawl this domain (the one you want to add/verify). This will look like:
    <meta name="google-site-verification" content="String_we_ask_for">
    where String_we_ask_for will be replaced with a long code when you ask for verification. Simple copy/paste the whole meta tag inside the according SmartCrawl field, save settings and you Google should be able to verify your domain.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.