SEO: Multisite VS different single site

I would love to activate Wordpress Multisite to manage all users and posts from one platform.

But I am concerned about SEO.

The different websites I would like to connect together will cover various subjects. So they should be ranked SEO in very different categories.

Let's say mywebsite.com should be optimised for topic 1
and mywebsite.net for topic 2

OK if someone is looking for topic 2 he will find mywebsite.net

but

What if someone write in Google "mywebsite"???
Will that propose the 2 different websites? Or isn't it possible because they are both on same database?

I agree I can turn on the plugin showing the final url I want but in reality the website will be on the same url.

Thanks in advance for your help

• Tyler Postle

Hey Francois,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question!

If you are concerned about SEO in your multisite then it is best to use a subdomain install. Google sees each subdomain as a separate site. Also, since it sounds like you will be using domain mapping as well then each website will have it's own top level domain.

What if someone write in Google "mywebsite"???
    Will that propose the 2 different websites? Or isn't it possible because they are both on same database?

If both the websites use the same domain name, 1 at .net and the other at .com then it is likely googling that domain name would bring up both, but this won't affect your rankings for each individual topic.

Even though they are linked together in a multisite install, Google will still see them as 2 separate sites. For example, WordPress.com is just one giant multisite install - people have no problem getting sites ranked there for their individual topics. Assuming they have awesome content anyway.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you still have further questions here :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Francois, no problem! Not quite as fast this time :p

Using multisite, is it possible to create 1 post and publish it on different websites?

You can use our Multisite Content Copier plugin to sync posts, pages, users, and even plugins across your whole network :slight_smile:

It's a super handy plugin for a multisite. and yes you can bring the categories with them as well.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any further questions here. Happy to help.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.