Setting menu items to align with a drip fed membership

Hi,

I'm trying to enable menu items to be hidden/appear in alignment with the pages they represent via drip fed content automatically, but I'm having no joy.

I have four categories Season1, Season2, Season3 and Season4 - each with their own unique landing page which from there links off to their respective training pages (12 pages = 12 weeks per Season).

I have a training tab in the main menu which includes a drop down for 'S1, S2, S3 and S4'.

I need to do either one of the following (in order of ideal solution):

1. Hide off the menu items for drip fed pages that are not active and make them visible automatically when the next cycle of content is dripped to the member.
2. Make each of the menu items visible but pending drips are non-selectable until the activation dates are reached.
3. Make each of the Season menu items visible and direct members to a custom 'drip feed pending' page for each Seasons that are not available.

Currently each of these pages is sent to the generic 'protected content' page which is more a catch all "You need to be a member to access / signup here" styled page.

Is there a way of setting rules to apply to drip fed pages that allow a custom 'season pending' page to be designated which then becomes active upon the activation date?

I look forward to your solutions.

Kind regards,

Ash

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello @ash, I hope this answer finds you well!

Thank you for your question!

You could enable Advanced Membership Menu protection add-on in Membership -> Add-ons. In "Details", select Protect Single Items Menu. This way you will be able to hide the menu items from non memberships.

1.To do this, please navigate to Memebrship 2- > Protection Rules -> Menu Items tab, hover over a menu, you wish to appear in "Who has Access" table -> Modify Access, and assign it to a Dripped Membership. Once a member signs up for a membership, he will see the menu item.

2. Make each of the menu items visible but pending drips are non-selectable until the activation dates are reached.

At the current time this is not possible with Membership 2 plugin, but this will be a great suggestion in Features & Feedback forum. If this feature gets more +1 from others members, most likely this would be considered for future development.

3. Make each of the Season menu items visible and direct members to a custom 'drip feed pending' page for each Seasons that are not available.

My apologies, but I'm not following this, would you please explain more about this?

Is there a way of setting rules to apply to drip fed pages that allow a custom 'season pending' page to be designated which then becomes active upon the activation date?

If I understand you correct, you wish a selective page to be activated for each member when he signs up for a drip membership?

You can do this in Membership 2 -> Protection Rules -> Pages tab. Modify access for a certan page and assign a dripped Membership to it.

If you have any additional questions or require further clarification, please, do not hesitate to post it here!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• ash
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Nastia,

Please see the attached 'dripfeed' pdf with what I'm trying to achieve with the sub-menu items.

You could enable Advanced Membership Menu protection add-on in Membership -> Add-ons. In "Details", select Protect Single Items Menu. This way you will be able to hide the menu items from non memberships.

Can you explain how this would work for my case please? I don't need to hide the sub-menu items for non-memberships but more so for the dripped content that hasn't been dripped yet. That content is part of one membership (Premium) so all of it will be hidden from non-members, naturally. I just need the items hidden or to only appear when that dripped page becomes active.

My apologies, but I'm not following this, would you please explain more about this?

Apologies if that was vague. If hiding the sub-menu items is not an option, I was wondering if instead I could simply show all the sub-menu items but upon arrival on pages that have not yet been dripped have a message that says (this content will be available soon) instead of what is currently there which is the generic 'protected content' page which is used for every other protected page. Like a custom landing page that dissapears when the page is activated when it is dripped. Does that make sense?

If easier I would prefer to create a single landing page for all training seasons with 4 thumbnails on that page which would link to the individual season pages but, Season 1 is available first and the other 3 seasons are greyed out/non-selectable until the drip cycle activates them? Then they would be clickable. See attached pdf for example of Training overview page functionality. Please note these would have to happen automatically. I will not be able to manage this on a member by member basis. it needs to all be relative to the dates outlined in each users agreed dripped content expiry/activation dates.

Please let me know how to resolve this.

Kind regards,

Ash

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello @ash, I hope you are doing well today!

Please accept my apologies for late response!

Basically, you could create multiple memberships for one subscription. Each Membership could be active for a set period of time and so a user could signup and access your content for say 90 days (1 Season), then on the 91st day (2nd Season) they move to the next membership thus getting
    more content. You could do this multiple times with different time frames and even fees.

Based on the PDF you uploaded, you will need to create 4 dripped memberships, one for each season.

