Setting up a multisite WordPress install

I'm trying to setup a MultiSite WP install. I followed the instructions from video at Lynda.com and everything seems to have gone OK except that I can't seem to install themes or plugins across the sub-domains or other sites I've created. If I am in the Network Admin dashboard I can see the plugins, I can Network activate (which I have done) but if I jump to one of the sites there is no option to update the theme or activate the plugins. Wondering what I'm doing wrong?

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @john,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

I can Network activate (which I have done) but if I jump to one of the sites there is no option to update the theme or activate the plugins. Wondering what I'm doing wrong?

You can only update the themes and plugins from the network admin.

Regarding plugin activation in the sub site, it should work.

Have you installed any plugin which is disabling it?

Can you please share me the screenshot if the screen?

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• john

As you can see in the plugin.png this is my network admin where I can see all my plugins. I installed the multisite install in MedfordHosting.com. The second screenshot shows the Medford Hosting plugin screen and now you can see the plugins (I installed a plugin called jonradio network reveal that shows the plugins. However there is no activate option? Are these plugins already operational? If so I don't see the functionality on the end. This is probably my inexperience with MultiSite. Not sure how to manage it yet. If I install a plugin from the network dashboard does it propagate to all subsites ?
    FInally there is a shot of a test site, thinking that perhaps as I installed MS on Medford Hosting it would be different. I see no option to install a plugin? Can you install a plugin from the subsite or do you need to always install from network admin? So if I wanted particular plugin on one site only, how do I do this?
    Thank you for your help.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @john,

Thank you for your detailed reply.

(I installed a plugin called jonradio network reveal that shows the plugins. However there is no activate option? Are these plugins already operational? If so I don't see the functionality on the end. This is probably my inexperience with MultiSite. Not sure how to manage it yet.

You have activated a plugin called jonradio network reveal on the network site therefore it is activated on all sub sites and you can not activate it again on the subsite as these plugins are already operational.

If I install a plugin from the network dashboard does it propagate to all subsites ?

It becomes available in all sub sites but it's not operational if you activate it on the network site from network dashboard then it becomes operational on all sub sites.

FInally there is a shot of a test site, thinking that perhaps as I installed MS on Medford Hosting it would be different. I see no option to install a plugin? Can you install a plugin from the subsite or do you need to always install from network admin? So if I wanted particular plugin on one site only, how do I do this?

In network site you have to always install a plugin from network admin but you can activate it only on particular sub sites.

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.