Setting up a directory Web site

Hello,

I would like to use WPMU themes and plug-ins exclusively to create a directory Web site and was hoping to get your advice on the latest tools available to do this. Previously I had discussions; however, it has been several months so I thought I would start afresh as things have likely evolved.

It is crucial that I achieve the following goals with this site:

1. Be able to import a .csv file of listings to the directory, including all the standard info: Business Name, Address, Summary Info, Detailed Info, a "More Info" URL etc.

2. For each listing above, with regards to the "More Info" URL, I would like to be able to upload a URL that the user can click for more info and be able to to create a call to action from it for example "Contact ABC Business", so basically this is the concatenation of (a) text (b) Business Name. In other words, I don't want the actual URL to show, but a nicer option to click.

3. I do not want any users to be able to log in and add listings ... the site is intended to be created by a feed only, which will be refreshed via research.

4. Writers are able to submit articles for posting on the site, which can also allow them to place a link to their site.

5. I can create a "featured" section, which may show a calendar of upcoming events.

6. People who run events are to be able to submit those events to the site so they can independently sell tickets to them. Ideally a percentage of ticket sales would go to the site owner, the percentage of which can be easily changed whether 0 or x%.

7. Be able to include an image which scales nicely to the screen for all devices, which is stored in the WordPress Media Library. Having a slider would also be nice.

8. Be able to install a code snippet immediately following the opening <body> tag for Google Tag Manager.

9. Be able to capture e-mail addresses through a slide-in widget (which presumably links to MailChimp or some other e-mail management program).

10. Be able to generate /sitemap.xml files which list all URLs on the site.

Thank you very much for your advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Mike

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hey Michael,

Hope you're doing well today.

Unfortunately there were not any updates to Directory plugins in the meantime that would make any difference in setting up your desired layout.

1. Be able to import a .csv file of listings to the directory, including all the standard info: Business Name, Address, Summary Info, Detailed Info, a "More Info" URL etc.

Since there were no changes answers from your previous thread still apply:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-do-import-listings-to-the-directory-plug-in

2. For each listing above, with regards to the "More Info" URL, I would like to be able to upload a URL that the user can click for more info and be able to to create a call to action from it for example "Contact ABC Business", so basically this is the concatenation of (a) text (b) Business Name. In other words, I don't want the actual URL to show, but a nicer option to click.

I'm not sure I completely understand this part (sorry), could you give an step by step example of how you imagined this to work?

3. I do not want any users to be able to log in and add listings ... the site is intended to be created by a feed only, which will be refreshed via research.

4. Writers are able to submit articles for posting on the site, which can also allow them to place a link to their site.

You can assign custom capabilities for each user role by going to Listings > Settings > Capabilities tab in your admin section, this should take care of this part for you.

5. I can create a "featured" section, which may show a calendar of upcoming events.

There is no option to show calendar in directory, for events you could check our Events+ plugin that will allow you to create calendar of events post and you can filter it by category so if you assign Featured category to desired events you can show only those on the calendar.

6. People who run events are to be able to submit those events to the site so they can independently sell tickets to them. Ideally a percentage of ticket sales would go to the site owner, the percentage of which can be easily changed whether 0 or x%.

This is not currently possible with out Events+ plugin, only thing you could do here is create WordPress Multisite and on each sub-site users will set their PayPal credentials in order to sell tickets from their sub-site, there is no option to add or change percentage that goes to main site owner.

7. Be able to include an image which scales nicely to the screen for all devices, which is stored in the WordPress Media Library. Having a slider would also be nice.

Are we not talking about directory posts, events or something else?
    This mostly depends on the theme you're using and it's CSS setup, still if the images are not responsive it should be easily fixable with some CSS tweaks.

8. Be able to install a code snippet immediately following the opening <body> tag for Google Tag Manager.

This could be an option in your theme or you can use plugin like this one https://wordpress.org/plugins/duracelltomi-google-tag-manager/

9. Be able to capture e-mail addresses through a slide-in widget (which presumably links to MailChimp or some other e-mail management program).

You can use our Slide In plugin for this part since it comes with MailChimp integration https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/slide-in/

10. Be able to generate /sitemap.xml files which list all URLs on the site.

For this case you can try out our SmartCrawl SEO plugin:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/smartcrawl-wordpress-seo/

If you have any additional questions please try opening new threads since we are dealing with a lot of stuff hear that are not closely related and will help us keep better track of everything and ensure you get better response for each question.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Michael
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello Predrag,

Would you tell me please, does your Directory plugin allow me to place a simple banner across the front page like which is there now on frederictonhoteldirectory.info?

And perhaps place a few featured images on the home page?

That's all I want to do really.

Can you tell me how if this is possible?

Thanks
    Mike

• Michael
    • The Crimson Coder

P.S.

All I want is the most simple thing:

1. a banner on the home page (as above).
    2. a featured image slider below it.
    3. directory listings (which I upload rom .csv)
    4. footer
    5. some other plug-ins.

So I really just need the simplest of themes to get going, but I find every template I use is so full of buttons buttons buttons endless buttons that I don't need and is taking hours to set up.

Can you help me get started by suggesting a simple theme, thank you? I thought the Directory plug-in came with its own theme that I could customise but I am not seeing it.

Thanks,
    Mike

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Mchael!

I understand your point about themes, there's indeed a "trend" to market "all-in-one" themes all around and those simple themes are more and more hart to find. I would however suggest our Upfront based "Luke + Sara" theme as it's a clean and simple theme and thanks to Upfront editor you are able to easily adjust it to your own needs with a visual "drag&drop" editor.

