Setting Prices For Classifieds. Few Options

I just got your classifieds the other day and I think I have it all set except one thing.... The Cost to an advertiser. It doesn't give me options as to Cost for how Long. But if I go in as an advertiser, it asks how long the ad will run and it gives me the option of 1, 2, 3, or 4 weeks.

So, if I set the cost at $5, is the $5 per week? I want to charge $20 or $30 PER MONTH. Can that be setup?

I wish it gave me the option, as admin, to charge $XX per Week or $XX Per month.

Thank you!

Bob Donovan
Publisher
The Sled Dogger Magazine
:stuck_out_tongue:ublisher@TheSledDogger.com">Publisher@TheSledDogger.com

• Bob

Thank you for getting back to me again... I received an E-Mail at my e-mail address with this response:

"Hi Bob,

Thanks for having purchased our Classifieds plugin, though I'm really sorry to hear it might not suit your project. I'd really love to look into that and can see you've gotten some of this posted to our support area here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/setting-prices-for-classifieds-few-options

As Tyler from our team keenly noted, you can use the credit features in the plugin to provide more custom payment options. We'd love to look into that in more detail through that forum post.

If you'll just let us know through that post, what further you'd like to achieve, we'll gladly work with you there.

While we couldn't feasibly refund apart from ensuring full support measures, we'll do our best to assist and ensure you're happy here.

How does that sound?
    Please rate my reply:
    http://nicereply.com/wpmudev/21136?ticket=58878020/196785

Kind Regards.
    David

David,
    Pre-sales, Accounts & Billing
    contact@wpmudev.org | Latest WordPress News - wpmudev.org
    wpmudev.com | Facebook | Twitter"

Here's the problems I'm having and when I tried to test it, several people mentioned too....

1) I'd like to be able to have charges for X # of words per week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks and a month. And for XX # of words, that would be a higher charge....
    2) Perspective advertisers.... They have to Sign In to use the classifieds.... Personally, I think they should be viewable and someone can purchase something without being a "member." They should be viewable to all! A lot of people WILL NOT look at the classifieds if they are forced to sign up just to view them. This makes perspective advertisers hesitate to advertise.
    3) Users that want to place a classified have to sign up. I'm OK with that. However, on the sign up page it asks for a) USER NAME and b) E-Mail address. Once the perspective advertiser completes that form and agrees to the terms and clicks enter.... Suddenly he/she is just sitting there unsure what to do because there was NOTHING that told the new user that an E-Mail was sent to their registered E-Mail address with their Temporary Password and that they can change the password when they log in. Instead, they complete the registration and then it asks for user name and password...... Without knowing a password was sent, they loose interest and leave....

Thanks!
    Bob Donovan
    The Sled Dogger

• Bob

One more thing.... one of the 3 Auto Generated Pages "Classifieds" where my classifieds are supposed to appear doesn't seem to be working. I deactivated and reactivated 3 times and when you go to "Classifieds" the only that it says is
    "CLASSIFIEDS
    Virtual page. Editing this page won’t change anything."

So, I activated the ads but I'm not sure if they are getting activated or what? When you click on "Activate" it seems that option should be replace with "Deactivate" so you KNOW it IS activated and you can deactivate it.

But yes, My Classifieds page is basically a blank page.

Thanks!
    Bob Donovan
    The Sled Dogger

• DavidM

Hi @Bob,

Thanks for your replies and for working with us here, I'm sure we can get this sorted for you!

To begin with, you'll want to use "pretty" permalinks settings for this to work properly, plus it's just generally better for SEO purposes and aesthetics.

Could you please go to Settings > Permalinks and set something besides the default permalink setting?

Currently your pages all default to urls like "yoursite.com/@page_id=1" and with the permalinks customized, you'll have urls like "yoursite.com/classifieds" or "yoursite.com/about". And Classifieds pages should work just fine with that non-default url setting.

I'll address some of your prior concerns inline:

1) I'd like to be able to have charges for X # of words per week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks and a month. And for XX # of words, that would be a higher charge....

That admittedly would require a fair bit of custom code as the credit functionality is designed to just let users pay for credits as they like and they can then create ads using those credits.

If you need to limit the number of words they can post per time period, you'll need to use a subscription for pricing. And you'd then need extra custom code to restrict them on the basis of # of words.

Would that credit feature maybe work for you for now? Then you could maybe look at extending it later with custom code?

2) Perspective advertisers.... They have to Sign In to use the classifieds.... Personally, I think they should be viewable and someone can purchase something without being a "member." They should be viewable to all! A lot of people WILL NOT look at the classifieds if they are forced to sign up just to view them. This makes perspective advertisers hesitate to advertise.

No problem, the ads themselves will be visible to all. You'll be able to see that once the permalink settings are configured per above.

Meanwhile, it's just the ad posting features that require a login.

3) Users that want to place a classified have to sign up. I'm OK with that. However, on the sign up page it asks for a) USER NAME and b) E-Mail address. Once the perspective advertiser completes that form and agrees to the terms and clicks enter.... Suddenly he/she is just sitting there unsure what to do because there was NOTHING that told the new user that an E-Mail was sent to their registered E-Mail address with their Temporary Password and that they can change the password when they log in. Instead, they complete the registration and then it asks for user name and password...... Without knowing a password was sent, they loose interest and leave....

Totally understandable, I see it currently just logs the user in and they end up right back at the login section. The permalinks settings should sort that out, I believe.

If it's any further issues, we can sort resolve that with a custom redirect, I'll mention more should that be needed (I believe the permalinks settings will actually address most of these initial issues).

Could you please ensure the permalinks settings are adjusted as noted above?

I think that'll address many of your initial concerns. We'll look forward to your reply here. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    David

• Bob

Thanks David... Adjusting the permalinks... I did that once for my site and had to change it back as it changed all the page names and nothing worked on the site. I would have ad to go and relink everything. When people tell me to do this it sounds so easy. Am I doing something wrong? Shouldn't WP auto configure the new "pretty" permalinks? If I have to reconfigure everything throughout my site, I can't do that as this is a magazine and I can't crash the site for a day.... Please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

PS: I greatly appreciate the time you are spending here with me on this.

• DavidM

Hi @Bob,

Aw, you're most welcome, we're more than happy to help out and really appreciate your patience with all this too. :slight_smile:

WordPress does take care of menu items and other premalinks that link to page/posts as long as they're not custom links. From what I can see on your site, the links seem fine though.

Were there specific links you were concerned about?

Could you maybe provide a url where you're seeing broken links?

Cheers,
    David

• Bob

OK, I just switched to "pretty permalinks" about an hour or two ago so you have seen the site after that. I have a couple broken links, But I'll fix those.

When a customer clicks on CLASSIFIEDS from the menu, is it coming up as it's supposed to? It doesn't have a list of Categories or Ads, it spreads the ads out left and right down the page. And, if someone wants to place a classifieds after seeing them, there is no link on the page to "PLACE A CLASSIFIED."

I'm computer stupid and may just be doing something wrong. But it just doesn't see to look or work like your demo. I wish you have a start to finish installation video. I learn better and get a lot less aggravated when I can see something rather than read about it..... :slight_smile: If you scroll back through the questions/problems, you'll see what is causing me grief.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your time!
    Bob

Bob

Bob

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.