Setting up BuddyPress and Pro Sites to work together

Hello everyone and thanks for your feedback and help in advance.

I am building a beta version of a product that will include:

1) BuddPress — to create and organize social community using Boss theme from BuddyBoss
2) Pro Sites — offer premium blogs with pre-configured plugins/themes
3) Sensei or CoursePress Pro — to create a training hub

What would be the recommended way to connect these together?

a) I want to offer free access to the community along with 1 free, basic blog.
b) I then want to offer premium blogs (via Pro Sites) using a separate signup process
c) Lastly, I would like each Pro Site membership level to unlock access specific courses in Sensei or CoursePress Pro

Based on the above would you recommend I run my front end website and BuddyPress community on a separate directory from Pro Sites and Membership? Or do I create one install with both BuddyPress, Pro Sites, and whatever e-learning module I choose?

Thanks,
Camilo

• Patrick

Hi there @Camilo

Welcome to WPMU DEV, glad to have you aboard!

All of the above can run just fine on the main site of your network, but there are a couple of details that you would likely want to plan out beforehand:

- Pro Sites functions at the network level but you can specify any site in the network where your Pro Site upgrade/checkout page should be located by adding the following constant to your wp-config.php file (where the number is the ID of the site):
    define ('PSTS_CHECKOUT_SITE', 2);

- Similarly, out-of-the-box, BuddyPress will work on the main site only. But you can add constants to your wp-config.php to make it work only on a subsite in the network or, and this is really cool, on all sites in the network so users can access the same data from any site. See the following for more on those constants:
    https://codex.buddypress.org/legacy/getting-started/install-buddypress-on-a-secondary-blog/
    https://codex.buddypress.org/getting-started/customizing/bp_enable_multiblog/

- CoursePress can also be activated on the main site in the network, or on any subsite (I'm not sure how Sensei functions in a multisite environment).

- Membership2 can be configured to protect content on only the site(s) where it is activated, or it can be network-activated and configured to protect content on all sites in the network by adding the following constant to wp-config.php:
    define( 'MS_PROTECT_NETWORK', true );

So it is really up to you how you want to configure your network, as our products (and BP) appear to be flexible enough to accommodate your requirements.

One important note though on your last point (c): you would want to use Membership2 to restrict access to specific site content. Pro Sites cannot do that unless you custom code some required functionality.

I hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

• Sajid

Hi @Camilo

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Yes! All our plugins uses native WordPress users system to ensure maximum compatibility with core and also with other WordPress plugins on the planet that follows WordPress coding standards.

For WordPress multi sites sub domain setup, it also works. But in some cases don't with www.

Here is a related topic on wordpress.org that would help you understand it clearly.
    https://wordpress.org/support/topic/single-sign-on-for-subdomain

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid