Serve images from an external server like s3

Hi I wonder if you can help me I have looked and cannot find a setting in market press which will allow me to serve my images directly from Amazon s3. Is this possible? I do not want to store them on my hosted site! Thanks in advance Russell

• Will Ashworth
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Russell -

You mentioned you don't want to "store" them on your site, but what if you could store them on the site, but "serve" them from the CDN? Would that work?

If storage space is the issue locally, then my mind may need to wander in a different direction, but I'm aware of a few solutions depending on what you answer.

• Russell Campbell
    • Flash Drive

Hi Will

Space is the issue as the images themselves would be too large to host on my site which would mean that I would either have to pay my host for more storage or find another host, and since the hosting was paid up for the year this would involve me in additional unnecessary expense.

Any thoughts?

Regards Russell

• Will Ashworth

Thanks for the additional info. Curious, who's the host? BlueHost, HostGator and GoDaddy over unlimited storage (with some limits) if that's where you want to take this.

If you were willing to "host" the images yourself, I was going to suggest something like W3 Total Cache to offload images and other assets to a CDN like Rackspace Cloud or Amazon S3, but it sounds like that may not work well for you.

I'll keep thinking about it and post back with any ideas.

• Will Ashworth

Some other ideas to consider:

http://en.loadtr.com/
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/pressbox/

The Third Alternative – Hotlinking

If you prefer neither Loadtr nor Dropbox, then you can choose the more traditional (and manual) approach – store your images in one of the available image hosting services – such as Photobucket and Flickr – and hotlink the images in your blog posts.

To do that, you have to make sure that the image hosting services that you use allow hotlinking. Then acquire the image link, and insert the link via the “From URL” tab in the “Add an Image” window.

Are you against initially load them manually somewhere else and then "embedding" them into your posts? It may be more work, but is technically what you want...and you can do it with any of the CDN solutions out there right now.

In fact, Cyberduck supports most of them, just like a regular FTP client. The downside to this option is that you'll not be able to crop and manipulate your images as if they were hosted "on" your website in WordPress.

• Will Ashworth

I wonder if we couldn't make a plugin to do just this, actually. Not volunteering, just saying. My plate's full right now with plugins I'm supporting (heavily into ACF right now).

The idea is this...

- if attempting to call an image resource, check the url
    - if local...
      - try to move it external
      - verify it exists externally with some hash checking
      - if all good, remove the local one
      - serve the remote one
    - if not local, serve the remote one
  • hpidriver
    • The Crimson Coder

Space is the issue as the images themselves would be too large to host on my site which would mean that I would either have to pay my host for more storage or find another host,

Seriously, who are you paying for hosting? This sounds like you are getting a terrible deal if you can't even have enough space to host your own images.

• Will Ashworth

I would agree. Consider someone like HostGator. No affiliate links here...I just like them for the shared hosting they offer. I'm dedicated now, but still appreciated what I had with them.

- Unlimited space
    - Unlimited bandwidth

By the time they kick you off for using "too much resources", you'll probably be making money through the site in some way and can afford a dedicated or semi-dedicated server.

• Russell Campbell
    • Flash Drive

Hi all,

@will I like your idea, but I think there should just be a radio button in the Marketpress store settings which gives you the choice to
    1 download images from urls
    2 Serve images from urls

The supplier in question is quite happy to serve the images direct to the visitor’s browser

What do you think?

Regards Russell

• Mike
    • New Recruit

Hi @Russell Campbell

We're just doing a little housekeeping to see if we have dropped the ball anywhere. We haven't replied here for over 6 months which is obviously not good enough.

Do you still have this issue? If so can you tell me what exactly the issue is, let me know of any error messages. And let me know any fixes you have tried which have failed.

Then I will see if I can help you out.

Cheers,
    Mike

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.