Server requirements for Snapshot Pro

Hi!

What's the server requirements for moving the snapshot pro backup folder to another localtion? I tried to change the path but it keeps moving back to wp-content/uploads/snapshots which is accessible from public if they know the URL.

Thanks!
Luis

• James Morris

Hello LUIS,

I hope you are well today.

I just tested this on my shared hosting account (1&1) and I was able to move the snapshot folder to a location outside of my web root without issue. There's a notice inside Snapshot that explains that not all hosts will support this. Also, it depends on the location of where you are wanting to move the folder. There may be insufficient permissions for the plugin to write to that directory.

If you would like, I could log into your host and take a look around and see if we can get this taken care of for you. Please visit the Contact page and complete the form with the following information:

Select "I have a different question" from the drop-down box.

Subject: "Attn: James Morris"

In the Message box, please provide the following:

- Admin login:
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- Hosting Control Panel Login
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- FTP credentials
    host
    username
    password
    (and port if required)

- link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris

Hello LUIS,

Completely understandable.

Sometimes it's not about the chmod permissions (777), but the chown (Owner of the folder). You may need to check and see if you can change the ownership to match that which everything inside public_html (or whatever your web root is) uses.

If that does not work, then your hosting provider has limited access to PHP files and has restricted them to inside the web root. If that's the case, you won't be able to move the snapshots folder outside of your web root. If that is the case, you could give your folder a very complex name and place it inside the root or another subdirectory of your site. Something like ./public_html/.1d0nt3x1st/ then place a .htaccess file in that folder limiting access to localhost only.

I hope that clarifies a bit.

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.