Server Crash during Cloning... now can't create site

This one might need some super hero(s) wearing tights...

While cloning a site, my server crashed hard - unrelated to the cloning they had a major problem at host (soon to be my ex-host)

so, later I see that the site didn't make it to the Site list... but when I try to clone again using the name I want, it says "the blog already exists" - but it doesn't. can't find in simple admin site search, and can't find it manually looking in wp_blogs table

I 'repaired' tables in phpmyadmin but didn't help

BIG problem is that the DB is corrupted somehow now and I can't search the database for anything using phpmyadmin...other databases are okay so most likely caused by the cloner process being interrupted

of course my last standalone DB backup was 2 days ago and since then I've been furiously updating multiple sites so really can't just restore the DB (I am already in tears)

so.. questions are about tables and hints about restoring things

1) any tip on what to do to find/delete the phantom Blog that was being created, doesn't exist but Cloner thinks is there?

2) any guess on what caused SQL search to stop working on the DB... ?

I'm not sure of the options or even how to try and recover the work lost if I have to restore the DB... I've got Autoblogs I'd like to save, and a ton of categories and posts ...

Grasping for ideas on how to do this... I wonder if exporting Wordpress XML, restoring the old DB and importing the XML would even work...

Because it was 'cloning' I bet a variety of tables are messed up but have no idea how to deal with that...

sorry for ramble, just not sure how to proceed because it happened at worst possible time after intense work over 2 days

• Anang

Hi @tripvendor

Thanks for contacting us :slight_smile:

1) any tip on what to do to find/delete the phantom Blog that was being created, doesn't exist but Cloner thinks is there?

Since it's "phantom" blog, so that's no problem just to override it right ? Could you try with replace option in Cloner ?

2) any guess on what caused SQL search to stop working on the DB... ?

It could be you search non existing data or MySql corrupt and lost it's index. Have you tried searching with wildcard ?

Let me know if you need anything else :slight_smile:

Best Regards

• tripvendor

I like the idea of simply replacing the phantom... but alas

if I try to create new, I get "the blog already exists", if I try to replace existing site, I get "The site you are trying to replace does not exist" --- it never created a blog ID so not sure what table or field Cloner is looking at thinking the blog is there

the DB search, after clicking Go in phpmyadmin it sort of thinks about it, then does nothing, it isn't coming back with results

of course my host is saying, there wasn't a crash it was packet loss, nothing would have corrupted the DB... so I'm looking at an incredible coincidence that something I've done 150 times without issue picks that one moment during a 'network issue' to implode my primary project

yes, I do need some help... but not sure what... I'm sure Cloner touches many tables while cloning

how do you restore a MySQL index? I tried searching % and same no action/no result

• Anang

Hi @tripvendor

Regarding searching in MySql databases, before I ask you sent me your phpmyadmin access, could you check that you already select tables in the dropdown ? See screenshot :slight_smile:

Also I figured out that maybe the new table already created when process get interrupted, you can check wp_*_options to check if that's your phantom blog. If you found it, delete all wp_* tables. With * is a number that define blog id (please do backup first) .

Let me know the result :slight_smile:

Best Regards

• tripvendor

Hi -

yes, did select tables to search (good advice but already covered)
    no new blog ID was generated, for wp_x_options or any other table
    my VPS did an auto backup right about the time this all happened, not sure if it was before or after the snafu - we're going to do a DB restore, fingers crossed

if restore fails will look at plan B and either keep poking around or look to do older backup and try to put tables from updated sites back in... what a mess... will be doing hourly backups in the future

• tripvendor

this problem has escalated off the charts...

restored DB to old version from yesterday... still can't clone a particular name, but can clone a test site...

go into database, still can't search....

and then... I restore back to database taken this morning

sites behave normally, still have cloning and DB search problem... but even worse

in phpmyadmin... clicking database, it says 'No tables found in database' --- but they are there, you can see them from Search screen, even if search doesn't work

something torpedoed the DB... now looking at creating new DB and then importing the subsites into it... not at all sure how well anything is going to work out

I don't have any questions at this point... I'm looking for a regular job now behind a pick and shovel

• tripvendor

After much pain and labor and an incredible array of coincidence I have determined what this issue is about.

It is a Cloner problem having to do with sites that already use part of the name that is being created. This might be associate with Domain Mapping too.

in my case, for example, we're trying to create a new site alabama.multisite.com -- if I try to clone a site with that name, I either get 'the blog already exists' or 'the blog doesn't exist' ... because...

there are already sites called birminghamalabama.multisite.com and domain mapped birmingham-alabama.com so Cloner is apparently seeing the partial domain name xxxalabama.multisite.com and thinking alabama.multisite.com exists, but can't find it if looking for it specifically.

I can create alabama.multisite.com and use blog templates, but can't clone to it.

this might be an issue for people creating variations of keyword phrases, so might be worth sorting out

this affect covers several variations of this issue - ie different state names.

I'm not really in a position to help troubleshoot this -- already lost 2 days + trying to unravel the cause of the issue -- which by coincidence appeared at time of server service interruption and hiccups with the database...

Regards,

• Anang

Hi @tripvendor

I have tested on my installation and I can't get the same issue. I have site called testing.site.com and clone for new site called ing.site.com and it's created successfully.

Maybe there's some record in your database that still have alabama.site.com saved. Do you any chance get the error when clone alabama.site.com.

And how it's your database now ? You can search through PhpMyadmin already ?

Let me know the progress :slight_smile:

Best Regards

• Anang

Hi @tripvendor

I have tested on my installation and I can't get the same issue. I have site called testing.site.com and clone for new site called ing.site.com and it's created successfully.

Maybe there's some record in your database that still have alabama.site.com saved. Do you any chance get the error when clone alabama.site.com.

And how it's your database now ? You can search through PhpMyadmin already ?

Let me know the progress :slight_smile:

Best Regards

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.