Setting up development site

I know this isn't necessarily wordpress related, but does anyone know the best place to set up a n area for development if you're building a wordpress site?

Subdomain
Subfolder
A separate site

?

Thanks!

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Are you wanting to do this via an online server (remotely), or locally on your own PC?

if Locally, I would recommend using a package called Xampp which you can find here

it's quite simple to set up, but please read the instructions carefully, it varies depending on what operating system you use.

if you meant an online server, then I would recommend finding a cheap host, or if you already have a host, then create a subdomain on your hosting account and use sub-dirs for each of your development sites.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings annasusmiles,

Thank you for the great question.

As Vaughan had mentioned if locally you can do this using Xampp but of course this does not truly mimic the real world server.

Vaughan also kindly mentioned finding a cheap host which is in my opinion a better choice and how it is done you can read about in an article I wrote right here and this method will indeed offer the real world experience:
    http://webhostingvirtualdedicatedservers.com/two-servers-same-domain-name-equals-developers-dream/

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• annasusmiles
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks everyone!

I'm not sure I'm understanding? Let me tell you my situation and what I was planning on doing. Then, maybe someone can tell me if I'm on the right track.

I have a reseller account with bluehost so I can have as many sites as I want for my reseller fee (as long as bandwidth isn't surpassed).

I've started re-development on a totally different domain. Someone scared me about this though and I was planning on moving what I've done so far onto a SUBDOMAIN of my the site I'm redoing. I figure I might as well do it now, before I've redone too much content or before I've moved some wordpress posts over.

Note: It will be at least a month before I'm ready to make the new site live.

@aecnu - I don't get it?
    :slight_smile:
    What does your article suggest?

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi @Annasusmiles

I think I understand you, I gather you have an existing site which you are re-developing seperately. Once you have finished the new site, you will be then replacing your existing site with the newer 1.

Creating a subdomain is 1 way of keeping the sites seperate. there are some plugins available which will allow you to migrate your site back onto the real domain you want to use, which will make moving the site.

example: your main site is http://www.mydomain.com your subdomain would be dev.mydomain.com.

ideally you want to keep your dev sites seperate from your main sites. you can set a password via your CPanel or htaccess if required to stop prying eyes.

so all you need to do is create the subdomain, then install wordpress to that subdomain & work on it there.
    Once you have finished, download 1 of the many migration/backup plugins available, backup your site & move everything over to the main domain account, reinstall wordpress & then restore the backup you made.

Always backup everything before you proceed just in case.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings annasusmiles,

Thank you for the ping otherwise I would not have made it back here.

In the article I showed how to have a development environment that clearly reflects the live server environment and simple to flip back and forth between the domains using the same domain.

However, considering that your hosting with Blue Host and think they are obviously good and believe in unlimited bandwidth or disk space or whatever.

It is best if I decline to comment further and wish you the best of luck with your sites.

Sincerely, Joe

• annasusmiles
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

You're funny @aecnu ?! :slight_smile:
    I actually do know that there are better hosts than bluehost. AND, I'm sure that the "unlimited bandwidth" they provide has other drawbacks that I don't know about it. But, it's all I can afford right now.
    - Sigh

Anyways. I would love it if you could clarify... I always like to know the best solution even if it isn't something I can do this time around.

Oh well.
    Thanks anyways.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

@annasusmiles

for shared cheap hosting, I've never had issues with surpasshosting. they're based in US, but they have a datacenter in UK too.

they're cheap & i've always found their support good too. & their servers aren't overloaded with hundreds of customers either.

think you can pick up there for around $3-5 a month. obviously if your site starts getting thousands & thousands of visitors per day, you'll need to upgrade cos of the bandwidth increase. but for general stuff they're sound.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.