Session error

I installed a fresh copy of WP and installed the Newsletter plugin. Everything seemed to work fine, I worked on the site for another hour or so. However, today I go to the site and get the following error. I read a number of threads about this, but my PHP session path is /tmp and the directory does exist at /tmp on the server. This happened to me a couple weeks ago on a different site with the WHMCS plugin and I removed the plugin to solve it and haven't tried installing it again. I need some advise on how to deal with this. This is a new cPanel VPS server and we are reselling hosting on it. We are new to WPMU plugins, though.

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/tmp/sess_3f64b946cd2c0c7b772296be5fd3d9ae, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /home/casged/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php on line 1470

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/casged/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php:1470) in /home/casged/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php on line 1470

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/casged/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php:1470) in /home/casged/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 866

Warning: Unknown: open(/tmp/sess_3f64b946cd2c0c7b772296be5fd3d9ae, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

• aecnu

Greetings brucelet,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/tmp/sess_3f64b946cd2c0c7b772296be5fd3d9ae, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /home/casged/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php on line 1470

This error message above indicates there is either a permissions problem on the /tmp folder or a miss-configured server since the session files cannot be written to the /tmp folder if the /tmp folder indeed exists.

Almost all the errors with the exception of this one:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/casged/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php:1470) in /home/casged/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 866

Point to the /tmp folder problem.

Lets see if we can get the /tmp folder permissions problem resolved and then if the immediately above warning still exists we can work on getting that resolved together.

Please advise about getting the /tmp folder permissioned or what it's current permissions are set at.

Cheers, Joe

• brucelet

The permissions on the /tmp directory (top level on the server) are as follows and I have included the definition of what they should be.

The /tmp directory is typically world-writable and looks like this in a listing:

drwxrwxrwt 13 root root 4096 Apr 15 08:05 tmp

Everyone can read, write, and access the directory. The "t'' indicates that only the user (and root, of course) that created a file in this directory can delete that file.

• aecnu

Greetings brucelet,

I am indeed mystified as to why you are having this problem and why the temp error.

I can assure you i am not having any of these issues and have MultiSites almost completely constructed of WPMU Dev plugins and have never seen this error.

This site is over a year old and i have not seen this error arise.
    http://facepresssite.com/

My servers are running CentOS and the one above is an older server with PHP 5.2.14 and we are already building out a new version without error on a CentOS PHP 5.3.13 and again to date no issue like this whatsoever.

I know it has been a bit since I last heard from you, have you managed to overcome this issue?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.