Serial Auto Renew Problem with PayPal Single Payments

Our member accounts automatically renew without paying. This is a huge issue because they are not going to go back in and pay if they think they have renewed.

We have all members going through the PayPal Single Payments option, but once they hit their expiration the system just renews them for a year. It still displays the PayPal button to pay, but they still have full access.

We need these accounts to expire, but honor the grace period, and if they hit the end of the grace not auto renew and their access is revoked. They can still login and renew manually if this is the case.

Is this possible with this plugin?

• Tyson

I have set it to finite and now the renew button doesn't show at all. I have the renewal period set for 365 days. This was our original issue.

Basically we need this...

1. Accounts don't auto renew in any scenario
    2. Renew buttons appears during renew period
    3. Account stays active during the grace period after expiration (we have that set to 90 days)
    4. After grace account closes, no longer grants access
    5. Member can renew at any time during renew period

We thought these features were available. The settings suggest this should be the case, but we keep going in circles on going between serial and finite, and both cause a different problem,

Thanks,

Ty

• Michelle Shull

Hello, Ty!

I went digging through the forums to make sure I wasn't leading you astray by telling you to use Finite. I am not, this is the right path!

Per Jack:

Serial subscriptions are always recurring subscriptions automatically, with Finite though with single payments you are correct, it won't allow a renewal until the current subscription has expired.

This should work from my tests, set it to finite, 1 year, then go into membership > options > extras and set renewal limit at 30 days, this should then allow them to upgrade 30 days before they expire.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/please-clarify-how-to-configure-membership-renewals-not-auto-renewals#post-523574

I totally see where the confusion happened, this is confusing for lots of folks, and I think we could do more with both the documentation and the UI to make Membership more user friendly.

I'm going to go ahead and flag the developer on this, since it is such a critical issue for you, and we're starting to go in circles with support.

We greatly appreciate your patience.

• Hoang Ngo

Hi @Tyson,

I hope you are well today and I'm sorry for the issue.

I will need more information to check & have some fix if needed. Can you please send in:

- Mark to my attention - ATTN: Hoang Ngo
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include admin/network access
    - Include cPanel (I will need to look at the DB so need PHPMyAdmin or similar)
    - Include FTP
    - Include any relevant URLS for your site

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

Thanks!!.

Best regards,
    Hoang Ngo