Setting up email accounts on multi-site/domain mapping

Hello!
Is there a tutorial on how to setup an email account for a sub-directory on a multi-site network?

I would like to:
1. Create a sub-directory
2. Use domain mapping to let them use their own domain.
3. Create email accounts using their domain even though they are being hosted on my main domain as they would technically always be a sub-directory.

Seems confusing and I can't find much documentation.

Thank you kindly!

• PC

Hey Jason,

Thanks for posting on the forums. It does get confusing at times :slight_smile:

Lets keep the discussion on and make sure that we get this sorted !

1. Create a sub-directory

I understand that by this you mean to create a subdirectory multisite right ?

2. Use domain mapping to let them use their own domain.

Sure, that is simple

3. Create email accounts using their domain even though they are being hosted on my main domain as they would technically always be a sub-directory.

So you want the user to be able to use email addresses on the mapped domains right ?

That should be simple as creating mx records and doing it. Domain mapping is done via A records (for dedicated IP) and addon domains for shared IP. So if you are using a Dedicated IP, your user would be adding an A record pointing to your IP right ?

If yes, then they can simply create their emails on their domain control panel.

If you have to add the domain as an addon domain in your cpanel to map them to your subsite, then the email address would be created by you !

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC

• Jason

I will try and rephrase just to make sure we are on the same page.

1. I have created a multi-site network on the root level.

2. I am using Pro-sites, domain mapping bolg templates plugins from wpmudev.

3. When I create a new sub-directory site using the prosites/mutli-site installation I would like to use domain mapping so they can use their business domain they own hiding mydomain.com/theirfoldername.

4. I will be creating an email address for them on my cpanel but want to be able to make their email theirname@theirdomain.com with the domain mapping.

5. Lastly how would I backup and migrate their website if they chose to use another host and I wanted to move it over to there?

Here is what the end goal is:
    1. To create a multi-site network that allows me to use "sub-directories" to create their website instead of individual cpanel websites.

2. To create domain mapping of their folder so their unique name "ex:jasonwestbrook.com" can be used instead of my sub-directory folder including email.

3. To use "my blog templates" as the only websites they can choose from but once I setup a new sub-site I can go in and customize.

4. I can backup and migrate their fully functioning website to any host or cpanel if needed.

Hope that helps. Are there user guides for the plugins?

Thanks in Advance! You guys are awesome! So glad I found you!

• Aaron

You can't "domain map" an email address. Email is completely separate from your website, domain mapping, etc.

If a user owns a domain, then to map they point their A record at you. Email goes by the MX records, which can point to anywhere. Many domain sellers will include a limited email service by default and already have the MX records pointing to that. Or they could use any email provider like google apps and point their MX records accordingly.

For you to provide email service yourself, you would need them to point their nameservers NS records at your cpanel install, then you would manually configure an email account for them.

• Brandi

Hi there!

Chiming in on an older post, but thank you in advance for your guidance. I am new to this and am trying to get everything worked out before I dive in. Please correct any steps in which I may be incorrect.

I order their domain through eNom.
    I "host" their site under my main domain.
    I am able, from eNom (?), to point their nameservers to mine and I would treat it as any other addon domain to enable email/create email addresses for them?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.