Setting up domain mapping

Hi,

Can someone explain how I can map a domain to a wordpress blog in multisite that's setup with user blogs having a file extention and not a subdomain?

I have a test blog that I setup at http://stickytrade.com/webezy/

I am using a spare domain name called bestbuyfeed.com for which I added DNS "A" record pointing at the IP address of my server: 74.124.217.32

I have placed the domain mapping plugin in the correct files as required. I have also setup my dedicated ip to point to my website sign up page.

However when I add the domain bestbuyfeed.com to the domain mapper nothing happens. Have I missed something?

• webezy
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I have a dropdown that I can choose 3 options from as you said and I have chosen 'original domain'. But this setting enables you to control how the domain mapping plugin operates with the administration area. I'm don't understand how that could cause the problem I have. Are you using this plugin?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings webezy :slight_smile:

since you are using sub folders instead of sub domains I personally for this domain I would have skipped all the wp processing and let the server do the redirecting instead - certainly more efficient.

In my server CP I would create the domain full of emptiness and then used the server CP redirect to redirect the domain to the specified sub folder of the wp domain.

Joe :slight_smile:

• webezy

Hi Phil and Joe,

Phil this is from my wp-config.php...
    /**
    * For developers: WordPress debugging mode.
    * Change this to true to enable the display of notices during development.
    * It is strongly recommended that plugin and theme developers use WP_DEBUG
    * in their development environments.
    */
    define('WP_DEBUG', false);
    define( 'MULTISITE', true );
    define( 'SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', false );
    $base = '/';
    define( 'DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'stickytrade.com' );
    define( 'PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/' );
    define( 'SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1 );
    define( 'BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1 );
    //For domain mapping plugin
    define( 'SUNRISE', 'on' );

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

Does that look right? Thx

Joe ...I have this site on a dedicated ip if that's what you mean. Thx

• webezy

Hi all,

I have discovered that there are two tables in the database...wp_domain_map and wp_domain_mapping. They both have the same fields...don't know how that happened. Should there be two? I have a feeling that there shouldn't.

Thx Peter

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

referring to adding a domain full of emptiness I mean just to add the domain like you would normally without adding and files to it - the exclusive purpose is to facilitate the redirect :slight_smile:

After checking my databases I will confirm that "domain_mapping" is certainly the correct table and that "domain_map" is not present - of course this is on an install that domain mapping is present and working correctly :slight_smile:

I hope this helps :slight_smile: Let me know :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

almost there .....

this one seems possibly a DNS issue.

I checked ours and we do have an entry in our dns pointing http://www.domain.com to our WP installation which works flawlessly as well as domain.com

When checking the domain mapping table only one entry is present for this domain - domain.com

When typing in http://www.domain.com and it resolves to our WPMS installation it is changed back by WP from http://www.domain.com to just domain.com

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Okay, glad you got it (mostly) working.

The WWW vs non-WWW issue is most likely down to how your server is configured.

You should make sure that all WWW requests are redirected to the non-WWW version. WordPress Multisite doesn't play nice with WWW.

Cheers!
    Phil

• webezy

Thanks Joe and Phil for your input.

I'm not too sure on how to go about this. If I have several users mapping their TLD's to sub-folders on WP Multisite do I have to config for each domain individually? Or can I configure my multisite domain so that it'll work for all users that have mapped domains?

Could you give me some clarification or reference to info on this?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

the majority of the time I speak from direct experience, concerning sub-folders we are not using them so I cannot comment directly based on experience using sub-folders - we are using sub domains.

I'm not too sure on how to go about this. If I have several users mapping their TLD's to sub-folders on WP Multisite do I have to config for each domain individually? Or can I configure my multisite domain so that it'll work for all users that have mapped domains?

It is my opinion the later, that multisite should work for all users that have mapped sub domains without the need for special configuration of each. Once the end user has mapped a domain, wordpress should be handling the routing thereof to the correct sub folder - or as in our case and working correctly sub-domain :slight_smile:

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

You would need to add a redirect in for all your sub-sites, yes. However, the server should be configured at a higher level to redirect all requests to non-WWW *before* the request gets to WordPress.

I'm not exactly sure on how you'd go about this and it's something you'll need to talk to your host about.

Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.