Setting up affiliate program

Hello
Something seems to be missing on my affiliate plugin. Previously there was a place where the user could decide what URL they wanted to use for their affiliate URL. I don't see that anymore.

I also don't know how to get the affiliate program set up. How do I direct users to the place where they can become affiliates? Where do they check the stats? Where do they find their affiliate URL? How do I make it easy for them to understand it and sign up?

How do I know if I am using the plugin correctly? I think something is missing.

I am using the membership plugin as well. I don't see any affiliate options in the membership section.

• DavidM

Hi michaelcoulter5,

To start with, once users are registered on your site, they'll have the Affiliate options in their user dashboard:
    yourdomain.com/wp-admin/users.php?page=affiliateearnings

You could also choose to provide the Affiliate options in the front-end by including the various shortcodes in a page as mentioned in the installation page:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wordpress-mu-affiliate/installation/

Here's a list of them for quick reference:
    [affiliatelogincheck] - place this at the top of the page that you are planning on using the rest of the shortcodes on and it will display a login message if the user isn't logged in.
    [affiliateuserdetails] - mirrors the affiliate details form from the admin area (yellow box)
    [affiliatestatstable] - mirrors the large click statistics table
    [affiliatevisitstable] - mirrors the referrers this month table
    [affiliatetopvisitstable] - mirrors the top referrers table
    [affiliatestatschart] - mirrors the main statistics charts
    [affiliatevisitschart] - mirrors the referrers charts

They'll have access to all the affiliate settings and information they need using those shortcodes or provided through the dashboard area I mentioned above.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have further questions on this!

-David

• dustin

David
    None of those shortcodes provide the affiliates unique affiliate id. Can't I create a unique affiliate URL for each affiliate? Here is what I want to do:

I have a sales page. Each affiliate will refer their customers to this sales page. I need to be able to track this. For example, abc.com/affiliate1 , abc.com/affiliate2

We need a way to track who signs up coming from which affiliate. Is there a better way to do this? Where do I create a unique affiliate URL for each affiliate? I thought I saw the option somewhere before. I can't find it now.

• dustin

Would I use the supporter plugin in combination with the affiliate program in order to do what I want as shown above?

Does the supporter plugin offer the creation of customized affiliate links? For example, can the affiliate decide to add his name at the end of our main domain? For example, betterworldprograms.com/dustin

During registration can we offer the supporter upgrade for free? The purpose won't be to make money on them signing up for the supporter services, but to sign them up as affiliates, versus being a standard paying member.

Both would pay the same amount for the program, $199.

However, affiliates will earn $100 for each customer they refer.

we need to track which customers they refer by giving them a unique URL which they will give to their prospects.

• dustin

Can you help me understand how my affiliate program could work using the plugin? See attached.

For example, I could give an affiliate this url to use http://betterworldprograms.com/offer/ (this is a sub directory install of Multisite)

On this page is a button with a link pointing to our sales page at betterworldprograms.com

Then we could track this affiliate's activities.

However, how do we automatically create a site for each affiliate and then make it easy for them to add the URL with the extra sub directory, such as http://betterworldprograms.com/affilate2 ?

Would I have to ask the affiliate to create a site and then paste that site URL into the advanced settings section? Is there an easier way?

• DavidM

Hi Dustin,

Sorry that I missed responding to your further questions! Looks like some of your more recent threads cover some of these items. I'll go through the main questions you brought up here.

The shortcodes themselves don't provide the affiliate code/url. Instead, the user accesses the plugin settings through those pages where you include the shortcodes and gets the affiliate code/url from there.

Also, Affiliate definitely works with Supporter and Membership both, in the ways you mentioned. You can actually find out quick a bit of the inner workings of the plugin from the following article from the WPMU.org blog too:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/integrating-the-affiliate-plugin-part-one/

As for the domain name being linked with the user's name or id, that would be a matter of custom development at this point, I believe, as I'm not aware of any plugin that does just that.

Also though, that's not really linked with the Affiliate plugin in and of itself. But the article I posted above should help if you're looking to get something customized along this line.

Cheers,
    David

• jcandan

David,

You stated

As for the domain name being linked with the user's name or id, that would be a matter of custom development at this point, I believe, as I'm not aware of any plugin that does just that.

Yet, within the Affiliate Advanced Settings pictured above, the user can enter a URL as noted:

<"There are times when you would rather hide your affiliate link, or simply not have to bother remembering the affiliate reference to put on the end of our URL.
    If this is the case, then you can enter the main URL of the site you will be sending requests from below, and we will sort out the tricky bits for you.">

The URL then appears below Affiliate Details being described as: "Alternatively you can just link directly to the URL below from the site you entered in the advanced settings above:"

This is confusing at best since the same URL you entered as one to link FROM, appears as one you link TO. So, if the affiliate has a website, would he enter his site here (i.e. test2.mysite.com)? Worse still, the URL below the Affiliate Details disappears when you return to the page. On top of that, I used the regular affiliate link (i.e. http://mysite.com?ref=test2-63) and signed up for a website; however, the number of sign ups under that user still shows zero (0).

Please advise. Thanks!

• jcandan

On top of that, I used the regular affiliate link (i.e. http://mysite.com?ref=test2-63) and signed up for a website; however, the number of sign ups under that user still shows zero (0).

This small portion dealing with the supplied affiliate link has been resolved. I'm seeing the signups and upgrades now being positively affected by the introduction of the ProSites (Supporter) addon.

However, this still leaves the matter of the URL. Please, address this confusion.

It would be best if we could offer a real URL for affiliates to use (i.e. mydomain.com/myaffiliatesname) so that our outside sales team could refer leads to this simple URL.

• jcandan

not a bump per se, just marking as not resolved, if that's alright.

just to recap, the issue that has yet to be resolved or answered is:

the user can enter the URL "of the site you will be sending requests FROM..."

That same URL then appears below Affiliate Details being described as: "you can just link directly TO the URL below FROM the site you entered in the advanced settings above"

This is confusing at best since the same URL you entered as one to link FROM, appears as one you link TO.

AND...the URL below the Affiliate Details disappears when you refresh the page or leave and come back.

Please advise...

If the affiliate has a website, would he enter his site here?
    (i.e. notinmymultisitesite.com or affiliate.mymultisite.com)

In other words, are we entering a URL to link FROM or TO?

• Mason

Hiya,

Apologies, seem this one was overlooked.

That same URL then appears below Affiliate Details being described as: "you can just link directly TO the URL below FROM the site you entered in the advanced settings above"

Correct. And this is how it should work. If I'm logged into my affiliate account on your site. I can either use the affiliate link provided OR I can just say that any link coming from my site is meant to be a referral.

This is confusing at best since the same URL you entered as one to link FROM, appears as one you link TO.

I can see how this would be confusing. It's meant to convey the fact that if you're Signed up to the affiliate (SiteA) then you can link to any page on SiteA from your own site (SiteB) and there's no need to do anything fancy with the links.

AND...the URL below the Affiliate Details disappears when you refresh the page or leave and come back.

That seems like an issue. Let me ask the developer to look at that. I'm seeing the same thing on my install.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.