Setting up CoursePress Pro in Multisite

Hello,

We have been trying to style CoursePress for use in our existing theme, but it is proving to be unmanageable and very difficult to configure.

I have seen in other threads that you can accomplish this through multisite, courses.mysite.com, and use the CoursePress theme there.

Can you please provide guidance on how this would be implemented including required plugins to support the multisite solution to using the CoursePress theme? We will also want to customize the fonts, colors, header and footer to match the main site, so guidance on this would be helpful as well.

Vaughan

Hi Jesse,

Hope you're well?

I'm not sure how using multisite would help you accomplish integrating it into your existing theme, with the multisite option, the subsite would be a completely different site and would then still require it's own theme.

How do you mean you are trying to style it for use in your theme?

Could you provide some examples? Screenshots, what parts are you wishing to style?

You can use custom templates like any other plugin.

You would simply copy the plugin templates from the following location into your current themes folder.

/wp-content/plugins/coursepress/includes/templates/

so for instance, if you wish to customize the course-units-single.php

Copy that template file into your current theme folder, then you can edit the template.

If you could explain a bit more with some examples of what you are wanting to achieve?

I'm just confused why you actually need to use multisite.

However, if you do wish to use multisite, it's just a matter of turning your single site into a multisite, the following guide should get you started with that, there isn't actually any special plugins that are required in order to use multisite.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

Hope this helps

Jesse

Hi Vaughan,

I need to use multisite because CoursePress Pro is extremely difficult to configure outside of the CoursePress theme.

Simply copying the templates does not work as we have tried that as well as copying over the CSS and editing it. I was also advised against doing that by another Staff member in a post that was abandoned, which is why I started this one and decided to try it with multisite instead.

What I want to achieve is to have CoursePress Pro have the same look and feel as the rest of my site. This is very difficult, so we are going to try doing it with multisite instead and make the CoursePress theme have the same colors, fonts headers and footers as the main site.

So, I guess there isn't anything additional needed from WPMUDev to manage the multisite set up of this then.

Tyler Postle

Hey Jesse,

Hope you're doing well today and sorry for such a delay on responding here, was cleaning up old threads and saw this one hadn't been responded too.

As for using Multisite for this integration, one plugin I would recommend is the multisite user manager: https://wordpress.org/plugins/multisite-user-management/

That way you can automatically add and apply a user role in the subsite to newly registered users from the main site, and vice versa

As for editing the theme colours, that would require a bit of CSS, which we can help with if you get stuck.

You could also use Ultimate Branding to brand the dashboards as well. https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/ultimate-branding/

Hope this helps and sorry again about the delay. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Cheers,
    Tyler