Setting up a primary subscription as mandatory before allowing a-la-carte subscriptions on specific

I think I'm missing something obvious, but I'm not able to see how to set this up.

I want a primary subscription - a basic membership to an organization. Then, and only if they have a primary subscription can they sign up for some topic specific memberships. They can choose from eight or so specific topics choosing none or all of them.

• Patrick

Hi @Kipp

Welcome to the forums!

The easiest way to set that up is to use the subscription-specific shortcodes on your Registration page to display only the stuff for your initial plan.

Then, use those same shortcodes to add the other subscriptions to your Subscriptions page.

That way, not-registered users can only see and register for the basic plan. Once they have registered, and visit their Subscriptions page, they see all the others.

But be very careful when creating your access levels as setting things up for multiple concurrent plans gets very tricky, very fast. It's just too easy to create access conflicts.

An alternative could be to use our Pay-Per-View plugin for your topic-specific access plans. The 2 plugins work just fine together.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pay-per-view

• Patrick

Hi again @Kipp

At the Registration Page setting, under the Membership Pages tab, you'll see this:
    You can include an introduction on the page, for more advanced content around the registration form then you should include the [subscriptionform] shortcode in some location on that page. Alternatively leave the page blank for the standard Membership subscription forms.

The page is blank by default. So is the Subscriptions page. That's because Membership injects the forms into the content area on the front-end.

But you can add any content you like to those pages. The only caveat is if you do, and you also want the default forms to appear, you must also add the required shortcodes on those pages.

So, if adding custom content to the Registration page, you would normally add the [subscriptionform] shortcode to it so the standard form gets included also. The standard form shows all your public subscriptions.

But for this particular setup, we want to do it a little differently. Instead of adding custom content to the page and the standard shortcode for the standard form, we want to show only the information for your initial subscription. So the entire contents of your Registration page should look like this (the number should be the ID of the subscription you want your users to initially sign up to):

[subscriptiontitle subscription="2"]
    [subscriptiondetails subscription="2"]
    [subscriptionprice subscription="2"]
    [subscriptionbutton subscription="2"]

Once they've signup up to that subscription and visit their Subscriptions page, then and only then will they see all the other subscriptions you have to offer.

But, once again, be careful setting up multiple subscriptions just for access to little bits of your site. It is really too easy to create conflicts that can effectively lock your users out of everything if they subscribe to multiple plans.

If you want them to subscribe to a membership plan, and then offer them access to specific bits of content throughout your site for an additional fee, then Pay Per View may be a whole lot easier.

In this case, you wouldn't need to create several different Membership subscription plans, and wouldn't need to worry about access conflicts. You also wouldn't need to edit the Registration page at all, as you would have only the one subscription.

• Kipp

Ah! Bingo - that's what I was looking for. The problem that keeps me from using the Pay-Per-View button is that the "interest areas" are also annual submemberships under the primary and hence need to be tied to a specific sub membership. (This is established in the bylaws of the nonprofit I'm helping).

i.e., I belong to parentgroup - I get a membership for one year. I then have the option of joining one, some, or all of eight subparentgroups - also with an annual membership. Throughout the years subgroupA will post content/media that should only be available to subgroupA and not to people that signed up for subgroupB and vice-versa.

• Patrick

Hi again @Kipp

Whoops, that's my mistake.

To have only your custom stuff display on the front-end, you need to hide to default form which otherwise will display on that page too. Add this to your theme's style-sheet to hide it:
    #membership-wrapper { display:none; }

If you don't want to fiddle with the style-sheet, try this simple little plugin for all your custom CSS stuff:
    http://wordpress.org/plugins/my-custom-css/

You can add formatting to your page content too, so it could look like this

<h2>Sign up for our [subscriptiontitle subscription=&quot;2&quot;]</h2>
    <blockquote>[subscriptiondetails subscription=&quot;2&quot;]</blockquote>
    <h4><em>All that for only <strong>[subscriptionprice subscription=&quot;2&quot;]</strong> per month</em></h4>
    <p style=&quot;text-align: right;&quot;>[subscriptionbutton subscription=&quot;2&quot;]</p>

The result on the front-end could look like this:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.