Session error

I installed a fresh copy of WP and installed the Newsletter plugin. Everything seemed to work fine, I worked on the site for another hour or so. However, today I go to the site and get the following error. I read a number of threads about this, but my PHP session path is /tmp and the directory does exist at /tmp on the server. This happened to me a couple weeks ago on a different site with the WHMCS plugin and I removed the plugin to solve it and haven't tried installing it again. I need some advise on how to deal with this. This is a new cPanel VPS server and we are reselling hosting on it. We are new to WPMU plugins, though.

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/tmp/sess_3f64b946cd2c0c7b772296be5fd3d9ae, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /home/casged/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php on line 1470

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/casged/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php:1470) in /home/casged/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php on line 1470

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/casged/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php:1470) in /home/casged/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 866

Warning: Unknown: open(/tmp/sess_3f64b946cd2c0c7b772296be5fd3d9ae, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings brucelet,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/tmp/sess_3f64b946cd2c0c7b772296be5fd3d9ae, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /home/casged/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php on line 1470

This error message above indicates there is either a permissions problem on the /tmp folder or a miss-configured server since the session files cannot be written to the /tmp folder if the /tmp folder indeed exists.

Almost all the errors with the exception of this one:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/casged/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php:1470) in /home/casged/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 866

Point to the /tmp folder problem.

Lets see if we can get the /tmp folder permissions problem resolved and then if the immediately above warning still exists we can work on getting that resolved together.

Please advise about getting the /tmp folder permissioned or what it's current permissions are set at.

Cheers, Joe

• brucelet
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

The permissions on the /tmp directory (top level on the server) are as follows and I have included the definition of what they should be.

The /tmp directory is typically world-writable and looks like this in a listing:

drwxrwxrwt 13 root root 4096 Apr 15 08:05 tmp

Everyone can read, write, and access the directory. The "t'' indicates that only the user (and root, of course) that created a file in this directory can delete that file.

• brucelet
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Just so you understand, I am running many other PHP apps like Wordpress (without WPMU plugins) and Joomla on this server without any errors. Only when I added the WPMU plugins did this error start.

As I said, after installing the plugin, everything was working fine. I logged out and when I came back to it the next day, I was getting the error.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings brucelet,

I am indeed mystified as to why you are having this problem and why the temp error.

I can assure you i am not having any of these issues and have MultiSites almost completely constructed of WPMU Dev plugins and have never seen this error.

This site is over a year old and i have not seen this error arise.
    http://facepresssite.com/

My servers are running CentOS and the one above is an older server with PHP 5.2.14 and we are already building out a new version without error on a CentOS PHP 5.3.13 and again to date no issue like this whatsoever.

I know it has been a bit since I last heard from you, have you managed to overcome this issue?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there, just checking in to see how things are going here as we have not heard from you in a short while.

You might also want to have your host check ownership privileges on those folders. Permission issues are generally server related.

If you need anything further then please feel free to reopen the thread or create a new one if needed.

Take care and have a great day!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.