Separate User Bases?

I have a wordpress multi-site install and then installed http://buddydev.com/plugins/buddypress-multi-network/ so that I could have multiple buddypress networks.

The problem is that I don’t want a user to be able to join any network they want.

For example, I have 1.[domain].com and 2.[domain].com. Each one has its own buddypress network. The problem is, even if I have the private buddypress plugin installed, if someone has an account on 1.[domain].com, then they can just login on 2.[domain].com because each is a site on the multi-site network and the user is a member of that network.

I want to make it so that the user on 1.[domain].com would need to request access to 2.[domain].com in order to use it.

So, basically what I want is for a someone to be able to set up say a private company community at 1.[domain].com and another company to set up a private company community at 2.[domain].com. I would like it so that an employee from company 1 can ONLY access 1.[domain].com and an employee from company 2 can ONLY access 2.[domain].com.

Anybody can access [domain].com though, that would not be a problem.

I'm not sure if this is of any help: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/separate-user-bases.

• Paul Barthmaier

Hi there and thanks for the interesting question. I'd like to start by saying I haven't tried what you've outlined, but I wonder why you might want to do this. My instinct says that if you have separate companies, you probably want separate databases, and certainly this is the case if it's possible that the differing companies are competitors. If it's simply the case that you have shared ownership, but different management, then perhaps it would be ok.

I realize that doesn't help with your initial question, but perhaps it's some food for thought. As far as controlling the access that a user would have, I might look at the Membership plugin, but I'm not clear about its extensibility across multiple buddypress networks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.