Setting up an initial discount on the first payment only

I have seen several posts about this topic and it spent some time on live chats and from what I have been told this can be done, but I can not seem to get it to work.

Situation: I offer a monthly membership for $10 a month. I enable the addon for coupons. I create a coupon that is worth $5. Customer "A" comes to the site and signs up using the coupon code. They pay only $5 for the first month, however when the next auto payment (using paypal standard gateway) comes due, it is $10. All future payments will be the full $10.

When I try to do this, the coupon is applied to the full term of the membership. So the member is paying the discounted $5 EVERY month. I only want to have this discount for the 1st month. How can I get my settings to achieve this?

NOTE: Support enabled on the site.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey EZMoney,

I hope you're well today!

I think this workaround should help:

1) Create a membership paid $5 and set it up as a finite, one time membership;
    2) Configure content protection for this membership
    3) Create a membership paid $10 - recurring (I guess you may want to use the one you have already)
    4) Configure content protection exactly the same way as for the first (discounted) membership
    5) Set the first membership (discounted) to assign member to the second one (recurring) automatically after it ends
    6) On a signup page do not display this second membership.

This way everyone will signup for a discounted membership and after it ends should be automatically given an option to continue with the standard (recurring) one.

Let me know if it helps,

Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey EZMoney,

I hope you're well today and I'm sorry for the delay!

It will indeed require user to commit a new membership after the first month. As I said, it's "a workaround", however it should do the job.

As for showing/hiding memberships, you'll need to build your own register/subscribe pages. It's not that complicated because you can do everything with shortcodes. Take a look please at

"Protect Content" -> "Help" -> "Shortcodes" page of your dashboard.

With "[ms-membership-register-user]" shortcode you can build a custom registration form, forcing a first-time user to select discounted membership.

With shortcodes described under the "Membership shortcodes" section you can build a page that will let users upgrade/renew (or even choose from multiple memberships) the way you wish.

If you need any further assistance on this, let me know please!

Have a good day!
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.