Step 1.
    In protected content, assign the right pages and menu for Dripped Membership 1 (Season 1). For or Dripped Membership 2 (Season 2), assign same pages/menus for Dripped Membership 2 and the pages/menus that you have assigned for Dripped Membership 1... Continue to do this pattern for the rest of the Membeships.

Step 2.
    Navigate from your Dashboard to Memberships, click on "Access Options " on Dripped Membership 1.
    - Select "Finite Access" on Access Structure
    - Set the number of days/weeks/months/years under the "Grant access for" line.
    - In "After this membership ends" assign the Membership to Dripped Content Membership 2, which is the membership for Season 2.

Repeat those steps for all the memberships!

I hope this helps! If you require additional information, please, let me know!

Kind Regards,
    Nastia

• ash

thanks for you response. Does this mean recurring billing will still happen for the one subscription that has 4 dripped memberships inside?

Also, how would this then relay with the visibility with the training page buttons? How do I display that a member has the seasons waiting although not selectable and then they automatically become selectable when the next season is available?

• ash

Also, when a Season reaches the end of its third month it should still be accessible, not just end and no longer be accessible - as per the pdfs. When the next season is activated the season that preceded it should still be active, but when the fourth and final season ends (1 year) the user is deactivated.

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello @ash, I trust you are well!

Also, when a Season reaches the end of its third month it should still be accessible, not just end and no longer be accessible - as per the pdfs. When the next season is activated the season that preceded it should still be active, but when the fourth and final season ends (1 year) the user is deactivated.

I will post here an example of setting you should have for your content to achieve the plan from pdf files.
    A subscriber for Dripped Membership 4 (Season 4) should have access to content of Dripped Memberships 1-2-3.

Let's say we have content for each season, named as Season 1, Season 2, etc.
    - To Season 1 content all Dripped Memberships should have access to it.
    - To Season 2 content all Dripped Memberships except Dripped Membership 1 (Season 1) should have access.
    - To Season 3 content, the Dripped Membership 3 and 4 should have access
    - A subscriber for Dripped Membership 4 (Season 4) should have access to content of Dripped Memberships 1-2-3.

Please check the attached ModifyAccessMembership.png screenshot below.

Does this mean recurring billing will still happen for the one subscription that has 4 dripped memberships inside?

Just want to clarify, you wish users to pay annual membership, or they should pay for each season?

In case users will pay the annual recurring payment, then you may charge only for Dripped Membership 1, and left the other memberships free of charge.

The member will be subscribed only to one Membership at the time, once the first memberships ends, the member will have access to the next one, and if it's not free, the member should pay for it, to gain access.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please feel free to let us know!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• ash

Hi Nastia,

Thanks for all that info. We currently have two membership options. A 'Season' recurring plan and an 'Annual' one off payment plan. The Annual plan is simple. The one payment gives that member access to everything immediately.

The 'Season' plan is the dripped content option which means a user is charged each time a 'Season' is dripped to her (every 3 months). The member will accrue each Season in her account each time her recurred payment is made, as a normal dripped subscription should work. We are doing this to make it more convenient for members who may not be in a position to purchase the Annual plan or who can only commit to a certain duration.

I don't think the dripped content feature will work with menus in the way we were hoping so could we focus on just one 'Training Landing' page? All four seasons being displayed on one page in a visual way (as per previous pdf) but only the Seasons that have been paid for (dripped) are selectable. The non-dripped, forthcoming content should be greyed out and coming soon. How do I do that?

Please note this page is for the 'Season' plan so each season that is dripped aligns with a recurred billing cycle, not a one off payment.

Thanks

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello @Ash, I hope you are well today!

All four seasons being displayed on one page in a visual way (as per previous pdf) but only the Seasons that have been paid for (dripped) are selectable. The non-dripped, forthcoming content should be greyed out and coming soon. How do I do that?

At the current time this is not possible with Membership 2 plugin.

I am afraid this will require a lot of custom coding

If you not comfortable with PHP, please feel free to post a new job in the Jobs & Pros forum so a skillfull developer can do this for you.

You can test the solution I gave you on the development site, as well.

Have a nice day and take care :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nastia

• ash

Ok, thanks for your response.

Could you explain to me how the current drip-fed content is navigatable for a user? I'm struggling to see how items are viewed when a new drip-fed item becomes available.

Thanks

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello there @ash!

I just thought, that you could create a separate menu links for each Membership.

In order to hide menu links from a membership, enable Advanced menu protection add-on from Membership 2 -> Add-ons. Click on Details and select Protect singe menu items in case it is not set by default.

