Serial, 360 solo gateway renews at end of subscription WITHOUT payment rather than drop to visitor

As stated.

I've let things progress for a while and now I'm very frustrated.

In order to get a renew button 60 days ahead, and on the advice of the support team I have my membership set up as a Serial, 360 with solo gateway and 60 days prior renew.

NOW EVERYONE that comes to the end of their SERIAL subscription without renewing is listed as the following "____has moved from level Professional on subscription Professional to level Professional on subscription Professional" WITHOUT PAYMENT.

I tried to put a "visitors" level after the "professional" and it gives me an error message that says it can't do that.

This has been a mess from day one when expiration dates were not able to be manually set. Support solves one problem to have another crop up. Limits of the program are POORLY explained.

I need this fixed ASAP with a clear solution. Waiting for Membership 4.0 to come out is not a solution.

Please Advise.

• Michelle Shull

Hey there, Kipp, thanks for contacting us, and thanks for your patience.

I'm new to your situation, so I'm trying to catch up with your past threads, let me make sure I understand the issue you're having.

1. You've got the Professional level set to auto-renew (by using Serial) every year, with an option to renew appearing 60 days before the expiration date, correct?

2. However, when members' subscriptions run out, they're not being charged for another year, but they still have full paid access, correct? Even if they cancel the subscription?

3. You're using PayPal single payment as your gateway. (I checked this in your dashboard, so this one isn't a question.)

Let me know if I'm missing something critical about this ongoing issue, feel free to link me to threads where you may have explained this in more detail.

Thanks!

• Kipp

Yes that is correct. AND when their subscription runs out I get the "____has moved from level Professional on subscription Professional to level Professional on subscription Professional" info - their subscription has been renewed for another 365 WITHOUT payment.

If they cancel - then it cancels them. If they simply let it run out - it renews them for another year without charging them. WHICH keeps them from paying when they realize it's been expired - our members keep track of these things - because the new date is now a year away....

If they renew within the 60 days, I believe, it works as expected extending their due date.

• Michelle Shull

Hello, thanks so much for this info!

I noticed in another thread that you've had to add some members manually, as they'd already paid and you wanted to manually set the expiration date on their subscriptions.

Is this behavior limited to members that meet those criteria? Have you created a new (testing) account to see if this behavior is universal?

I spoke with my colleague @Michael Bissett, and this is how he explained it to me:

If it's the Admin gateway [the user's payment gateway setting], then that would be an issue. But even if it's set to the PayPal gateway he has enabled, the users would actually need to go through the subscription process themselves, as adding them like he did doesn't create a subscription inside of PayPal.
    In other words, their subscription would have to be cancelled, they'd have to re-subscribe (he could offer a coupon as an incentive for doing so), and then they go through the process of checking out inside of PayPal.
    That would get them fully registered

If you set up those accounts manually, they may be using your the admin level gateway instead of a member gateway, so they're not fully subscribed.

He also linked me to this response: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/response-to-vaughans-answer-about-getting-renewal-button-to-show#post-729533

Hope this helps!

• Kipp

OK - that was my worst case scenario. This is a massive limitation of the program that is not well documented. It is also frustrating that if this is the case - then support should not be recommending changing the MyAdminPHP expiration dates if even with a paypal gateway it will not work.

It would have been better if we had simply started all our members "fresh" and taken a year to get them in the system. Now I have a year of checking daily for expired people and dropping subscriptions manually.

Thank you for your help.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Kipp,

If you still have the script handy for those members that you imported, then wouldn't it be possible to reference the list of members noted there, and email them a coupon for a free registration, seeing as they've already paid?

That way you wouldn't have to go sifting through memberships (which if you have a ton of members, would definitely be a pain). It would require a bit of extra work on their part (since they'd have to re-subscribe), but that would mean there'd be a lot less work for you to do.

Please advise,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.