Take a look here please:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/luke-sara/

As for your other requirements.

1. You can place any banner on any page with Upfront simply by uploading and then "dropping" a picture on site

2. Slider is included with the theme and you only need to select images that are to be rotated/displayed

3. This has been already responded before by my colleague @Predrag Dubajic

4. That'd be pretty much the same as in #1 and #2: you can edit footer of the page with Upfront editor pretty easily.

5. I think that's not related to Directory plugin or any theme as using plugins that extend your site features is just an essence of WordPress itself.

I thought the Directory plug-in came with its own theme that I could customise but I am not seeing it.

It still does. The "catch" here is that you will want to access your server via FTP and then:

- go to /wp-content/themes/ folder
    - create a new folder there (e.g. "DirectoryTheme")
    - copy everything from "/wp-content/plugins/directory/themes/default" folder to that new folder that you've just created.

After this is done, the "directory" theme will show up on your theme list. If you prefer to use this one though, please note that it's considered a "legacy" theme and is no longer developed. In case of a simple directory site it may however do the work quite well.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Michael
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello Predrag,

Thank you for that.

I'm really sorry but what exactly is the issue in the context of how it may affect me. Basically I would just like to upload listings and have the URLs of each page be related to the content.

I would also like to be able to use other WPMU plug-ins.

Do you offer any themes which are not Upfront-based? I am looking for a WPMU-created theme that lets me set up a Directory as per my other messages. All I need is a way to add a banner, create an image slider, have a main menu, footer and of course upload the listings. I don't want to use any template off the shelf as I don't trust what is behind them, particularly since I was hacked before via this method. I only want to use your premium paid themes which come with guarantee against that.

Many thanks,
    Mike

Kind regards,
    Mike

• Michael
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello Predrag,

In addition to above, does the Directory 'theme' allow for other plug-ins to be added to it ... just like any other normal theme? Or is it no longer supported.

There were problems with the Directory theme in the past where it could not handle background images I believe, is that still the case?

Thanks.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hey Mike,

We covered most of your question in yesterday's chat, right?

There were problems with the Directory theme in the past where it could not handle background images I believe, is that still the case?

I don't believe we addressed this one, can you tell me which background image are you referring to?

If there are any other questions you need help with let us know :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Milan
    • WordPress Wizard

Hello @mike148,

Hope you are doing well.

I can confirm that with latest upfront many of the virtual pages or directory plugin are not performing well so currently Directory plugin not behaving the same way it behaves with default wordpress theme.

Main issue here is that virtual page is not supported fully with Upfront yet but our developers are working very hard to make it work. Hopefully virtual page's full supports gets added soon.

Kind Regards,
    Milan

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Michael!

Does this mean Upfront needs to be fixed, or the WPMU Directory theme, or both? Rather:
    .... Upfront theme, or WPMU Directory plug-in, or both?

Although we're subsequently updating some of our plugins to work with "real" WordPress pages instead of virtual ones, for some plugins this is not possible. Therefore in general, we need to make Upfront fully compatible with virtual pages and our developers are working on this. I'm not able to give you any ETA on this but I can confirm that it's on a "fix/feature" list for Upfront.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Michael,

Long story short, Upfront can't work with Directory plugin at this moment, we are still looking into best way to get this sorted out.
    Upfront doesn't play well with virtual pages and Directory plugin uses virtual pages, we would need to either get the Upfront to work with virtual pages or rewrite Directory plugin so it doesn't use virtual pages, our developers are looking into best way to deal with this.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Michael
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Predrag,

I guess it would probably make more sense to update Upfront since I would not want the listings in the Directory plug-in modifiable by a user (as an actual page) since they would be meant to be managed via the Directory plug-in either as an import or a user adding their own listing.

Not sure if I am making sense here, would that be a correct line of thinking?

Have a great day.

Mike

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Mike!

I guess it would probably make more sense to update Upfront since I would not want the listings in the Directory plug-in modifiable by a user (as an actual page) since they would be meant to be managed via the Directory plug-in either as an import or a user adding their own listing.

There's always some way to restrict user access and/or editing capabilities for particular page(s)/content, though I can fully understand your point. I'm not able however to tell you whether in this case the Directory plugin will be updated to user "real" pages or a compatibility layer for its "virtual" pages will be added to Upfront.

The bottom line here is that our developers are on an "ongoing mission" to make Upfront fully compatible with all our themes (one way or another) and as many 3rd-party themes as possible. I think this "compatibility fixes" are gradually added with every major release and hopefully this should be soon solved on a wider scale.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Michael
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello,

Does the new release of Upfront 1.2 now work with the WPMU Directory theme?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/upfront-1-2/?utm_campaign=Roost&utm_source=Roost&utm_medium=push

In other words, Upfront now allows the virtual pages that Directory uses to work with it?

If yes ... would you be able to tell me the easiest way to customise one Upfront theme to make it work with Directory ... but then clone those changes and roll it out to around 40 sites so that only minor customisations are then required on each site (rather than doing a big list of customisations 40 times)?

Do you have an example site which integrates Upfront and Directory theme in an aesthetic way that you could send me a link to (or as a demo)? If not could you please create a demo of this combination as it sounds like it should be very easy to set up especially for the creators.

I hope that I can use both together now.

Thanks,
    Mike

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Mike!

Does the new release of Upfront 1.2 now work with the WPMU Directory theme?

This didn't change yet. I know this is a crucial issue but it's also very difficult to overcome and requires a huge amount of changes to both plugins and Upfront. I'm really hoping full compatibility will be introduced soon as it would solve many issues and greatly expand Upfront features. Currently though we need to wait a bit more.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.