Let's take for example Season1 Membership:
    In Appearance -> Menus add the page for Season 1 and a Custom Link for Season 2/3/4. Instead of URL, insert #. This way, when a user click on the Custom Menu, he or she will remain on the same page.

Once you create a menu for Season1, Navigate to Membership 2 -> Protection rules -> Menu Items tab. Assign a Dripped Membership 1 to access these menus .

Repeat the steps for each membership.

This way you will have a separate menu for each Membership.

Let me know if you require further assistance!

Kind Regards,
    Nastia

• ash

Ok, I think I might understand what you are getting at... please let me know if this is correct...

The 'Premium' plan we have is a 4 season, drip-fed plan with recurred billing. Are you suggesting we create the following plan:

Divide the Premium plan into 4 memberships (P1, P2, P3 & P4)
    - P1 contains Season 1
    - P2 contains Season 1 & 2
    - P3 contains Season 1, 2 & 3
    - P4 contains Season 1, 2, 3 & 4

If so, will the recurred billing cycle still work and automatically move users to the next plan?

Would this also mean setting up a custom training landing page for each plan?

Thanks

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Ash!

Hope you’re doing good

Yes, this is what I am trying to say :slight_smile:

You need to modify access for each content like I showed in the attached screenshot from the post above:

- To content of Season 1, all memberships should have access
    - To content of Season 2, all memberships except Premium 1, should have access
    - To content of Season 3, Premium 3 and Premium 4 membership should have access
    - To content of Season 4, only Premium 4 Membership should have access

Premium 4 membership should have access to all content.

If so, will the recurred billing cycle still work and automatically move users to the next plan?

Yes, once the membership ends, it will automatically move the user to another one that you have set in the access option like it is shown in the attached screenshot. But the user will be needed to authorize the payment again.

Please note! Do not set the first three Premium Membership as Reqcurring Payments, set them as One Payment for Finite Access.
    The Premium 4 access options, depends from either you wish a member to continue to have access to all of your content or you may restrict access to visitor level.

Would this also mean setting up a custom training landing page for each plan?

I'm not exactly following you here.
    You have content for 4 Seasons, you must modify access to this content. I guess that each Season will have its own landing page.

If you mean the TRAINING OVERVIEW page, like you posted in the attached screenshot, you may have just this one, but when a member will click on a Season which he or she haven't assigned yet, he/she will be redirected to a page with the following message:

"You do not have permission to access this page"

And of course, you may choose to create 4 different landing pages for each membership, in case you wish the seasons will be visible but not selectable.

If you have any additional questions or require further clarification, please, do not hesitate to post it here!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• ash

Hi Nastia,

Thanks for that. Do users have to authorise recurred payments in general or just this way? I thought the whole point of recurring was so that it was taken out automatically for convenience to the user? Not overly happy that they would have to do this.

I'm also conscious that there seems to be no way to bulk move members from one plan to another. Would I have to move existing users who have already signed up to the existing Premium plan one by one?

Regards,

Ash

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello there @ash!

I trust you are well today!

Do users have to authorise recurred payments in general or just this way? I thought the whole point of recurring was so that it was taken out automatically for convenience to the user? Not overly happy that they would have to do this.

If you set the payment for "One payment for finite access", then yes, the user will be needed to authorize the next payment, once he will be moved from one membership to another.

The membership's recurred payment will, indeed, charge the member automatically once the membership is close to an end. In your case, though, if you set recurred payment to first three memberships, the member will continue to pay for the Premium 1 membership each season and he/she will not be moved to the next membership as long as the member continues to pay.

You may apply recurred payment to the Premium 4 membership (Season 4 content) in case you wish from the member to continue to pay each season automatically.

I'm also conscious that there seems to be no way to bulk move members from one plan to another. Would I have to move existing users who have already signed up to the existing Premium plan one by one?

Membership 2 plugin has a bulk action. In order to add or drop selected members from one membership to another, please navigate to Membership 2 - > All members, select the members you wish to move add apply the bulk action as it is shown in the attached screenshot.

Please note! When you move user manually from one membership to another paid membership, and you wish a member to pay for this membership, you will need to change their status from Active to Pending (Activate on next payment) as it is shown in the Status.png screenshot.

If you have any other questions or would like me to clarify anything else, please, let me know. I am always glad to help in any way I can.

Cheers,
    Nastia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.