Server IP Address Question

I am using the WPMUdev mapping plugin.

On the domain mapping configuration section where it asks for the Server IP Address, it displays the IP of my server. However the installation for this particular multisite is two directories deep.

My question is when my clients map their domains to the servers ip will it resolve to the proper domain (or does it just go to the server ip's root? Is there any way to map it to non-root directories?)

What are your thoughts?

• marikamitsos

Hello karmikovic

My question is when my clients map their domains to the servers ip will it resolve to the proper domain (or does it just go to the server ip's root?

Try this. Type on the address bar on your browser the two different ips (respectively). See which one lands you on your site. For example type: 66.135.49.227 and this will take you to edublogs
    This is what you should try as well. The ip that will take you to your site is the one you must put in the configuration for Domain Mapping

Is there any way to map it to non-root directories?

Sure there is. If you are asking for trouble.you can always hack something,
    I would strongly recommend though on having the wordpress installed in the root directory.

I hope I cleared things up for you.
    Please let us know if you need further assistance. We are here to help. :slight_smile:
    marikamitsos

PS: Should you find the above satisfactory please mark the post as resolved

• Timothy Bowers

marikamitsos is going for gold! :slight_smile:

My question is when my clients map their domains to the servers ip will it resolve to the proper domain (or does it just go to the server ip's root? Is there any way to map it to non-root directories?)

The IP as mentioned will just fall upon the root of your domain, so no it won't work.

You see when they map in their domain through A Record, they point it to your IP and that needs to fall upon your WordPress install. If it doesn't, it won't work.

You could still use addon/parked domains though. But your customers might like that as then it means you control all their DNS and not them.

Is there a reason you install your WP multisite within a sub directory?

Take care.

• karmikovic

I own hundred of domains in a few particular niches, managing these domains is very much a task, this is the very reason I am switching over to WPMU and perhaps extend it into networks of networks. If I had dedicated hosting per Multi-Site domain, it would be very expensive, so I have a few multisites per hosting account. This is why I have some WPMU installations in subdirectories...

If I decided to point these sites to root, I could give the domains access to the root domains' ssl ability and it would take care of my IP issue on the mapping of domains to the server IP...

So why haven't I opted to point the sites to root multisite and virtually create these sites (which currently lie in subdirectory installations)?

That is actually what I am trying to do...

So I thought I would create a network of networks on the root domain installation. But now I am in a hard place, because the plugins which enable this (multi-network, networks + and networks for wordpress) seem to conflict with other plugins, so testing each of these has been a terribly arduous task....

This brings me to the problem...As far as functionality, the multiple network plugins seem to only enable additional management features for the administrators of multiple domains, such as the ability to assign child sites to parent networks. Other than the administration management structure, I can see no reason to use these network plugins due to this fact:

A normal WPMU enabled installation can already enable users who have domains to add more domains...

IT seems the network plugins' enable:
    1. The ability to access theirdomain.com/wp-admin/network/
    2. An admin panel which is tailored for organizing networks
    3. The ability to segregate multiple BP instances per network (through additional plugins)

These 3 things seem to be the only additional functions enabled by the networking plugins on multisite. I don't have to have these network enable features and although I like them for the ease of grouping and managing a large number of sites the compatbility drawbacks have me second guessing my network setup...

My Question: I guess I am needing insight regarding WPMU vs WPMU with any of the 3 network plugins and any information on which network plugin is most compatible or which one a different member here is using and what are their experiences with these?

Please help me with this, it is quite daunting....
    Thanks again,

• karmikovic

The most confusing part of WPMU to me is the plugins which enable nested networks, the networks + plugin has its own built in domain mapping (a table in the db), while the multi-networks plugin has (in my opinion) a greater ability, being able to move sites across the created networks....(and by golly, I just figured out it can also pull separate installations living in subdirectories into the main root network)

So I am going to test this tonight, but

it seems this is the answer to have installations in subfolders to allow mapping to the main server ip and creating a multinetwork on the main server installation which in turn mapped to the correct subfolder for the as it is working so far.

I have just recently noticed the ability of the multi-networks plugin to allow adding sites in the network which are not currently pointing to the same subfolder, this is quite an awesome feauture, so I guess I won't be using networks +.....

Does anyone know about multi-networks to the degree they could give me insight about certain or specific database/plugin problems which are commonly experienced when using this Multi-network plugin (specifically, has anyone successfully got the WPMUdev plugins to work with Multi-Networks?)

I will get back with my conclusion of the Multi-Network plugin and its ability to allow domains living in subfolders to map the main server IP and it be handled by the Multi-Network in such a way that the request ends properly at the subfolder installation.

Hope this helps someone in a similar circumstance! :slight_smile:

• Timothy Bowers

If I decided to point these sites to root, I could give the domains access to the root domains' ssl ability and it would take care of my IP issue on the mapping of domains to the server IP...

You are sharing a standard SSL cert over multiple domains?

This brings me to the problem...As far as functionality, the multiple network plugins seem to only enable additional management features for the administrators of multiple domains, such as the ability to assign child sites to parent networks. Other than the administration management structure, I can see no reason to use these network plugins due to this fact:

In the case of our Multi Domain plugin, that is really to allow you to offer multiple domains for Multisite install. So you can have multiple domains with their own subdomains.

A normal WPMU enabled installation can already enable users who have domains to add more domains...

A normal WPMU install wouldn't allow that without a plugin like Domain Mapping.

My Question: I guess I am needing insight regarding WPMU vs WPMU with any of the 3 network plugins and any information on which network plugin is most compatible or which one a different member here is using and what are their experiences with these?

I can't comment for the others available but as I mentioned ours is to allow you to offer multiple domains for people signing up, so:

networksite1.com
    - subsite1.networksite1.com
    - subsite2.networksite1.com

networksite2.com
    - subsite3.networksite1.com
    - subsite4.networksite1.com

Does anyone know about multi-networks to the degree they could give me insight about certain or specific database/plugin problems which are commonly experienced when using this Multi-network plugin (specifically, has anyone successfully got the WPMUdev plugins to work with Multi-Networks?)

I don't personally use their plugins, have you tried it and found some issues there and if so which of our plugins didn't work with their plugin?

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.