Setting specific expiration/renewal dates

The following are "pre-sales" questions:

For the record, we are currently using S2Member, and not really happy with it or the enthusiasm of the support team.

I currently run a website for a professional membership organization with 750 members that uses specific calendar dates for annual membership. Members sign-up or renew from July 1 through June 30 of each year. Can WPMUDev Membership plugin do this? If not, is it a feature you'd be interested in pursuing? With S2Member, we have to manually update each member as they renew to reflect the correct renewal/expiration date.

Also, we have a need to export the membership data from time to time. However, S2Member's database storage system is severely lacking; instead of using columns for each of the custom fields, they simply store them all in succession after the "stock" data; since the custom fields are optional, some members fill in some of them. So, when exporting data, the columns do not line up and it takes hours each time we export to clean it all up. Many people have asked S2Member to fix this problem and they are either non-responsive or say that it "may" be an update in the future but that it has absolutely no priority. So we are stuck. Can Membership export the data and does it do so in a friendlier way?

Thank you in advance for your help! :slight_smile:

• Timothy Bowers

Hi HarnessTech.

The membership takes the date the user registers and then applies the term to the expiry date, ie 30 days membership would expire 30 days from signup.

There is no way to currently set the year to year dates as you would like to a specific date without manually editing everyones membership.

It could be achieve with some custom work, and I don't envisage it would be to hard. But it is out of the scope of the current plugin. Sorry.

With regards to exporting, it isn't something the plugin handles at the moment I'm afraid. I presume the purpose of this would be for accounting? How would you envisage such a feature working? CVS export perhaps?

Take care.
    Tim.

• HarnessTech

Thank you for the quick response! This is why I love WPMU Dev. :slight_smile:

I would be willing to pay for some custom development to add this functionality to the Membership plugin. Is that even an option? If so, what kind of cost in USD would you expect? And heck, I'd be happy to just allow the custom code to be added into the plugin for all WPMU Dev members, to support the community.

For exporting, the use would mostly be for accounting and to hand off to other services, such as our event coordinator who handles all on-site conference registrations. The desired output would be comma-separated CSV files.

Thanks again!

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the kind comment.

I know the current schedule for developers is rather full at the moment. I'll ask Barry to pop in to see if some kind of featured sponsorship might be possible to entice the addition of these. Failing that you could post your project to our project board for other developers to look at:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs

I could certainly see a huge use for CVS export, I know it would help with importing into accounts programs and for accounts departments. Perhaps options to specify which data to pull before hitting submit would also be good.

I know of a few organisations that run registration from one specific month of the year. All signed up after that date would be given the option to pay the yearly fee until the next renewal or after X date (part through the year) new signups can pay half the years fee in addition to one extra years fee.

Not a way I would personally like to do things, but it seems to work for them and obviously you. Out of interest, what was your reasoning for doing it that way? The organisations I asked either stated that it was easier for their billing and management, or thats just how they want it.

I just wonder. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• HarnessTech

Yes, being able to select which fields to export would be a plus, but not necessary, as it would be easy to remove extra fields in the CSV once it is exported.

One workaround for the calendar date issue might be to allow both import AND export of CSV files, so that we could download the CSV, make the necessary date changes, then import it back in. I could live with that. :slight_smile:

I'm really not sure why they use specific dates for their membership, other than the fact that they are a 50-year-old organization and have always done it that way. I did actually talk to them about changing that, and while they were open to it, they like the influx of cash at one time of year so they know what kind of budget they have to work with for the whole year. It does actually make some sense. :slight_smile:

I will wait to see if Barry has any interesting information to add, then maybe I will see about looking at the jobs board. My main concern about this is maintaining the custom code as Membership continues to develop and improve.

• Timothy Bowers

I'm really not sure why they use specific dates for their membership, other than the fact that they are a 50-year-old organization and have always done it that way. I did actually talk to them about changing that, and while they were open to it, they like the influx of cash at one time of year so they know what kind of budget they have to work with for the whole year. It does actually make some sense. :slight_smile:

You know the organisations I refer to are also older ones. One is some 100+ years old. Must be something from "back in the ole day" ha ha.

I can't guarantee when Barry will get back to us on this one. I know he is extremely busy and its nearly the new year now. So please give it a couple of days.

Would anyone else like to see this as well?

+1 from me :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.