Setting up domain mapping for multi sites.

I really need some help getting multisite working. I have Wordpress installed. I have plugins installed. but have no clue where to go from here. I have tried to read the post about it but, WOW. : )

How do I get past the hurdle and just get it so I can add a domain to any new sites I add to the WordPress multisite area?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello George Thomas,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your questions!

I'll be happy to assist but we'll need to establish a "starting point" first :slight_smile: As you mentioned, you got WordPress and plugins installed already, so let me ask please:

- is it already a WordPress Multisite or still a regular single WP install?
    - if it's a Multisite already, are users able to create their sites or your are still struggling with that?
    - if it's a Multisite, is that sub-domain (sub-sites have URLs like "subsite.domain.com") or sub-folder (sub-sites have URLs like "domain.com/subsite") based?

Would you mind also granting me a support access to your site so I could just review your current setup in order to get a better picture and be able to give you accurate response? You can do this by following this guide:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello George!

Thank you for your response and for granting access.

I checked the site and it's a "sub-folder based" multisite. I can see that Domain Mapping plugin is already installed and enabled there so just a few additional steps are necessary. Let me give you a step by step guide then:

1. Access your WordPress install using FTP or using cPanel's "File Manager"
    2. move (move, not copy!) the "sunrise.php" file from this folder:

/wp-content/plugins/domain-mapping/

to this folder

/wp-content/

It's important to move that file, not copy it.

3. Go to the root folder of your WP install where the "wp-config.php" file is and edit that file; add following line to it:

define('SUNRISE', 'on');

This line should be placed above the line that starts with "/* That's all...".

Once this is done, your Domain Mapping plugin is ready to be used.

Let me know please after you complete these steps. Let me also know if you are using dedicated IP that's used for this site of yours only or if it's shared IP and I'll then tell you how to map domains (use Domain Mapping) depending on that.

Best regards,
    Adam

• George Thomas

Adam,

I did those steps.
    And I was able to grab and paste the iP.

Here is what I would like to be able to do.
    1. Add a new site.
    2. Have the customer point their domain somewhere. Or I purchase and point an address somewhere.
    3. Then the site works.

Is that possible?

Thanks so far for your help. I am just not sure how to map things yet. Fo instance I have fieldstonefarmhoa.com that I want to map to the example site installed.

At this point, I am not looking to be a reseller of domains so that functionality is not needed.

Make sense?

Thanks,
    George

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello George,

Thank you for your replay.

I checked the site and it seems that the Domain Mapping plugin is now fully setup. I have then checked your IP and it seems that it may not a dedicated IP because I can see that there are also multiple other domains pointed to that same IP. That's important because that affects how these "domains to be mapped" should be set up.

In this case the simplest solution would be to follow these steps (I'll stick to the "fieldsonefarmhoa.com" as an example):

1. You need to set that domain in the domain provider dashboard exactly the same way as you would if you would like to setup another site on your server using that domain

2. On your server in cPanel set that very domain as an add-on domain and while you'll be doing this there should be an option to set "root folder" (or "domain root", that's the same) for that domain. This is very important step: change the default value so for that domain it would be exactly the same as it is set for the "keyhoasites.com" domain which is the main domain of your Multisite WordPress setup.

This step will be the same for all the domains that you wish to map to sites of your network.

3. Wait until DNS settings propagate. That may take anything from as little as 10-15 minutes up to as long as 72 hours. Keep checking your "fieldstonefarmhoa.com" domain and when you see that it loads the main site of your multisite and/or redirects to new blog signup page there, you know it's working.

4. Go to the dashboard of your "/example" sub-site and there go to the "Tools -> Domain Mapping" page.

5. On that page there's a form where you put the "fieldstonefarmhoa.com" domain name and... click a button to map it. It should work immediately after its added.

If you have any additional questions on that, let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• George Thomas

Adam,

I am confused. Do I ad the "addon domain" in the cpanel of the main keyhoasites cpanel?
    Or, do I have to create an entire cpanel area in my WHM for fieldstonefarmhoa.com?
    If it is the second, when I try to add it, I get an error saying I can not add my main domain as an addon domain.

The other way, I am getting a 403 error. Will that go away when it propagate?

Sorry to be a pain once I do this right once, I will get it but right now, not so much.

Thanks,
    George

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.