Separation of Global / Local Editing in Upfront

As is, right now, when you go to edit any page, you’re in control of both local containers, and any global containers found on that page. This prevents other developers to work on the site with you in tandem, as any pushed changes can easily be overwritten.

I’m not sure how this would work logistically, but if either the global regions could be “locked” unless on a specific page, or if there was a separate editor, possibly similar to Appearances > Widgets, it would be a great help.

One of the issues my team and I have been going through, in addition to the “overwriting”, is sometimes the templated data (wp_options table stuff) gets corrupted in the process, and desyncs the whole thing from the Upfront editor. You try to go edit a page, and the upfront editor is completely blank, no options, etc.

We’ve gotten around these with extremely frequent backup points, rollbacks, and scheduling who’s on the site at any given time (in the Upfront editor).

I know this is a tall order, but a solution to this is crucial for any larger teams who wish to use this theme.

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello @@jeremy, I hope you are doing well today!

Thank you for this suggestion! If this feature will get more +1’s, more likely it would be considered for development.

Just to make sure, because I do not clearly understand it, you wish to lock global regions from editing? Plus the user may choose which region is blocked and which is not. Right?

Please advise,

Cheers,

Nastia

• Brad E.
    • Mr. T

Essentially making it so that several people can be working on multiple different pages in the Upfront editor at the same time, w/out stepping on each other’s toes. Right now, due to the “global regions” showing up on all pages, it always alerts that someone else is working on a page, even if they’re working on something different. Also, if one person changes something in a global region, like the header, and saves… when another person who already has Upfront up on another page/post saves, the first person’s changes are lost. This leads to possible desyncs in the database as well.

As far as “locking,” I was suggesting maybe only being able to edit global regions on whatever page is set as Home, or something similar… that way on other pages those regions wouldn’t register as editable, and cause issues.

Make more sense?

• Adam
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

While I am must a team of 1, I have to +1 this. Its going to be a bigger issue, I think, when I turn over maintenance of the site to my client. He has several people that are going to be editing and I’m not looking forward to fixing things when some change suddenly goes “everywhere”

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.