Setting default member role

I am trying to use a default membership level for new sign ups but It isnt assigning anything. How do I do this?

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi satori83

Once again, welcome to the WPMU DEV Community and thank you for using the Membership Plugin!

Regarding setting up membership levels, I would recommend reading the Installation & Use Instructions (https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/installation/). You you scroll down on that page you will find the category: Strangers and Members.

You will find step-by-step advice there on how to set up your membership levels, complete with screen shots. However, if you've followed all the required steps and you're still face trouble, please don't hesitate to get in contact again.

Find the Installation & Use Instructions require some more steps? We welcome feedback from our Users, so please be in touch with your suggestions.

Have a good day!

Gina :: Multiplicity
    Trying out as WPMU DEV Support Staff - Let me know how I go

If this thread is not resolved because the suggested action did not work or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new errors and feedback. Just select the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

• satori83
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Ok, I have read the docs. I have membership enabled. I have a visitor level enabled and assigned the stranger role. Then I have an all access level that will be free for first 2000 members. Both visitor and first 2000 access levels are enabled. I also want a free basic membership and eventually a paid membership. I activated free subscription gateway and now they default to the correct membership. But when I want to offer paid membership option, how do I set that up? I am using Gravity Forms for current reg. form, can that tie in with Paypal gateway if I have the paypal addon?

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi satori83

Thank you for your feedback. Glad that you got the free membership access sorted. To create the paid membership, simply activate the option 'PayPal Express - With Subscriptions' category (as seen on the screenshot that Kimberley provided above.

As for Gravity Forms - we don't provide integration with it on our registration forms, so that's a bit tricky. The easiest way would be to use the registration form within the Membership Plugin to accept payments and offer the free subscriptions.

If you prefer to use Gravity Forms I think you would have to sort that one out directly with GF or get a developer to assist within the custom area.

I hope this information is helpful. Please be in touch if you need any further assistance.

Gina :: Multiplicity
    Trying out as WPMU DEV Support Staff - Let me know how I go

• satori83

I was able to assign level and certain pages are not showing up in the menu, which is good. However, if a visitor knows that a page is http://www.blah.com/activity and goes directly he can still view it despite the level saying no access to certain pages and buddypress pages. I tried setting up shortcodes but there isnt any content to wrap around on activity page.Whats going on?
    Thanks,
    Scott

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Scott,

Glad you're making progress!

Have you enabled the plugin? By default when it's installed it is deactivated. Once you set up your membership structure you need to activate the protection on the site.

You will also need to make sure the posts you want protected are being assigned to the appropriate categories you created in step 2.

Hoping this helps

Kimberly

• satori83

I understand that. But on something like the activity page, there isnt anything to wrap shortcode around. Its an automatic buddypress page. someone without access can type in direct url and still get to page even if they are excluded from seeing it in menu.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Okay, lets see...

Do you have an alternate page set for redirect when non-logged in users try to access a protected page?

Are you testing this with a non-admin login? My understanding is that Admins will not be treated with the Membership rules on the site.

If you are still having issues you can check out the Multisite Privacy plugin as well. It gives you very strict privacy options and will more than likely solve any remaining concerns you have. :slight_smile:

Best,

Kimberly

• satori83

I didnt set an alternate page. I did set up the content area under options that I thought was going to display. I was testing it without being logged in at all on a separate browser. I am not running MU so Im not sure the Privacy plugin would work.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Ok,

I'm looking around on the options panel and it looks like you have to set the stranger role to None in order for the Protected Content Page to show.

When this is set correctly it should, as per the note on the Protected Content Page settings:
    If a post / page / content is not available to a user, this is the page that they user will be directed to.

This page will only be displayed if the user has tried to access the post / page / content directly or via a link.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.