Setting up a membership scheme to make use of a particular plugin

Hi,

I want to know is it possible to setup a membership scheme to make use of a particular plugin using Protected content or membership plugin.
Say I have coursepress plugin. Others can join in to my site and offer their online courses through that. I also offer newsletter feature (e newsletter plugin) for each course and I want users to buy a subscription to make use of this feature.

Is this achievable? If so, how should i go about it?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Chathura,

Hope you're having a great day so far!

Others can join in to my site and offer their online courses through that. I also offer newsletter feature (e newsletter plugin) for each course and I want users to buy a subscription to make use of this feature.

I think you could do this with Protected Content and it's Membership capabilities add-on. This allows you to apply capabilities to memberships which are then applied to users who sign up for those memberships. You will notice there are a lot of coursepress capabilities, such as coursepress_create_course_cap - which is one needed for creating the course. There is also create_newsletter capability, although this depends on how you were wanting those users to use eNewsletter? Will you want them to be able to have their own newsletter that only they can edit? That won't be possible by default as the capabilities will apply to the whole plugin.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have further questions.

All the best,
    Tyler

PS. You can also leave the advanced capabilities off and just create a new user that has all the capabilities you want them to have and apply that user role when they get the membership.

• chathura

Thanks for the reply Tyler :slight_smile:

Yes I think by creating different users levels I think I can achieve this.

I didn't knew there's a newsletter functionality built into coursepress. What's that functionality suppose to do? I don't see how coursepress can be utilize to send newsletters.

Any way I'm gonna be using E-newsletter plugin. Can I use E-newslatter user capabilities to create a membership plan in protected content? Otherwise I have to manually restrict access to a plugin by downgrading user level.

Yes I want them to have their own newsletters. It doesn't matter who can edit those because chances of some one editing others' work is minimal.

I thought protected content or the membership plugin works only on front-end of the site and not possible to restrict access to back-end things like Plugins :slight_smile:
    I saw you guys released a new membership plugin today. Does this mean the end of protected content plugin?

Have a great day.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Chathura,

I didn't knew there's a newsletter functionality built into coursepress. What's that functionality suppose to do? I don't see how coursepress can be utilize to send newsletters.

I might of mis-explained that. There isn't any newsletter functionality built into CoursePress. I was thinking you might be creating newsletter groups for each Course and adding the students to them then letting your course admins send out newsletters to them.

Any way I'm gonna be using E-newsletter plugin. Can I use E-newslatter user capabilities to create a membership plan in protected content? Otherwise I have to manually restrict access to a plugin by downgrading user level.

You could have 2 membership plans if you wanted. One that applies e-newsletter capabilities and the other than applies course capabilities. Then activate the Multiple memberships add-on so users can have more than 1 membership applied at the same time :slight_smile:

Yes I want them to have their own newsletters. It doesn't matter who can edit those because chances of some one editing others' work is minimal.

If you don't mind them having access to others newsletters then using the capability method like this should work fine :slight_smile:

I thought protected content or the membership plugin works only on front-end of the site and not possible to restrict access to back-end things like Plugins :slight_smile:

With the new membership capabilities option in Protected Content you can restrict access to certain plugins, or all plugins. Not all plugins have unique capabilities like these ones though.

There is also the "Admin Side Protection" add-on that allows you to protect admin menu items :slight_smile:

I saw you guys released a new membership plugin today. Does this mean the end of protected content plugin?

Yes, so Membership2 is actually Protected Content that we have added more features too and re-branded.

Membership Pro is now gone, and we're importing everyone from Membership Pro to M2 :slight_smile:

So now we have just 1 membership plugin.

Hope this helps! Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.